• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
JAN 23-24 anyone ?

DTWXRISK

The lakes low is really screwing this up. It's stringing it out almost like a wave and preventing a nice closed circulation. Without that you don't get the precip on the west side of the storm. Of course euro could be right but that interaction is bothersome.

Probably preventing at least a weak high from showing up.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably preventing at least a weak high from showing up.

forget a high, I would be elated if that lakes low was simply weaker. Say 1000 mb instead of 993. The problem for us is at our latitude the lakes low is the dominant feature of course further north the low bombs and eventually it's circulation takes over but that looks too late for us.

I'll just jump on this grenade.  Euro is very warm compared to it's older run.  Kind of a has a double barreled look to it at 54.  Any cold at 850 is sucked right out of the storm.  850s pushed above the Mason Dixon line at 54 and 60.  Storm still plenty amped with a track over Edenton, NC.  Way too far west for a good result.  Snowmaps will look very poor for this run of the Euro.

Edit:  The double barrel look is promoting what looks like a dry slot right through VA up into DCA and BWI.  Pretty much went from best to worst global model for the area in one run.

I'll just jump on this grenade. Euro is very warm compared to it's older run. Kind of a has a double barreled look to it at 54. Any cold at 850 is sucked right out of the storm. Snowmaps will look very poor for this run of the Euro.

Edit: The double barrel look is promoting what looks like a dry slot right through VA up into DCA and BWI. Pretty much went from best to worst global model for the area in one run.

No sugar coating. It's an awful run. Gfs in the lead for now. Nw shield looks terrible.

No sugar coating. It's an awful run. Gfs in the lead for now. Nw shield looks terrible.

I stayed up for this $%$#?   Well, not quite ready to give her up for dead yet...no reason to, but things look a lot more bleak than just 12 hours ago.  Some luck we're having...GFS would pick now to possibly lead the way.

I stayed up for this $%$#?   Well, not quite ready to give her up for dead yet...no reason to, but things look a lot more bleak than just 12 hours ago.  Some luck we're having...GFS would pick now to possibly lead the way.

Even though the GFS has a bad precip shield, the thermals are still better than what the Euro is displaying here.  925, 850 both fry with the double barrel structure and no high.  I don't believe the GFS spawns a second low, which is the difference here.

Even though the GFS has a bad precip shield, the thermals are still better than what the Euro is displaying here. 925, 850 both fry with the double barrel structure and no high. I don't believe the GFS spawns a second low, which is the difference here.

And is the double low really how it shakes out? Euro went from a consolidated precip bomb to a strung out roaster in 12 hours. I'm gonna pour a drink

I would think a quickly deepening storm going from 1005 to 988 would generate enough dynamics for us. I'll let the experts chime in on that of course.

I think the problem is the strength of the lakes low. It's 993mb. That means it's the dominant circulation until the gulf low bombs but that's too late for us. You can see how the low has a good circulation and consolidated look down south but as it approaches the influence of the lakes low it gets sheared apart some. What causes the dynamics and precip on the west side of a coastal is the convergence of the cold conveyor belt and the moist flow circulating around the low. The lakes low disrupts that circulation and thus the precip looks broken up on the west side. Still time to trend better. Need either more separation between the lies for less interaction or a weaker lakes low and stronger gulf low. Otherwise we get a crap storm.

Well it looks like we may lose the big storm. But at least we should all see some snow out of this one. It will be interesting to see what the actual strength of the low is down in the FL panhandle tomorrow night. 

Yeah definitely not good trends over the last 24h, probably would have to head out to Davis, WV to see a good snowfall from this, I'm tempted to hope for an inch on the backside but that usually doesn't work out.

Archived