joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
JAN 23-24 anyone ?

DTWXRISK

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't worry too much about the GFS....I realize it is an upgraded version, but I still don't expect it to do well with coastals...it never has....I'm more concerned with warmth and rain than QPF....

agreed

Euro seems to have gotten its footings again (more like the Euro of old that is) with that rain event over the weekend when it had it nailed from 4 or 5 days out predicting high qpf unlike the American models that waffled with little qpf

The GFS took a nice jog southeast with the passage of the 850 mb low.  it tracks southeast of the city, which gives DC proper a much better chance at all or mostly snow.  QPF will probably be difficult to pin down this early, but yeah the Euro is in its deadly range, so it's probably closer to correct than the GFS, and we've been overperforming on qpf this year, so we can throw seasonal trend in there as well. 

21z SREFs:

hr 66 1004mb SLP over OBX

hr 69 1000mb SLP east of ORF by 50-100 miles

850s briefly reach 0c hrs 63 and 66 along the I-95 corridor, but the 0c line never gets NW of I-95 proper it appears

Since we start an end below 0c at 860mb, the staggered timing of SREF members will cause the mean to be too cold. In other words, the mean won't show you getting above 0c, but the median will.

DT's 1st guess looks reasonable to me.  Obviously hugging the Euro, but I think that's fine with a Miller A.  I'm at the junction of 3 of his zones though...guess I'll just take the one I like best.

Me too. I live on the B/H line. High end H beats low end B...so I have time to think which I prefer

DT's 1st guess looks reasonable to me.  Obviously hugging the Euro, but I think that's fine with a Miller A.  I'm at the junction of 3 of his zones though...guess I'll just take the one I like best. 

I'll take the 4-8 zone just cause this seems like the kind of storm where the Fall line/I-95 is the dividing line between slop/mixing and significant snow

Archived