Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
JAN 23-24 anyone ?

DTWXRISK

I believe so.

Thanks. I ask because most of the models have had a decent snowcover cooked into the cake over the next day or two (from the clipper), and I assume they're factoring that into temps Thursday night (which get pretty cold - upper teens in many places). Absent that widespread snowcover....many areas may be much warmer at the surface I'd imagine

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd consider it a better run than last night...everyone gets snow, and it is real borderline who flips....at 69 hours the mid levels are the warmest, and everyone east of a JYO-BWI line goes above 0 at 850,  925mb we are teetering on the edge for parts of the run too... but it honestly is probably like +0.5 or something like that at those 2 levels...I don't consider this a bad run per se'

Believe it or not, it's actually a touch (and I mean smidge) colder @ 850 @ at 12z Saturday than last nights run. DCA is right at 0c or a shade above even through the 0c line is way west. 

Snow to rain to snow but close to less rain/more snow with just a little help from the slp track. This is as marginal as it gets. I mean right on the cusp

I'd consider it a better run than last night...everyone gets snow, and it is real borderline who flips....at 69 hours the mid levels are the warmest, and everyone east of a JYO-BWI line goes above 0 at 850,  925mb we are teetering on the edge for parts of the run too... but it honestly is probably like +0.5 or something like that at those 2 levels...I don't consider this a bad run per se'

Same here.  Even with a slight jog west with the MSLP, rates are overcoming temps especially in the lower portion of the atmosphere.  If we could get the low jog east with the same dynamics..it could be a different ballgame for 95.

Although surface is marginal, the issue is up off the surface at the 850 MB (an others I am sure) levels.. the warmth will cause a mix or rain.. the surface can be in the 30s and snow (like today) but that warm air inflow will get above us and cause a mix or changeover.

Yep, gotcha. I guess I'm just worried about wasting a percentage of the snow that does fall thanks to marginal temps. Is it really a snowstorm if it the roads don't stay covered after the snow stops? existential snow weenie question.

Same here.  Even with a slight jog west with the MSLP, rates are overcoming temps especially in the lower portion of the atmosphere.  If we could get the low jog east with the same dynamics..it could be a different ballgame for 95.

This is what excites me, there are good dynamics...the low is bombing...and the QPF is substantial. Just 30-50 miles east on the low track could be all it takes for more than just the thump. 

Whats the look down toward EZF or a bit (10-15 miles) west of there?

Yeah, at 850 and 925, we warm to about 0.5 or so, based on the maps so it's not terrible.  I like what you've been saying for days - for coastal plain, keep expectations in check that we'll flip to mix/rain for a period of time.  Get this SLP east by like 30 miles and we mix even less. 

Yep, gotcha. I guess I'm just worried about wasting a percentage of the snow that does fall thanks to marginal temps. Is it really a snowstorm if it the roads don't stay covered after the snow stops? existential snow weenie question.

all subjective and personal...every storm has its own characteristics and identity...i try to embrace it....for people who chase 6"+ events (still not off the table for many) with every low off the coast, they will face a lot of disappointment...

Yeah, at 850 and 925, we warm to about 0.5 or so, based on the maps so it's not terrible.  I like what you've been saying for days - for coastal plain, keep expectations in check that we'll flip to mix/rain for a period of time.  Get this SLP east by like 30 miles and we mix even less. 

we might be drier though...an imperfect event befitting of DC....

90% of our good coastals have a warm layer at some point and we see a bit of sleet S&E.  Not a huge concern IMO

Much wetter for the northerner's who are interested. Doubles QPF from 0z run. Looks like a lot of it is snow but it's a close call. 850's briefly get to slightly above 0 around 12z before dropping back to -2 around 18z. Total QPF for event at Westminster is .85 or so.

Sweet, thanks!

I don't buy it either. If the Euro looked like last night or even drier I would be concerned. Now that we are only 60 hours away from the first flakes this run should be taken seriously.

Agreed. Things look especially good in this one up near you guys, but also doesn't take much to boost totals up from what is shown for the cities. 

Relying on dynamics to keep the thermals right is such an amazingly difficult forecast.  If you rip throughout you can get 4+" and if the the heavy banding doesn't pan out you are left with cartopper and wet streets.  This will really test forecaster skills.  Rolling the dice and hoping for a hard eight.

Does anybody have access to the ECMWF snowfall map that they would be willing to post to the digital snow thread?  I think it will be interesting to look back on after this storm rolls through.

Thanks

Cantore posted one on twitter, but it seems to include the Sun/Mon deal as well.

https://twitter.com/JimCantore/status/557967931078742016 

Archived