joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
JAN 23-24 anyone ?

DTWXRISK

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of these use weatherbell's snow algorithm which as we all know has a +snow bias

Absolutely true.  I think they just check if the 850mb is <=0C and the multiply QPF by 10.  Works fine if the column is nice and cold, but could be very misleading for PL/FZRA events or white rain.  But they are fun.     

I'm wondering if snow can survive a trip through 0.5C layer without becoming rain.  I'm thinking that it could and that we could be all heavy wet snow but man that 0.5C layer will give forecasters headaches for the next two days.

Depends on the depth of that layer.  You can actually calculate this exactly using a skew-t diagram, but it's been about 12 years since I've done it.  In a hand-wavey way, it would probably still be snow when it reaches the surface if the layer is 0.5C below 950 or 975mb only.  Much thicker than that and it's probably rain. 

Longtime Lurker.....

I don't usually post, happy to just follow the discussion, but I know several people who are planning to drive various parts of the Baltimore-NY I-95 run. Looking at the panels I have access to, my weenie eyes tell me that somewhere on long there is going to be a very unfun/unsafe drive. Can anyone give me a reason to doubt this conclusion?

Longtime Lurker.....

I don't usually post, happy to just follow the discussion, but I know several people who are planning to drive various parts of the Baltimore-NY I-95 run. Looking at the panels I have access to, my weenie eyes tell me that somewhere on long there is going to be a very unfun/unsafe drive. Can anyone give me a reason to doubt this conclusion?

No.  That drive on Saturday morning could be hairy for sure, even if it is mostly rain. 

Archived