joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
JAN 23-24 anyone ?

DTWXRISK

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys... The NAM just showed areas that got 2 inches of snow TODAY getting .04 qpf FOUR hours before storm onset. Why even look at it?

Because it is one of the many pieces of data that we consider when putting together a forecast, and it's the only new piece of data during the down time between the major globals.  It can be of some use at times.  Clippers are difficult for all of the models, to be fair.

It's amazing that those in the 10K+ post club are putting any stock whatsoever in NAM >h24. They know better and constantly beat that drum, but get caught up in the fine details of these late hour NAM panels.

Understandable if it's just for the sake of tracking and fun, since it's been a relatively slow winter for the snow people.

I know its garbage but it's there so I look. I remember only 24 hours before the dec 09 storm after having a run that gave dc 40" it shifted the heavy snow southeast and DT got all excited and everyone up here was worried then of course the rest of the 0z suite came in and we forgot about it. Sometimes I think I should go back to how it used to be and ignore the off hour runs and obscure stuff to cut down on noise but it's too tempting not to look.

I know its garbage but it's there so I look. I remember only 24 hours before the dec 09 storm after having a run that gave dc 40" it shifted the heavy snow southeast and DT got all excited and everyone up here was worried then of course the rest of the 0z suite came in and we forgot about it. Sometimes I think I should go back to how it used to be and ignore the off hour runs and obscure stuff to cut down on noise but it's too tempting not to look.

Exactly. 

Why do we have to go through this exercise every storm?  This is a weather board.  The NAM is a weather model.  It's ok to talk about it.  It's not ok to base a forecast solely on it.

Exactly. 

Why do we have to go through this exercise every storm?  This is a weather board.  The NAM is a weather model.  It's ok to talk about it.  It's not ok to base a forecast solely on it.

I dunno.. pbp of the NAM is pretty awful. It makes me not want to look at the thread. People should at least try to analyze it or something.. or just stfu. The idea people on the road can read pbp nam is nice but who cares.. they can wait till they are at a computer.

I dunno.. pbp of the NAM is pretty awful. It makes me not want to look at the thread. People should at least try to analyze it or something.. or just stfu. The idea people on the road can read pbp nam is nice but who cares.. they can wait till they are at a computer yellow traffic light.

fixed

I dunno.. pbp of the NAM is pretty awful. It makes me not want to look at the thread. People should at least try to analyze it or something.. or just stfu. The idea people on the road can read pbp nam is nice but who cares.. they can wait till they are at a computer.

I guess.  I don't see the great harm in pbp if it's decent.   As I was saying earlier, some people don't have access to models or it takes forever to load on a phone, etc.   I think the problem comes from bad analysis like "its looks warm".."Warm"  east.  west.  etc.  

RGEM gets precip into DCA by 7PM on Friday....hmmm

There are your high UVV's psuhoffman

The foreign models have looked good in general. We want the amped solution. I know people in Baltimore and dc are used to rooting for an east track because temps are a bigger problem for them then here but in this situation I think no one wins without a juices up bomb. I'd definitely lean that way given history of nam and gfs issues with these type storms. Still, whenever I feel too confident I remember a storm in 2007 when the day before everything had a nice little 3-5" snow from a weak developing coastal and only the nam had nothing. We ignored it if course then next run the storm was gone on all the other models too. Anything is possible. Just because the nam is the worst team in the league doesn't mean it can't win one game.

you get a pass.  Just make it snow and keep being optimistic.

ETA:  It actually looks a little better to me, but meh

I was just comparing 850s.. I'm not fancy enough for the rest. It is a hair north at least for a while.

Archived