joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
JAN 23-24 anyone ?

DTWXRISK

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess. I don't see the great harm in pbp if it's decent. As I was saying earlier, some people don't have access to models or it takes forever to load on a phone, etc. I think the problem comes from bad analysis like "its looks warm".."Warm" east. west. etc.

unless it actually was warmer than its previous run. I am not gonna sit here and defend the Nam. But it did nail one storm already this year. And it has been performing decently. Was it right this run? Who knows. But it was definitely different from its previous run.

Wait, are you two even comparing to the same run? It almost seems like you're comparing to the 18Z run while Ian's comparing to the 12Z run. 

dunno what he was comparing this one to

I always use the prior run, but it's nbd really

bottom line, result looks like less snow than NAM verbatim

Wait, are you two even comparing to the same run? It almost seems like you're comparing to the 18Z run while Ian's comparing to the 12Z run. 

Dumb conversation. I'm comparing it to 18z. Around here the .25 line did shift north a bit but the bulk of the real action all shifted SE by like 50 miles or so.  I was looking at the broader region initially on small SV maps. 850s are also slightly warmer as the low passes..

Talk about a way to be welcomed to Virginia! First night on air tonight and I get to talk about this!? The Shenandoah Valley definitely stands the best chance of picking up accumulating snow, but this will start out as a nice snow event up in DC. However, I'm thinking you guys switch to a sloppy mess before mainly rain by Saturday afternoon. 

Down here in Charlottesville, it's going to be close. The Blue Ridge will definitely be white, but will any of that make it down 3000'? Tough to tell. Hence why I have snow showers mixed with rain during the whole event at this time. 

Again, what a way to be welcomed to Virginia! :lol: 

I know its garbage but it's there so I look. I remember only 24 hours before the dec 09 storm after having a run that gave dc 40" it shifted the heavy snow southeast and DT got all excited and everyone up here was worried then of course the rest of the 0z suite came in and we forgot about it. Sometimes I think I should go back to how it used to be and ignore the off hour runs and obscure stuff to cut down on noise but it's too tempting not to look.

Makes sense.  I think that Cobb product was giving even more than 40 on some of those Dec 09 runs.  Not always useful but fun to look at and for the snow people to fantasize about potential.

as long as the GFS and other models come south with the Monday thing, and I believe history will repeat itself (again), we'll be OK early net week

to that end, this is the 12Z GFS from 1/16 for today's vort....you can see it had it in NE

http://beta.wxcaster.com/loops/gfs_model_loop_archive.php?datetime=2015011612Z%0D%0A&fcsthour=114&type=1000-500_SLPTHKPRP&region=NORTH-AMERICA&loopit=nol

recall too that the clipper earlier this month was proged 4-5 days out to go to our north

Talk about a way to be welcomed to Virginia! First night on air tonight and I get to talk about this!? The Shenandoah Valley definitely stands the best chance of picking up accumulating snow, but this will start out as a nice snow event up in DC. However, I'm thinking you guys switch to a sloppy mess before mainly rain by Saturday afternoon. 

Down here in Charlottesville, it's going to be close. The Blue Ridge will definitely be white, but will any of that make it down 3000'? Tough to tell. Hence why I have snow showers mixed with rain during the whole event at this time. 

Again, what a way to be welcomed to Virginia! :lol:

Welcome to town.  Good luck on your hard forecast this evening.

Personally, i'm thinking front end snow here in Charlottesville. 1-2" followed by a few hours of sleet than rain.  

Welcome to town.  Good luck on your hard forecast this evening.

Personally, i'm thinking front end snow here in Charlottesville. 1-2" followed by a few hours of sleet than rain.  

Thanks! Funny thing is I had 1-4" possible around here on my forecast sheet, so not terribly off. I'm getting thrown to the fire while trying to learn the quirks of forecasting here. Add in learning a new weather computer system and it's even more exciting! Should be fun for this Florida boy to forecast/experience this winter weather! :lol:

Archived