• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
JAN 23-24 anyone ?

DTWXRISK

Yeah looks to have 36 for a high in Baltimore. My forecast for tomorrow is 40, so Baltimore would be a few degrees higher for sure.

NAM has been meh on cold this winter overall. It seemed not as terrible with yesterday's clipper but I think the GFS still did better. The onset part could be legit otherwise though.. that's an area the NAM could have strength. I honestly have only been glancing.. if it's a new look you def want to see it more than one run.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

problem with the Tropical Tidbits is it ain't snow at 30 hrs at BWI like their map shows

here is the sounding

http://68.226.77.253/text/NAM80km/NAM_Kbwi.txt

here's the 30 hr. precip type map

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=nam4km&region=neus&pkg=ref_frzn&runtime=2015012300&fh=30&xpos=0&ypos=228

that said, there's probably 2-3" of snow before a switch

Yes, the NAM definitely has problems with temps. For the clippers and the 11/26, it was so much better than the GFS for surface during-precip temps, though. The GFS was nowhere near 32F for any place in the DC metro region during the snow yesterday while the HiRes NAM kept suburban MD near and below freezing during the precip. IAD easily made it down to 32F as well as all the elevated suburban spots. I noticed it with 11/26 too--- even though snow was having a hard time sticking downtown, temps were 33-34 during the heaviest.

That could be true/makes sense. It should also be a NAM strength. GFS seemed OK for the clipper to me, it will of course often miss temps in good rates. Around here a few degrees to start matters a lot though esp if it's a limited run at a chance to accumulate. On a dry day even with clouds it's been running way cold almost all winter. When I day to day forecast lately I barely even factor it in for temps.

Problem with the NAM is it's almost guaranteed too cold during the day tomorrow. After that not sure but that has to have some impact.

I think it's worth mentioning what the NAM is forecasting in our CWH with a mention that if it is right, some of the western folks could get a significant snowstorm but that it often is a little cold and is often too wet.  I think how wet it is is part of why it is colder.  I still wouldn't significantly change the forecast until the Euro and/or GFS follow suit. 

Yes, the NAM definitely has problems with temps. For the clippers and the 11/26, it was so much better than the GFS for surface during-precip temps, though. The GFS was nowhere near 32F for any place in the DC metro region during the snow yesterday while the HiRes NAM kept suburban MD near and below freezing during the precip. IAD easily made it down to 32F as well as all the elevated suburban spots. I noticed it with 11/26 too--- even though snow was having a hard time sticking downtown, temps were 33-34 during the heaviest.

This is true.  Temperatures dropped at the onset of the snow and really only started going up after it ended yesterday.  Eyeballing the NAM, we lose the 850s by around 06Z Saturday in the DC metro area, and surface temps are just above freezing.  By then, a fair amount of precip would have fallen according to the model.  Afterward, precip is lighter and it does warm near the surface.

it's snow...we might have a couple hour window for snow TV and maybe 1"?

yeah I looked at a sounding before posting my looks like 2 for me comment. def snow thru then though it's close.. already about .25" at that point. hadn't looked at sfc yet tho. it's not the worst for at night I guess.

I'm guessing at the onset I'll be like 41 :(

GFS MOS 43 for a high tomorrow probably not a bad target it's been doing well. currently 38 at 0z, so with precip maybe not terrible.. esp if that's DCA.

I think it's worth mentioning what the NAM is forecasting in our CWH with a mention that if it is right, some of the western folks could get a significant snowstorm but that it often is a little cold and is often too wet.  I think how wet it is is part of why it is colder.  I still wouldn't significantly change the forecast until the Euro and/or GFS follow suit. 

I agree.  Perhaps this could be hints of dynamic cooling?

Timing's not bad considering. Clouds much or all day might help us from super maxing on temps.. and will cut down on the increasing sun angle (hi Randy). I just don't really trust the nam on those types of precip details even 24 hours out.

I agree.  Perhaps this could be hints of dynamic cooling?

But is right, it tends to sometimes be too wet and cold.   There's always a chance it could be right but right now it's probably wise to wait for the GFS and Euro.  The NAM did not really distinguish itself with our last clipper.  The GFS actually did better though both it and the NAm had temps crashing at least across BWi to my house. 

Timing's not bad considering. Clouds much or all day might help us from super maxing on temps.. and will cut down on the increasing sun angle (hi Randy). I just don't really trust the nam on those types of precip details even 24 hours out.

Hi-RES gives us 1" QPF...

Both models have a high of 40-41, but drop us to 33 by 8-9pm, since a wall of precip comes in at like 5pm...good start time...

it got worse as we got closer...it is not a very good model....but I think it lends credence to the idea that it is close enough that maybe we get front thumped....I can't wait for my 0.5"

Yeah and some of the bust were details we maybe shouldn't expect it to get. This is a different beast anyway and it's in a range where it's actually worth looking at. May have to stay up for Euro..

Archived