Newest Member
    joxey
We have a Dream MLK Disco Jan 18 Possible Wave on front

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think that has been in question here, My focus is NW Maine

Not if that hideous 12z gfs were to verify.  Clayton Lake with 2.5" of 33F rain in 15 hr, Greenville upper 30s with 3"+?  Riders would need to stick to ridgeline trails for a while.  Bizarre how gfs went from 1"+ qpf at RUM on yesterday's runs, to 0.06" for 06z, then 3.3" just 6 hr later.  Cover-your-eyes awful.

I would bet against it...but I'm not sure you can discount it. I see scenarios where it can happen. 00z Euro was pretty close actually. We'll see what 12z does.

Yeah I feel much better with the EURO staying east. If that ticked west and the UKMET west, GFS made a huge jump west...would've been more worrisome but I think the EURO is finally figuring it out. I'd just ride that model for now.

Last nights 00z was a big red flag when all other models went to glorified FROPA. I actually followed the other guidance and advised no storm at our OPs meeting, lol. Guess who looks like a clown now.

Yeah I feel much better with the EURO staying east. If that ticked west and the UKMET west, GFS made a huge jump west...would've been more worrisome but I think the EURO is finally figuring it out. I'd just ride that model for now.

Last nights 00z was a big red flag when all other models went to glorified FROPA. I actually followed the other guidance and advised no storm at our OPs meeting, lol. Guess who looks like a clown now.

Well there's still a chance you could come out looking ok...it wasn't that far away from being very little qpf on the Euro.

What an ugly system though for model guidance. They've struggled with this setup.

Not if that hideous 12z gfs were to verify.  Clayton Lake with 2.5" of 33F rain in 15 hr, Greenville upper 30s with 3"+?  Riders would need to stick to ridgeline trails for a while.

I have my doubts the GFS will verify anything at this time, For down this way, Its time to turn towards the mid week clipper next week

I still maintain that everything would have to break right for the interior to see more than a coating to 1 with the exception of the northern Berks and northern ORH where someone could sneak in a bit higher

You'd need like a GFS soltuion a bit southeast to get even advisory snows into the higher terrain of SNE...I'm pretty doubtful of that.

The weaker frontal wave idea (like the Euro) pretty much guarantees no snow for SNE except for some wet flakes at the end if that ends up verifying.

You can see from the set up how tiny differences in storm track effect the timing of the phasing and this makes huge differences with the final outcome.  Solutions ranging from FROPA with some warm moisture all the way to spun up coastal storms means this thing rides on the razors edge.  The storm is essentially balancing on the tip of a pencil - we all know it will fall the question is in which direction.

To me it looks like a late phase is the most likely outcome - hopefully throwing some moisture north and west from the center of the SLP.

You'd need like a GFS soltuion a bit southeast to get even advisory snows into the higher terrain of SNE...I'm pretty doubtful of that.

The weaker frontal wave idea (like the Euro) pretty much guarantees no snow for SNE except for some wet flakes at the end if that ends up verifying.

yes I agree. It is looking more and more likely that everything will not break right so we might as well root for the system to be weaker and progressive and get the heck out of the way and give enough spacing and weaker confluence to allow the clipper to organize itself and intensify into a solid advisory event for the region.

The weaker frontal wave idea (like the Euro) pretty much guarantees no snow for SNE except for some wet flakes at the end if that ends up verifying.

The silver lining with the weaker frontal passage is that it leaves room for the clipper to amplify.  It seems like a win-win solution to me for Central and Northern VT.  Either they get some snow on Monday or they get some snow with the next system.  Hopefully we don't roll a snake eyes.

My point and click forecast for Sunday night is calling for 3 to 7 inches of snow,.

Here is the BTV AFD:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BTV&issuedby=BTV&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

LOW PRESSURE OFF THE VIRGINIA COAST
SUNDAY MORNING WILL MOVE NORTHEAST INTO SOUTHEAST NEW HAMPSHIRE
AND CONTINUING NORTHEAST LATE SUNDAY NIGHT. THERE WILL BE A VERY
SHARP GRADIENT OF PRECIPITATION ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SYSTEM AND
WHILE THERE IS STILL SOME VARIABILITY IN THE DATA...THE TREND
SEEMS TO BE FOR COLDER TEMPERATURES ALOFT MAKING IT MORE FAVORABLE
FOR SNOW...BUT LESS PRECIPITATION. AT THIS TIME COULD SEE AN INCH
OR TWO SUNDAY NIGHT FOR NORTHERN NEW YORK AND 3 TO 6 INCHES ACROSS
VERMONT WITH THE HIGHER NUMBERS OVER CENTRAL AND EASTERN VERMONT.

And Gray:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=GYX&issuedby=GYX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

A STRONG SHORT WAVE TROUGH WILL APPROACH FROM THE WEST ON SUNDAY
AND THIS WILL AID IN SFC LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPMENT ON THE MID
ATLANTIC COASTLINE. THIS LOW IS THEN EXPECTED TO MOVE
NORTHEASTWARD ACROSS OUR COASTAL PLAIN SUNDAY NIGHT.

THE SYSTEM LOOKS TO BE A JUICY ONE WITH PLENTY OF QPF. HIGH
UNCERTAINTY REMAINS IN THE TEMPERATURE PROFILES SUNDAY AND SUNDAY
NIGHT. THEREFORE...HIGH UNCERTAINTY EXISTS IN PRECIPITATION
TYPE...ESPECIALLY AWAY FROM THE COAST. THE CURRENT EXPECTATION IS
THAT SOUTHERN ZONES AS WELL AS THE COASTAL PLAIN WILL BE MAINLY
RAIN. ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS AND THE CT RIVER VALLEY...THE COLUMN
WILL BE COLDER...AND PERHAPS JUST COLD ENOUGH FOR HEAVY
SNOW...ESPECIALLY NORTHERNMOST ZONES. THEREFORE IT/S POSSIBLE THAT
WINTER STORM WATCHES WILL NEED TO BE ISSUED FOR A PORTION OF THE
MOUNTAINS TONIGHT. AT THIS TIME...CONFIDENCE IS NOT HIGH ENOUGH
TO DO SO. JUST A 25-50 MILE SHIFT IN LOW TRACK COULD MEAN THE
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HEAVY SNOW AND HEAVY RAIN.

THE MAIN BULK OF THE PRECIPITATION LOOKS TO FALL SUNDAY AFTERNOON
AND NIGHT AND SHOULD CLEAR OUT MONDAY MORNING. GIVEN AN INCH+
QPF...SOME URBAN FLOODING PROBLEMS COULD ARISE ON THE COASTAL
PLAIN.

Archived