CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Jan 3-4 Storm Threat

CT Valley Snowman

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Experience tells me we'll see a coating to an inch with this setup. Maybe we'll luck out and get advisory amounts with the clipper.

You'll do better than that I think. I don't know where all the swan dives came from. Maybe instead of 2-4 it's closer to 2? LOL, this place makes me laugh at times.

Experience tells me we'll see a coating to an inch with this setup. Maybe we'll luck out and get advisory amounts with the clipper.

Regarding that clipper, if that doesn't dive more south, and begin to develop some in the ocean, I think the qpf from that will be quite paltry at best.  I know it will be fluff, but that can only take you so far too.  A couple inches would probably be all if it doesn't develop in time for SNE...IMHO. 

If we do get some development in time, then things could get interesting for SNE if that becomes more of a possibility as we approach that timeframe.

I'm thinking 2 here then hours of sleet, an hour of zr then rain and hoping to keep a bit thru Sunday

I don't think that Two inches will hold up when the temps on Sunday will be near 60 degrees...that type of warmth will kill that two inches in quick order for sure.

If you were closer to 45 on Sunday, it would be a different story, but those temps on Sunday are going to kill whatever we get here in CT.  Sad but true.

I don't think that Two inches will hold up when the temps on Sunday will be near 60 degrees...that type of warmth will kill that two inches in quick order for sure.

If you were closer to 45 on Sunday, it would be a different story, but those temps on Sunday are going to kill whatever we get here in CT. Sad but true.

Its not going to be anywhere near 60 here on Sunday

Its not going to be anywhere near 60 here on Sunday

I disagree. But we will see.  Guidance isn't backing off on the warmth for Sunday Kevin, in fact it's been increasing the temps as we get closer.  So if you are 57 it's not going to make much difference either...those are some 20-25 degrees above Normal.  Snow doesn't last to long with temps like that...even at Mount Tollland.

Who else is intrigued by the short duration sensible changes this system has to offer the region ?? 

There is so much meteorology available to this thing, it's astounding really ... and equally amazing that 99% of the content in here is utterly fixated by snow, which in total will probably be the least prolific aspect of this system.  

Is there any awareness there at all ..?  

Anyway, 30kt sustained SSW flow coming into eastern CT/RI, and eventually spreading running up over the top of shallow residual chill left over by retreating high, really means one of the more spectacular 24-hour weather changes in store. This could rival some very impressive back-door events we've observed in April, only going the other way. 

I still have yet to see a back-door event even come close to rivaling that which took place in 1998, late March.  91F ...39 the next morning at UML.  

This event won't be that extreme, but I think of places like 1,000 feet high ORH there at Pyramids D. Golf, and the Air Port right next door, where they will have snow --> ice --> rain, and probably a temp jolt clear to the mid 50s or more, all inside of 18 hours.  That's sick.  I am also wondering how fast the cold crashes later that night. 

Actually ... congratulations!!  There was a debate about the warm up on Sunday... word!

That's the only way to forewarn the public something is coming. There is no wwa precursor.

That's what I had suggested earlier.  It didn't seem that either the snow or ice would meeting a warning criteria, but otherwise folks would be caught off guard on what could be a dicey situation for a few hours.

If you don't view him as a chronic complainer, then I'm simply at a loss.

You're crazy. I think you're confusing 'complaining' with 'worrying'.  :)

28.4/15

I really fail to see why some peeps are viewing Mike's (or mine) as b*tching. Just stating what Box has done and how it lines up with earlier thinking.

Jeesh

Well nobody has seen anything exciting in a while (at all), and i mean , if this talk were at a gtg , its all in good fun. On the board it sometimes is not clear. Also at some level no one wants their winter event poo pooed anymore

And i agree its worrying

If you read the box discussion it says western areas might need to be upgraded to a warning later on

That's what I had suggested earlier. It didn't seem that either the snow or ice would meeting a warning criteria, but otherwise folks would be caught off guard on what could be a dicey situation for a few hours.

You're crazy. I think you're confusing 'complaining' with 'worrying'. :)

28.4/15

Archived