• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Jan 3-4 Storm Threat

CT Valley Snowman

The HWO from BOX is enough to raise spirits a little bit.

16.2/4

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.

THERE IS A MODERATE CHANCE FOR ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL...MAINLY AWAY
FROM THE COAST...SATURDAY NIGHT BEFORE A MIX WITH SLEET AND/OR
FREEZING RAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT. PRECIPITATION WILL EVENTUALLY CHANGE
OVER TO RAIN DURING SUNDAY MORNING.

THERE IS A LOW TO MODERATE PROBABILITY THAT WINTER WEATHER
HEADLINES WILL BE NEEDED ACROSS PORTIONS OF INTERIOR SOUTHERN NEW
ENGLAND SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY.

THERE IS A LOW PROBABILITY OF BLUSTERY WEST TO NORTHWEST WIND
GUSTS OF 40 TO 50 MPH ON MONDAY.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GYX afternoon discussion was bullish on this event, considering the issues and its being barely inside 100 hr.  Hope they're on target.  :santa:

Excerpt:

This storm is still several days away but confidence it increasing that much of

the area could receive 6" or more of snow through the weekend

along with spotty ice accretions.

I read the same thing happily.  I went from this thread of deflated expectations, thinking I had to adjust my thinking from 6-10 to 3-6.  Now I am at 4-8, happily

12/8. Cold

Looking at the next few days this will not be a "stale" cold air mass heading into "go time" with this system. Based on past experience for this area the CAD won't scour out quickly unless the models really swing toward a wound up Low cutting W with that E Canada high on an express train out.

N of RT 2 still looks decent front end.

I read the same thing happily.  I went from this thread of deflated expectations, thinking I had to adjust my thinking from 6-10 to 3-6.  Now I am at 4-8, happily

4-8" is probably a good place to sit right now. A little warmer and it could be near 4", a little colder and it could be near 8". These storms move quickly though, so there is an upper limit, and that likely will be reached somewhere a little further north and east where they can hang onto the cold longer.

As we slip inside of 4 days there is still plenty of time for details, but we're starting to come into range of some higher resolution guidance.

For instance, NAM profiles on Bufkit are picking up the storm at the tail end of it's range. You can see how it handles the low levels, versus the GFS. The GFS profiles warm in one big chunk to above freezing below 700 mb early Sunday, even this far north. The NAM warms quickly too, but only in the 800-700 mb layer, while the surface (and especially 925 mb) stays cold.

Even though it is the NAM near 84 hours, I will still be blending in some of its lower level guidance in my forecast later.

Also interesting to note the profiles (NAM and GFS) right around onset of precipitation. Especially across the interior you have like a 300 mb deep layer within a degree or two of ideal dendritic growth. If you factor in our marine environment tends to raise the temperatures necessary for dendritic growth slightly, that could mean a several hour period of excellent snow growth early on. As we know, these SWFE tend to come in as a wall, and this would certainly support that.

Also interesting to note the profiles (NAM and GFS) right around onset of precipitation. Especially across the interior you have like a 300 mb deep layer within a degree or two of ideal dendritic growth. If you factor in our marine environment tends to raise the temperatures necessary for dendritic growth slightly, that could mean a several hour period of excellent snow growth early on. As we know, these SWFE tend to come in as a wall, and this would certainly support that.

Yeah a lot of deep layer lift. You'll probably have a nice classic CF too enhancing the snow before it torches aloft, esp up there.

Yeah a lot of deep layer lift. You'll probably have a nice classic CF too enhancing the snow before it torches aloft, esp up there.

Yeah initially I can see Cape Elizabeth above freezing, while parts of Portland near the turnpike will be in the mid 20s. Even at 84 hours I like that the NAM has GYX rotting at 33 F overnight Saturday.

Nammy being Nammy with the QPF. Almost 1" liquid here before mixing. I haven't looked closely, but maybe it's a little more potent with the isentropic upglide with the deeper low-level cold dome.

I would say so. Ripping 65 knots up the 290 K surface, about 150 mb lift traveling from LI to your area.

There's definitely some indication that there could be a several hour icing event over the interior after the initial snow thump...and we'll have to watch that snow thump. Some guidance has it pretty good for about 3-4 hours on the front end.

This is an unusual cold relative to the big picture (synopsis).  You don't typically see any negative departures when the 500mb flow is SW, and there is a 594dm closed height contour over the Bahamas.  

post-904-0-24351100-1420129686_thumb.jpg

..But if it were not for the antecedent -EPO and the completely random, lucky timing of nuance confluence N providing a back-up polar high pressure to offer the lower troposphere/boundary layer inhibition, we'd be talking an entirely different picture with this thing.  

It's pretty lucky that there is any talk of any snow ...let alone ice, when looking at that 500mb surface in the above attachment. 594dm in December?!   I mean, THAT is the interesting Meteorology.

I find this arrangement with a lucky high against all ... as being sort of masking the already troubled status this winter is fast becoming.  It's kind of a like a PR campaign in the aftermath of some sort of political scandal - ha.  

I was looking at the Euro freeby charts from the 00z run, and that just hands down looks like a warm fropa there... All the way to upper CNE. You got the entire region south of there, and east of central New York, in the triangular barotropic, isobaric layout.   

It looks like this ...

post-904-0-39036400-1420130406_thumb.jpg

To me, the interesting aspect about the Friday through Monday period of time isn't the fragile moments of snow and ice (yeah, or few hours, whatever) that will in the end prove gossamer and gone, it's the geopotential anomaly off the SE U.S. coast. 

Well you def will get 3-4 inches. And maybe keep some of it.. That's still debatable. But down here it's an hour or 2 of snow and sleet then quick torch and rain

That will be fun to see (and as I called it a few days ago).

Rain this time of year is always pretty to see.  Is nice to see the trend continuing as we head into the 2nd month of met winter.

Archived