joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 3-4 Storm Threat

CT Valley Snowman

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Euro ensembles mean looked a little better with the high than the OP run FWIW. But I'd still like to see a shift west on the high to be more confident in a solid front end thump (advisory or better).

That vortmax gets ground up fairly quickly as it moves northeast, so I think we're still going to see some moving around of solutions in the next day or so. But tonight's 00z runs will be getting inside of 96 hours, so its starting to get to that point where the goalposts narrow.

I wouldn't hug any solution at 102-108 hours out.

I'd probably blend guidance at this stage and lean on local climo in these types of situations (advisory snow north of the pike, 1-3 south, with N ORH, Berks, Monads, etc holding onto a period of icing after the snow...shorter period of icing south of there)

But these are details that can change as we get closer. Still quite a bit of time.

00z suite didn't cool things as much as I hoped...though that antecedent airmass is really impressive.

I'm inclined to lean toward a 2-4" type snow in the pike region on the front end right now with icing over the interior NW of of 495 for a time which could get kind of nasty.

I do lean on a triple point low going over SE MA or islands right now with the airmass in place...but can't rule out a more consolidated primary like the OP Euro...but these situations more often than not have a triple point low.

I wouldn't hug any solution at 102-108 hours out.

I'd probably blend guidance at this stage and lean on local climo in these types of situations (advisory snow north of the pike, 1-3 south, with N ORH, Berks, Monads, etc holding onto a period of icing after the snow...shorter period of icing south of there)

But these are details that can change as we get closer. Still quite a bit of time.

2-5", followed by a period of sleet and rain..done 

00z suite didn't cool things as much as I hoped...though that antecedent airmass is really impressive.

I'm inclined to lean toward a 2-4" type snow in the pike region on the front end right now with icing over the interior NW of of 495 for a time which could get kind of nasty.

I do lean on a triple point low going over SE MA or islands right now with the airmass in place...but can't rule out a more consolidated primary like the OP Euro...but these situations more often than not have a triple point low.

Will what do you think it looks like up in NH?  GYX says .5-1 inch qpf on all ensembles.  Sounds like a 5-10 inch deal once north of Rt 2 and away from the immediate coast?

Hopefully this is a SWFE with good snow growth and not the sand I've seen a couple of times

Would that scenario warm most folks above freezing?

What makes you iron clad 100% sure that everyone torches to the NH border? And will everyone's snow totally melt?

You as in You, Kevin Wood. Besides, these things always mix out CAD when they pass NE of us. Even Dendrite jokes how is warm front is actually a cold front. But in this case, you'll go above 32 during the event and without a doubt in Sunday. Not before some snow and ice. Relax. 

What makes you iron clad 100% sure that everyone torches to the NH border? And will everyone's snow totally melt?

You derived all that from "you won't stay below 32"?

I'll be at killington next week, I think the models eventually trend colder but given thier elevation the mid levels can make things tricky.

Will what do you think it looks like up in NH? GYX says .5-1 inch qpf on all ensembles. Sounds like a 5-10 inch deal once north of Rt 2 and away from the immediate coast?

Hopefully this is a SWFE with good snow growth and not the sand I've seen a couple of times

Prob not a bad forecast right now. 10 might be too high on a lot of these solutions. I'd prob want to be further northeast for that in Maine somewhere. But it's quite early to get too nitpicky on amounts.

You as in You, Kevin Wood. Besides, these things always mix out CAD when they pass NE of us. Even Dendrite jokes how is warm front is actually a cold front. But in this case, you'll go above 32 during the event and without a doubt in Sunday. Not before some snow and ice. Relax.

Well there never was much doubt most south of NH border go above freezing . But I guess our main concern is do we all torch into the 40's, or can we all stay in the 30's and keep some snowcover? That's our concern if you will

Amazing how the lack of a -NAO allows these storms an almost guarantee to cut to our west. Sunday jumps to near 50F for a few hours sandwiched between significant cold. I remember years like this in the past. Are we actually getting close to the lock in point for Sunday's storm or should we expect further swings to west/east, etc.

Well there never was much doubt most south of NH border go above freezing . But I guess our main concern is do we all torch into the 40's, or can we all stay in the 30's and keep some snowcover? That's our concern if you will

Probably 40s at some point given how warm it gets aloft. Whether it's 39 or 45 is silly to speculate.

A few hours of cold rain in the lower 40s prob would not get rid of 2-4" of snow. Some for sure but I would think a little would survive

Archived