CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Jan 3-4 Storm Threat

CT Valley Snowman

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we tossing GFS profile and MEX now with other guidance colder or do we think torch roars north?

I'm pretty sure most people up to at least CON o so will get into the 40s eventually...perhaps 50+, but the question is how long. It might just be for a few hours on SW winds post FROPA if the triple point low is more defined.

Everyone is going to mix out at some point Sunday.

My call at this point (a guess as much as anything) is for 3-4 before the changeover with 1-2 remaining prior to the deep freeze  as you head from Mitch to me to Dave.  Obviously more as you go further north and less as you head below.

26.4/8

What we may see is an explosion of precip almost over the pike region give or take 50 miles...it's not completely just going to be dependent on temps aloft, but how good the precip comes down...there's a nice burst of omega that pops up almost over SNE...the GFS is actually a bit too far north for us, but the Euro and NAM show it a bit more favorable.

IF we can get that nice burst for 3-4 hours, then we could see some low end advisory amounts. But if something like the GFS verifies, it would be more like 3-4 hours of SN- that probably only accumulates an inch or so in most spots before a flip.

What we may see is an explosion of precip almost over the pike region give or take 50 miles...it's not completely just going to be dependent on temps aloft, but how good the precip comes down...there's a nice burst of omega that pops up almost over SNE...the GFS is actually a bit too far north for us, but the Euro and NAM show it a bit more favorable.

IF we can get that nice burst for 3-4 hours, then we could see some low end advisory amounts. But if something like the GFS verifies, it would be more like 3-4 hours of SN- that probably only accumulates an inch or so in most spots before a flip.

Seems like the GFS has the LLJ further west which may explain it. That's a real cold airmass so I would guess there is a band or two of decent snows that move in..esp ORH and north and west.

Snowfall and ice maps from the good peeps at GYX. I'll be reporting live from Saddleback Mountain near Rangeley tonight thru Sunday. Should be fun times :) :)

I'll be looking for the Saddleback reports. I think they'll be in a prime position to hang onto the snow for longer than most.

BOX's take on accumulations (curiously, I don't see a map of progged ice accretion).  Hopefully the mid-levels can hold off the warm onslaught to make those 4-6 ranges realistic.  I had thought those would be the case earlier, but I tempered my expectations a notch yesterday.

Not sure if the watch is warranted since neither snow nor ice will likely meet criteria. But, I guess if the mid-levels could stay cold a couple hours longer, criteria might be met.  Also, I know advisories tend to be somewhat shorter fused--perhaps the watch will just heighten public awareness and they can scale back to WWA in subsequent releases.

Archived