wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Jan 3-4 Storm Threat

CT Valley Snowman

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4-6" looks good here with some PL and then changeover to DZ, There won't be very much ZR with this storm down in the lower elevations anyways, In the foothills and mountains, A different story

GYX talks about a cold layer between 1K and 2K.   675 here.

It seems to have sped up to a chance of snow in the afternoon here and then snow in the evening.  Wouldn't mind it speeding up some more...horrible to miss a burst of heavy snow during the overnight, that has changed over by the time you wake up.  We can probably start to use the NAM and mesos now.  Hope we see good trends in the 12Z runs.

It seems to have sped up to a chance of snow in the afternoon here and then snow in the evening.  Wouldn't mind it speeding up some more...horrible to miss a burst of heavy snow during the overnight, that has changed over by the time you wake up.  We can probably start to use the NAM and mesos now.  Hope we see good trends in the 12Z runs.

These tend to come in faster then modeled typically

NAM is still pretty impressive with that initial WAA fronto-band. Pretty fast transition though between the CT/MA border at 00z and up near Ray's area and LWM by 03z...and that is when the precip is heaviest.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a raging pellet storm for about 2-3 hours too just after the initial snow burst flips over. Still really cold at 900-950mb level for a couple hours.

Will this be a wet heavy snow or more powder?

The first .5" of snow will be powdery.  The second .5" of snow will be less so.  :)

Agreed--let's be able to enjoy the short-lived wintry stuff while we can.

...and leave faster.

Unfortunately the mid-level warmth often seems to move in more quickly than modeled but that just might be my jaded, biased opinion. lol

And the lower-level warmth slower.

What's the take on how much of the qpf is snow vs. ip vs. zr vs. rn?

30.8/17

I totally agree with this. Especially with SWFE type things

GYX says as much.

But you know....

It's all about da burst 

bout da burst

no fizzle

Its pretty clear

it can dump on you

if it want to

it got da boom boom

at the front end 

that all the weenies chases

it got some heavy dumping

hopefully at the right places

I see the warm aloft on the models

We hope that **** ain't real

Come on now make it stop

12z RGEM is also pretty impressive with the intial burst. That would be advisory snows for a good chunk of MA.

SN_000_048_0000.gif

Yeah i noticed the high held on longer up here on this run, Looks like 12z GFS is a shade colder then 06z as well, Even buying another hour or two will make a big difference on totals for some

Yeah i noticed the high held on longer up here on this run, Looks like 12z GFS is a shade colder then 06z as well, Even buying another hour or two will make a big difference on totals for some

An extra hour or two of good rates can make the difference between 'yeah' and 'meh'.

Congrats 290 corridor on the RGEM.  :)

GFS is still pretty weak though with the initial WAA fronto-band for SNE...its slightly better than the last couple runs, but still far weaker than the NAM/RGEM. It wouldn't produce much more than an inch or so of snow.

I'd lean toward the others right now, but wouldn't place 100% weight on them. So I think 2-4 is a decent call for pike region northward near NH border...higher amounts of that range the further north you are.

GFS is still pretty weak though with the initial WAA fronto-band for SNE...its slightly better than the last couple runs, but still far weaker than the NAM/RGEM. It wouldn't produce much more than an inch or so of snow.

I'd lean toward the others right now, but wouldn't place 100% weight on them. So I think 2-4 is a decent call for pike region northward near NH border...higher amounts of that range the further north you are.

Yeah--the GFS does not build excitement for a wintry outcome.

It's weak sauce but there nonetheless...  The NAM picks it up more depicted in the QPF, but the mid level does offer a nod to its solution. It's regarding about a 4 hour ANA window, just post fropa.   I'd watch for some crashing thickness/flashiness with light rain over to light snow later Sunday evening.  The NAMs had this every cycle -- don't have a lot of on-going faith in that guidance source at this time, but most guidance has a 500mb jet streak riding up west of the baroclinic axis Sunday night, and it "could" expand some lagging. . 

Lack of any commentary after the brief GFS feedback is a little disconcerting.  Any thoughts based on GGEM/EC for this system before the blowtorch that comes through on Sunday?

Euro looked decent, probably closer to the NAM/RGEM than the GFS for the front end snows.

I'm not sure even the interior can avoid a 6 hour torch though on SW winds after FROPA. We don't really advect the good cold in until Sunday night.

Euro looked decent, probably closer to the NAM/RGEM than the GFS for the front end snows.

I'm not sure even the interior can avoid a 6 hour torch though on SW winds after FROPA. We don't really advect the good cold in until Sunday night.

Thanks--hopefully we'll get enough front end that we're not staring at brown grass when all is said and done.  But, rain and six hours of 55* will certainly damage the wintry appeal.

29.7/16

Archived