wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Jan 3-4 Storm Threat

CT Valley Snowman

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's so close, razor's edge really. I expect it to be rain, but it won't be very far inland where we could have trouble. PWM is like +1 at the surface.

I haven't looked hard up there, but just a cursory glance looked like a lot of sleet.  That cold shot tonight sets the stage of those temps below 950 not wanting to warm much. maybe even 900 for a time. But, if the NAM is too warm, all bets are off. 

I haven't looked hard up there, but just a cursory glance looked like a lot of sleet.  That cold shot tonight sets the stage of those temps below 950 not wanting to warm much. maybe even 900 for a time. But, if the NAM is too warm, all bets are off. 

Some pretty large inversions showing up in the soundings I'm checking out. Just a little concerning to see so many hovering around 32 at the surface.

Some pretty large inversions showing up in the soundings I'm checking out. Just a little concerning to see so many hovering around 32 at the surface.

The meso models like Will mentioned are developing a little meso low too. That's sort of an eyebrow raiser since that could pull low level cold back south to cstl NH and ME

Down here, it looks like ti could rip sleet for a couple hours before going to ZR...the sounding is pretty cold in the lower levels even after that for a few hours longer, but I've noticed (and this is also in some old antiquated techniques) once the max temp in the warm layer gets above roughly 3-4C, then sleet is very difficult to produce, even with a really cold lower 100mb. I'm guessing the water droplets warm up enough to the point where they are difficult to refreeze into ice pellets...probably once they completely lose any remnant frozen core, it gets much tougher.

Thanks for that because it is very informative for a weather weenie trying to learn the dynamics. 

I'm thinking minimal snow really anywhere along and south of the pike. That mid level warmth surges in quick and It will be tough the further southwest you are. I think N ORH county, berks, ne ma have the best shot at 2-3" before a changeover. Going to be a lot of pelting for some as others have mentioned. Low level cold will try to hang on but the mid levels will not be denied. Maybe an inch in Boston if were lucky I'm thinking. Some of those elevated interior areas I mentioned earlier might not even achieve as much as they think. Could be some toasters if people don't prepare themselves. Going to be a lot like the other sloppy events we have had this winter involving the kitchen sink. 850T might look to be subzero with qpf falling but there may be sneaky warm layers at other levels that arrive early with a bad attitude.

Congrats mpm on the warning

Curious that they have it up for 3-5 and what looks like up to .3 of ice if both p-types were to play out.  Isn't warning criteria for ice .5"? 

Hopefully, we'll have the ground covered after the warmth and rain on Sunday.  Pretty confident that will be the case in Hampshire Hamden and much of ORH county.

Curious that they have it up for 3-5 and what looks like up to .3 of ice if both p-types were to play out.  Isn't warning criteria for ice .5"? 

Hopefully, we'll have the ground covered after the warmth and rain on Sunday.  Pretty confident that will be the case in Hampshire Hamden and much of ORH county.

Look at it this way:

If you get 3" of snow, that's 50% of warning criteria.

If you get 0.25" of ice, that's also 50% of warning criteria.

Add the two together and that's 100%, and you can call the entire event a "winter storm."

Look at it this way:

If you get 3" of snow, that's 50% of warning criteria.

If you get 0.25" of ice, that's also 50% of warning criteria.

Add the two together and that's 100%, and you can call the entire event a "winter storm."

3" of snow plus .25" ice is fairly high impact in terms of secondary roads and snow removal.

Archived