wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Jan 3-4 Storm Threat

CT Valley Snowman

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was my original call, but it looked pretty bleak yesteray. 

Think the snow that falls will probably be in a narrow field.  So it winds up the luck of the draw and which town you live in.  And that precise forecast won't be realistic until very close to the event.  Good luck!

There's pretty big differences between the NAM and GFS at 06z...GFS is probably an inch or less on the front end for most of SNE...the NAM is like 4-5" north of the pike. It really rips that initial WAA fronto band.

Euro is kind of a compromise, but probably a tad closer to the NAM. So I think 2-4" north of the pike is a decent call with 1-2 south (maybe a spot 3) and perhaps 4-6" up in the Monads and perhaps over to near MPM.

I'd like to be in MPM's area for this..That area is going to see 3-5 inches of snow and a 1/4 -1/2 inch of ice..and not get much above 40 on Sunday

I bet Chris might do even better as I think his valley location will hold onto the cold longer  (but I managed to remain cool during the last couple of events).  As far as warmth goes on Sunday, I do expecting to get to 45 or so briefly.

I'm not sure what to think regarding icing issues and power.  The snow that comes down will likely be about .2 of liquid and then let's call it .2" of zr (not all of which will remain on surfaces of course).  I think that would equate to some branches coming down, but nothing too significant.  Much of the stuff that would otherwise come down with those amounts got dropped at Thanksgiving.

28.6/18

We'll still get warm Sunday IMO. That's my guess for you and esp me. Maybe it's only for a few hours for you.

Oh yeah I know..I'll get to like 44-47 for a couple hours..but that shouldn't totally melt the couple inches of snow and ice that is OTG. I was afraid of 50's and dews and south winds . Sunday looks a  DSD..but with steep lapse rates 

There's pretty big differences between the NAM and GFS at 06z...GFS is probably an inch or less on the front end for most of SNE...the NAM is like 4-5" north of the pike. It really rips that initial WAA fronto band.

Euro is kind of a compromise, but probably a tad closer to the NAM. So I think 2-4" north of the pike is a decent call with 1-2 south (maybe a spot 3) and perhaps 4-6" up in the Monads and perhaps over to near MPM.

Yeah I noticed that. The GFS is pretty meh with the initial stuff. I noticed the WFO BTV WRF also has an Initial burst of good snow. Even here lol.

I wouldnt worry about power outages with the icing...you really need at least a third of an inch of accretion to start causing issues unless you live in an area that has a weak power grid.

There will definitely be glazing, but I think it will mostly remain under that amount.

Oh yeah I know..I'll get to like 44-47 for a couple hours..but that shouldn't totally melt the couple inches of snow and ice that is OTG. I was afraid of 50's and dews and south winds . Sunday looks a DSD..but with steep lapse rates

It's close. Don't set yourself up for disappointment.

I wouldnt worry about power outages with the icing...you really need at least a third of an inch of accretion to start causing issues unless you live in an area that has a weak power grid.

There will definitely be glazing, but I think it will mostly remain under that amount.

Sounds good.  At least I don't need to cook a turkey like I did in the last outages.

Too bad it will all be washed away--I think icing is one of the best looking feats of nature.

It's close. Don't set yourself up for disappointment.

Yeah it could easilt be 6-8 hours of 48-50F...it all depends on when things mix out...his area isn't the greatest for really holding on to the last vestiges of the CAD airmasses...for SNE, that would be upper GC and over to N ORH county and Monads. But even there will mix out eventually...the question is if it is for like 4 hours of 44/30 or if it goes 51/45 for 8 hours.

Yeah it could easilt be 6-8 hours of 48-50F...it all depends on when things mix out...his area isn't the greatest for really holding on to the last vestiges of the CAD airmasses...for SNE, that would be upper GC and over to N ORH county and Monads. But even there will mix out eventually...the question is if it is for like 4 hours of 44/30 or if it goes 51/45 for 8 hours.

The greatest? LOL..this area is terrible for holding CAD. Way too close to the snow hole of Se CT.. But I do think if the 2ndary goes south it won't be more than a few hours of mid 40's Sunday. Colder air starts coming in mid afternoon..more importantly dews should lower

I bet Chris might do even better as I think his valley location will hold onto the cold longer  (but I managed to remain cool during the last couple of events).  As far as warmth goes on Sunday, I do expecting to get to 45 or so briefly.

I'm not sure what to think regarding icing issues and power.  The snow that comes down will likely be about .2 of liquid and then let's call it .2" of zr (not all of which will remain on surfaces of course).  I think that would equate to some branches coming down, but nothing too significant.  Much of the stuff that would otherwise come down with those amounts got dropped at Thanksgiving.

28.6/18

You'll get more snow up there but might torch a little quicker. I'll be surprised if Greenfield gets above 40F on Sunday.

I've seen it before. 5 miles in every direction in the 50's while the corridor from Greenfield to Brattleboro is CAD central.

Split the difference and call 47 for 6 hours.  :)

I'm actually thinking it'll be the 44-46 range here, but only for a couple hours.  Maybe I'm being too optimistic.  Regardless, I think areas north of the Pike will emerge from Sunday with more than brown grass to pad the way for anything that might come on Tuesday and the ensuing cool-down.

28.7/19

How far east does the 1-2, 2-4, 4-6" go? 128, 495, ORH?

Gusty call there, Dave. :)

You're call for your hood is in line with what I was thinking out here (2-4). The 06z GFS had me cringe a little bit even for that.

I will be pleased just to have a bit of frozen stuff on the ground again. I am more interested in later in the week

I think you get more than me with this setup

Archived