• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2014/15 Winter Banter and General Observations

Baroclinic Zone

Wow. Anybody in mass look at their electric bill? Raped by a rusty coat hanger. Unfooking real.

Yup, pretty ugly. I don't have much to compare it to since I only moved up here in September, but it was a nice hike up from the last one in terms of the rate. That's what they do though, up up and up...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Christmas storm looks very strange Still in the GFS but I'm hopeful. It's been there for a while.

If I get 0 snow until past Christmas after the 0 for December so far and 3 Horrible inches prior, that will even further cement my moving plans to LA and also never once again believe a long range forecast (The Hurricane ones have been Truly God Awful recently). Never in my winter life did I hear more about how a Winter was going to be so historic from the Almanac to every Tom, Dick and Harry. At least Ray doesn't have to apologize since he provided one of the Best weather posts I've ever Seen anywhere and had all the right reasoning. But going by everything together I would have banked 90" going into the season. Now looking at basically nothing through Christmas and that I thought I read the fun pattern chiming up won't lay more than 10 days to 1 weeks? Where's the 3-4 month pattern of awesomeness?

LOL. Ray's reasoning was what most were going by.  Three things. First, winter is a sum of many variables that do not act or care about the so called "composites" telling us what should happen. Second, it's early and many of my 60"+ winters didn't start until Feb. Third, I went into Feb 2013 with less than 10" in the season and wound up over 70". When things happen..they happen quick. My how quickly we forget.

You are also forgetting how great it's been 50+ miles NW of you. Woonsocket blows.

The Christmas storm looks very strange Still in the GFS but I'm hopeful. It's been there for a while.

If I get 0 snow until past Christmas after the 0 for December so far and 3 Horrible inches prior, that will even further cement my moving plans to LA and also never once again believe a long range forecast (The Hurricane ones have been Truly God Awful recently). Never in my winter life did I hear more about how a Winter was going to be so historic from the Almanac to every Tom, Dick and Harry. At least Ray doesn't have to apologize since he provided one of the Best weather posts I've ever Seen anywhere and had all the right reasoning. But going by everything together I would have banked 90" going into the season. Now looking at basically nothing through Christmas and that I thought I read the fun pattern chiming up won't lay more than 10 days to 1 weeks? Where's the 3-4 month pattern of awesomeness?

Bye Felicia.

When you move, please remember to post in the subforum for your new home.

Cory can do what I did. Move to Los Angeles and promptly miss some of the greatest winters of all time.

I would almost be willing to ask you to move back to LA if it can bring back Jan/Feb 1978...almost

I'm not writing this one off by any means.   I am thinking it is a scraper, but those NW nudges seem to kick in at day 4 or 5...

hot mess

Interesting drive out on 89N in NH today.  I live 8 miles north of exits 7 and 8 and drove out to Hanover.  The change in scenery after exit 11 was remarkable.  At my house there is 3 inches of crusty snow and the sunny fields are becoming patchy.  Old stale snow and nothing hanging from tree limbs.

But 15 miles to my west, past exit 10 it is dramatically different.  Between exits 11 and 17 the elevation rises to 900-1200 feet.  Easily 6-12 inches on the ground, big piles and the trees filled with snow.  The  last storm was remarkably different here as it mostly rained at my house and in Dendrite-land.  The transition to heavy wet snow must've been about 20 miles NW of Concord above about 800-900 feet.  Even in the valley at Lebanon there is still 6 inches on the ground, though the trees aren't filled.

Interesting drive out on 89N in NH today.  I live 8 miles north of exits 7 and 8 and drove out to Hanover.  The change in scenery after exit 11 was remarkable.  At my house there is 3 inches of crusty snow and the sunny fields are becoming patchy.  Old stale snow and nothing hanging from tree limbs.

But 15 miles to my west, past exit 10 it is dramatically different.  Between exits 11 and 17 the elevation rises to 900-1200 feet.  Easily 6-12 inches on the ground, big piles and the trees filled with snow.  The  last storm was remarkably different here as it mostly rained at my house and in Dendrite-land.  The transition to heavy wet snow must've been about 20 miles NW of Concord above about 800-900 feet.  Even in the valley at Lebanon there is still 6 inches on the ground, though the trees aren't filled.

Drove through there last Friday and noticed the difference.  After Christmas shopping in Concord and at the outlets in Tilton, we cut across to 89 on 11 and noted more snow out there too.

Archived