• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
2014/15 Winter Banter and General Observations

Baroclinic Zone

I did my undergrad in Geology at Dartmouth where I learned my [stuff] from, among others, Jim Aronson, Page Chamberlain and the late Half Zantop, each a master of New England geology. Then I got my masters at Columbia, where, among other things, I did a major research project on the paleotopography and current uplift of of the Adirondacks, which interestingly may be related to the high elevations of the Whites.

Which is a roundabout way of qualifying myself to determine the following:   Mr. Ono, what you've just wrote is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

PS: Glacial deposits aren't rocks, unless they're tillites.  And unconsolidated till in New England aren't tillites, though you can see cool late Precambrian tillites in Atlantic Canada, IIRC.

Nobody cares about rocks except that the people who live on them get more snow.

Well, IMO, that's the problem with this forum, is that the signal to noise ratio is so low because everyone is deemed to have something to contribute.  But actually, most folks don't.  You don't see me doing meteorology, because I'm not a meteorologist; and fake geologists shouldn't be doing geology, either. 

The problem with all this earth science stuff is that it is HARD.  Years of training and you still can screw it up - see, e.g, ono. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone want to help on my short story I'm writing?  It will be a part of my novel I'm also writing about three characters who brave the world amid geological, meteorological and social chaos.  The world is falling apart and major disasters are occurring all over the world, a catastrophic hurricane hits New Orleans, an EF-5 tornado strikes the city of MIami, FL.  A series of EF-4 and EF-5 tornadoes ravage the city of Oklahoma City, OK.  During these disasters, they read material about a theory called Earth Core Pulse theory, which simply states that the Earth's core becomes unstable for a certain amount of time unleashing energetic core throughout the faults and in doing so, creates an unstable Caribbean Sea plate and various catastrophic disasters strike the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea.  The first four disasters are what the first book encompasses while the second and third novels have the Geological disasters.

Anyone want to help on my short story I'm writing?  It will be a part of my novel I'm also writing about three characters who brave the world amid geological, meteorological and social chaos.  The world is falling apart and major disasters are occurring all over the world, a catastrophic hurricane hits New Orleans, an EF-5 tornado strikes the city of MIami, FL.  A series of EF-4 and EF-5 tornadoes ravage the city of Oklahoma City, OK.  During these disasters, they read material about a theory called Earth Core Pulse theory, which simply states that the Earth's core becomes unstable for a certain amount of time unleashing energetic core throughout the faults and in doing so, creates an unstable Caribbean Sea plate and various catastrophic disasters strike the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea.  The first four disasters are what the first book encompasses while the second and third novels have the Geological disasters.

take a look at last nights exchange in this very thread for a true geological disaster

I ate no carbohydrates today for the first time in my adult life.  Already feeling funny.  Hopefully I can finish my planned workout.

Getting old sucks.

Heavy rain in and around Lowell, MA today.  I can only remember a few such D/J/F rainstorms.  I recall one year we canceled classes at UML and it ended up pouring rain.

I ate no carbohydrates today for the first time in my adult life.  Already feeling funny.  Hopefully I can finish my planned workout.

Getting old sucks.

Heavy rain in and around Lowell, MA today.  I can only remember a few such D/J/F rainstorms.  I recall one year we canceled classes at UML and it ended up pouring rain.

Going paleo?

Hello fellow New Englanders,

I created this forum to create the ultimate brain storm for my future "The Perfect Snowstorm" short story which if written correctly will be a chapter part of my book called, "The Dawn Awakening".  Anyone can help in determining the science behind the disaster.  I could use your help as everyone has different opinions on New England weather.  The more authentic experiences could be used as a basis for this chapter.  Any advise is warranted and appreciated.

Hello fellow New Englanders,

I created this forum to create the ultimate brain storm for my future "The Perfect Snowstorm" short story which if written correctly will be a chapter part of my book called, "The Dawn Awakening".  Anyone can help in determining the science behind the disaster.  I could use your help as everyone has different opinions on New England weather.  The more authentic experiences could be used as a basis for this chapter.  Any advise is warranted and appreciated.

I'll point you in the direction of my post below. All scientifically valid. Also, you're welcome.

I had a dream last night I feel compelled to share. It was the morning of the first snow of the year. The storm was some sort of Noreaster (presumably, I'll get to that later). I never really saw the entirety of it as a radar or model image, but it had a strange movement of starting all the way at the tip of Cape Cod and moving ENE almost like Sandy but not south at all, just expanding both east and north. It hit every single state in New England but nowhere else. At first, I mostly pictured it as a white map of New England that was lighting up red for some reason as the storm moved over an area. The map was playing on the TV on a local news broadcast that looked like it was from the 70s or 80s.

So I wake up and it's snowing, and I hop on Amwx to wish everyone a happy 1st snow. And DIT is logged on and arguing to Will about how this Noreaster isn't a typical New England Noreaster, but how it is like the Noreasters that Kansas gets that have a giant dryslot with thunderstorms riding along the edge. And right then I hear thunder, so I look at the radar and there is a dryslot just to my east, and a line of discrete supercells right over my head but all snow.

Then Tip says, don't look now but the pattern after this storm is just unbelievable, and I think it was Scooter that agreed with him. PF said something, I'm not exactly sure what, but it made me think he was very excited and was trying to keep it under control but couldn't. Then I woke up.

This was literally one of the strangest, most exciting dreams I've had as an adult, and my first containing anything Amwx related. I consider it nothing short of a divine vision.

CT Peeps NBC30 winter special is on right now

Yes, just finished watching it....very good in my opinion. Although, they used to give total snow amounts that they thought would play out for the different areas of the state, for the winter season. Didn't see that this year. Just that it could be a doozy of a winter. Hope they are right.

Archived