joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014/15 Winter Banter and General Observations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's disappointing that it is 6+ days away...I would love a massive ice storm.  Hopefully the models continue to show this as we get closer.

No you wouldn't, If you would have endured the Ice storm of 1998 you would never want to see one again, 2-3" of ice, Avg outages pretty much state wide of 7 days with some places without power for upwards to a month, It was total devastation here Upstate NY and in Canada

No you wouldn't, If you would have endured the Ice storm of 1998 you would never want to see one again, 2-3" of ice, Avg outages pretty much state wide of 7 days with some places without power for upwards to a month, It was total devastation here Upstate NY and in Canada

I hear what you are saying, but for I would like to experience it just once.  I am not saying an every winter type thing, but just to have that lifetime experience

I hear what you are saying, but for I would like to experience it just once.  I am not saying an every winter type thing, but just to have that lifetime experience

For those of us who have experienced it (as with those who have come through a Category 4 or 5 hurricane or an F4 or 5 tornado) this sounds like, "I would like to experience getting in a wildfire just once to have that lifetime experience". Disasters really aren't fun to experience up close and devastation is always ugly.

Sorry for the lecture, man, but you really would NOT want to go through two weeks without power with nighttime temperatures in the teens.

Cooking dinner in the fireplace, no power, frozen toilets and being stuck in the house with everybody for a week due to all the power line snarls is something you can skip.  

I enjoyed the 2008 ice storm...don't think I'd want to be without power much longer than 2-3 days though. We lost it for 60 hours in that storm...I probably would enjoy it a bit less if I knew it was going to be 8-10 days without power like some of the more rural areas had to deal with in that one.

Adding to what you are saying, I only had between .5 and .75 inches of ice in 2008.  If we had had 2" to 3" of ice the impact would have been biblical.  There was about 450K people without power at the hieght of the storm.

So you would be cool with no power or best for the holidays?

Yes for one time only...Like I said I would like to experience a significant/historical ice storm.  If it happens to fall during the holidays, so be it.  Would I prefer it to be during the holidays - no, but if it is oh well...

Anyone old enough has lived without power for some period during storms. It blows, the house gets cold, it's dark, no communication, nothing to experience but cold and dark forcing many to go to a place with power. Why anyone would relish that is beyond me.

Usually kids with no horse in the race

It's worth it to me if you can get power back relatively quickly like I mentioned above. 2008 was beautiful with over an inch of ice. Signature event for me and I was out taking a lot of pictures in that. But I probably would have been cursing it if I was without power for a week, lol. Or if I had a house with a big tree canopy over the top of it...there's caveats involved obviously.

If I had a bunch of trees falling on the house...then no way. If all I have to deal with is no power for < 3 days, then sign me up. Of course, the power issue cannot be determined prior to the event...you get what you get, so it is a risk. It could be gone for a week plus.

If you are a homeowner...you don't want a crippling ice storm

If you have a job...you don't want a crippling ice storm

If you have family that relies on you...you don't want a crippling ice storm

If you use a well for water...you really don't want a crippling ice storm

But, otherwise, hey...it is great

As a forester, I still see residual effects of 1998, and am thankful that most of the forest land we manage lies north of that event's worst damage.  1998 was an event to brag on, the most disruptive of normal life of any in my experience, and while it was fascinating I don't care to see a repeat.  We lost power for "only" 4 days (one break between our place and Route 201 in Gardiner and it would've been 2 weeks plus) and phone for 14 days - got off easy compared to many.

I've seen two major ice storms.  The one in NNJ in 1953 (exactly 45 yr to the day before the 98 storm) was great memories, but I was only 6 yr old.  Had a lot to do with my interest both in wx and trees, I'm sure.  :weenie:

Archived