joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014/15 Winter Banter and General Observations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are underestimating a lot of us. While our posts can be witty and weeniesh often, that doesn't reveal why we are in this hobby. I bet the majority are interested in the science. We just aren't always at our computers with the capability of writing elaborate thought provoking posts about why we love the weather. The constant motion of everyday life, busy bees, we check phones to see whats next. Our responses are short, funny, sometimes not so much. But that doesn't and shouldn't reveal who we are. Because deep down, beyond the irrational posting, there is a weather nerd in all of us.  

I said, "...too many.."    Not everyone.  And I have been around for a long while -- I'm right about that. Sorry.  

Too much drama there on your part.  

I think you are underestimating a lot of us. While our posts can be witty and weeniesh often, that doesn't reveal why we are in this hobby. I bet the majority are interested in the science. We just aren't always at our computers with the capability of writing elaborate thought provoking posts about why we love the weather. The constant motion of everyday life, busy bees, we check phones to see whats next. Our responses are short, funny, sometimes not so much. But that doesn't and shouldn't reveal who we are. Because deep down, beyond the irrational posting, there is a weather nerd in all of us.  

100%.  Smart phones and mobile devices have changed the posting style a bit to more short posts over the years....but most of us got started because of a fascination with the science.  You said it right though, life is busy, and although a lot of us post frequently, its usually from checkin' in for very brief periods of time.

I said, "...too many.."    Not everyone.  And I have been around for a long while -- I'm right about that. Sorry.  

Too much drama there on your part.  

You've been around for a while, you know most here are obsessed with snow, yet lately you seem to post more and more about it...are you expecting folks to change away from that?  Even if we love the science of a good snowstorm, I'm not sure why that's always seen as a bad thing to you.

Its like in the midwest, if a bunch of weenies are obsessed with tornados and that's all they want to talk about, even in December when they are out of season...who cares?  Each region sort of breeds its own type of weather lovers based on the main weather events that said region gets.  Like down in Florida they talk about hurricanes and tropical storms all the time, but not snowstorms.  Does that mean they don't enjoy the science of it either but are just obsessed with a high impact event?

You've been around for a while, you know most here are obsessed with snow, yet lately you seem to post more and more about it...are you expecting folks to change away from that? Even if we love the science of a good snowstorm, I'm not sure why that's always seen as a bad thing to you.

Its like in the midwest, if a bunch of weenies are obsessed with tornados and that's all they want to talk about, even in December when they are out of season...who cares? Each region sort of breeds its own type of weather lovers based on the main weather events that said region gets. Like down in Florida they talk about hurricanes and tropical storms all the time, but not snowstorms. Does that mean they don't enjoy the science of it either but are just obsessed with a high impact event?

The thing with Tip is .. He's just like everyone else. He pretends he's not emotionally invested , that he doesn't like snow, that he doesn't enjoy severe wx, that he doesn't enjoy tree damage from an ice storm or big wind event, But in reality , he's just like everyone else here.. That's what drives him and his passion for weather. When a snow event turns into a miss or rain it emotionally effects him as much as it does anyone else. Everyone just handles those emotions differently. Some meltdown and post erratically , some get angry and take it out on other posters, some whine and complain, some lie and say they don't care if it rains or snows, and some just stew quietly behind their monitors and stop posting until they cool down. But there's noone here who buys his act about not liking snow and that he's just blinded with science

The thing with Tip is .. He's just like everyone else. He pretends he's not emotionally invested , that he doesn't like snow, that he doesn't enjoy severe wx, that he doesn't enjoy tree damage from an ice storm or big wind event, But in reality , he's just like everyone else here.. That's what drives him and his passion for weather. When a snow event turns into a miss or rain it emotionally effects him as much as it does anyone else. Everyone just handles those emotions differently. Some meltdown and post erratically , some get angry and take it out on other posters, some whine and complain, some lie and say they don't care if it rains or snows, and some just stew quietly behind their monitors and stop posting until they cool down. But there's noone here who buys his act about not liking snow and that he's just blinded with science

Some stew quietly behind their monitors lmao

Tippy had a meltdown in 12/26/10. That was classic.

Hes good for a couple per year. 1-2 during the winter when he thought he'd get snow and then doesn't.. And 1-2 good ones April- May when he senses screen doors slamming shut from backdoor fronts.Then there's sometimes one on Valentines Day if he's been drinking. It's iron clad

Do we still have a copy of that on file?

Boxing Day thread. Shredded radar and shredded flakes.

To be honest though, several SNE posters had meltdowns during that storm once it became obvious there would be big winners and big losers due to banding.

We talk about not complaining if you get 10" instead of 15", but that storm had some slamming their monitors against the wall while getting 10".

Hes good for a couple per year. 1-2 during the winter when he thought he'd get snow and then doesn't.. And 1-2 good ones April- May when he senses screen doors slamming shut on backdoors. Then there's sometimes one on Valentines Day if he's been drinking. It's iron clad

He had two that really stand out to me. 1) The best one was the "Christine" meltdown of VD 2007.....I think perhaps he was set off by the sleet fest that we were enduring, but he just launched into that tirade about what a rotten holiday VD is.....and revealed to us for the first time the identity of the woman who had scarred him. lmao 2) You guys mentioned it,but Boxing day 2010. He was convinced that we'd get whacked, but once he saw that shredded appeal, went off for about thirty minutes before disappearing for like a week. :lol:

He had two that really stand out to me. 1) The best one was the "Christine" meltdown of VD 2007.....I think perhaps he was set off by the sleet fest that we were enduring, but he just launched into that tirade about what a rotten holiday VD is.....and revealed to us for the first time the identity of the woman who had scarred him. lmao 2) You guys mentioned it,but Boxing day 2010. He was convinced that we'd get whacked, but once he saw that shredded appeal, went off for about thirty minutes before disappearing for like a week. :lol:

That tirade he pulled on Valentines Day that year will go down as one of the biggest meltdowns on any blog forum in any genre in history. I wonder if that is still findable somewhere online. That thing was priceless. I'm pretty sure he missed a couple days of work after that to collect his wits

Lol I found some of it, but I think there's more or another post or something

Valentine's Day is such bull****. You're taking something that cannot possibly be celebrated outside of the sanctity two individuals feel for one another and turning into a captilistic pig commercial endeavor - only it's not much of an endeavor, because the biggest suckers in the world, the poor schmuck guilt tripped American males are objectified into spending their money in order to make their girlfriend's happy?

What are these woman, hookers! And that's another thing, what's with all these f ck ng "kiss begins with Kays" commercials: that straight up material acquisition for the promise of sex prostitution.

What a double standard, hypocritical bunch obligatory bull**** man!

Lol I found some of it, but I think there's more or another post or something

Valentine's Day is such bull****. You're taking something that cannot possibly be celebrated outside of the sanctity two individuals feel for one another and turning into a captilistic pig commercial endeavor - only it's not much of an endeavor, because the biggest suckers in the world, the poor schmuck guilt tripped American males are objectified into spending their money in order to make their girlfriend's happy?

What are these woman, hookers! And that's another thing, what's with all these f ck ng "kiss begins with Kays" commercials: that straight up material acquisition for the promise of sex prostitution.

What a double standard, hypocritical bunch obligatory bull**** man!

Oh jesus stop....I'm in tears...riding w the gf and she made me tell her what I was laughing at lmao

I never realized how bad that storm was for some in the area until reading these forums. I was in my own little world and got like 20" or something. Had no idea so many got screwed

Yeah about 19 where I lived in Dorchester. We benefited from CF and low level frontogenesis. There was a nasty dryslot and then the main fronto band out near the NY/MA border.

Boxing Day was a little frustrating for some.  But, I think even Ekster was telling him to relax a bit as he was trying to poo-poo a sub 970 low going near CHH with winds over 50kts even at ORE. That is unheard of.

We hate when people complain about getting a foot instead of 18" when others are getting nothing ;)

Archived