• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2014/15 Winter Banter and General Observations

Baroclinic Zone

I think that's Will's point. It wasn't necessarily a terrible pattern for the interior for the first three weeks of December, but it still produced nothing. Compared to actually terrible patterns for the interior which also produced nothing.

Yeah kind of the difference between a horrific pattern and a merely subpar pattern. Often, the interior may squeak out a solid advisory event or something, but we failed to. Just a couple of coatings to an inch type snow shower deals...not even really true synoptic events.

Either way, it looks quite a bit better after Christmas. No guarantees though.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3" or so for December for MBY is pretty hard to do when temps are close to normal...plus copius precip.

Very interesting month, I am looking forward to Dec 25 on

Its odd that New England has had these patterns lately... last January was above normal precip, close to normal temps, and well below normal snowfall. 

it always seems the models can agree with each other when it's a cutter (xmas eve storm, for instance) but when its a snow bomb they can't agree on anything until the last minute.  Hence as some weenies say, rainers always verify

Well we just don't notice the differences in a change of track for a rainer.  The end result is still rain.  So someone in Buffalo may be noticing some huge run-to-run changes if they are on the lookout for snow, but for us, it doesn't matter if its over Detroit, Rochester, Albany...they are all rain tracks. 

Well we just don't notice the differences in a change of track for a rainer.  The end result is still rain.  So someone in Buffalo may be noticing some huge run-to-run changes if they are on the lookout for snow, but for us, it doesn't matter if its over Detroit, Rochester, Albany...they are all rain tracks. 

hmmmm good point....but it still just seems the models cluster much sooner on a specific rainer track (i.e. thru Buffalo, 7 days ahead) well in advance of clustering on the track of a snowstorm (benchmark, 1 day out)....but like I said I'm just a weener

Yeah, when west of us:

300 mile shifts in track = "the models are perfect on a rain track!!!"

When the track is 60 miles east of us:

20 mile shifts in track = "the models are AWFUL, they never get it right!!"

hmmmm good point....but it still just seems the models cluster much sooner on a specific rainer track (i.e. thru Buffalo, 7 days ahead) well in advance of clustering on the track of a snowstorm (benchmark, 1 day out)....but like I said I'm just a weener

It seems that way to me too. Might it have something to do with the Atlantic? Maybe models have a harder time with the ocean....I wonder what the model scores are on cutters vs EC storms.

It seems that way to me too. Might it have something to do with the Atlantic? Maybe models have a harder time with the ocean....I wonder what the model scores are on cutters vs EC storms.

The models seem to have been all over the place with this system so far...from like Chicago to NYC with the track.  That doesn't seem all that good, lol.

The end result is rain either way.  Just like an east coast storm threat, the models also pick up on the idea of a cutter early on, but I doubt the actual low pressure track skill scores would be any better.  The models and ensembles get the trough axis figured out pretty early on, so they know its going to cut, but the track wobbles all over the place depending on the strength of the system...just like it does when they move east of us. 

Just think if you lived in Detroit right now you'd be scratching your head as yesterday it looked like snow, now the low is blowing up over NYC and tracking towards N.NY. 

The models seem to have been all over the place with this system so far...from like Chicago to NYC with the track. That doesn't seem all that good, lol.

The end result is rain either way. Just like an east coast storm threat, the models also pick up on the idea of a cutter early on, but I doubt the actual low pressure track skill scores would be any better. The models and ensembles get the trough axis figured out pretty early on, so they know its going to cut, but the track wobbles all over the place depending on the strength of the system...just like it does when they move east of us. Just think if you lived in Detroit right now you'd be scratching your head as yesterday it looked like snow, now the low is blowing up over NYC and tracking towards N.NY.

That makes sense. OK.

The models seem to have been all over the place with this system so far...from like Chicago to NYC with the track.  That doesn't seem all that good, lol.

The end result is rain either way.  Just like an east coast storm threat, the models also pick up on the idea of a cutter early on, but I doubt the actual low pressure track skill scores would be any better.  The models and ensembles get the trough axis figured out pretty early on, so they know its going to cut, but the track wobbles all over the place depending on the strength of the system...just like it does when they move east of us. 

Just think if you lived in Detroit right now you'd be scratching your head as yesterday it looked like snow, now the low is blowing up over NYC and tracking towards N.NY. 

Nope. You're wrong. Weenies right  :P

I think the models are fairly good with the large scale picture and where a trough axis likely will be...so they can figure out pretty early if a storm is going to go west or east of us.  Most times we are looking for snow, we know a short wave is going to push some energy to our east.  Likewise, with cutters we know its going west.  But for big east coast snows we need a very specific track.  For rain it doesn't matter in the least, as long as its west of us.  But I still think ask someone in a mid-west city how well modeled our "cutters" are, and I bet they'd have the same opinion we do of east coast storms being fickle.  Those folks are probably thinking one day the GFS is over Michigan, the next day its over Wisconsin, then it goes over Buffalo, its all over the place!  Where as we are thinking man the GFS nailed that rainstorm.

MPM hasn't decided to move to Cali due to not jackpotting.

The Debbies outnumber the Weenies this year. Plus SnowmanCory likes to USE ALL CAPs

MPM has Cory beaten hands-down for relentless debbying...just post after post.

Cory is more impressive on a rate basis. He'll do one spectacular one and then not much for a while.

Archived