joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014/15 Winter Banter and General Observations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, we got blitzed in that period from boxing day until the end of Jan or so. That period coincided with a great stretch in my life lol. Good times looking back

Yeah there was a point when a lot of SNE had more snow on the ground than the Mansfield summit that January. Like 35-40" vs 30".

We had a decent January in the end but were fringed by most of those storms...made up for it in March with that 27" storm while most of New England rained.

Also, don't you love when a good winter period coincides with a good point in your life? I had that back in the spring of 2007 which is what made those storms more memorable.

Yeah there was a point when a lot of SNE had more snow on the ground than the Mansfield summit that January. Like 35-40" vs 30".

We had a decent January in the end but were fringed by most of those storms...made up for it in March with that 27" storm while most of New England rained.

Also, don't you love when a good winter period coincides with a good point in your life? I had that back in the spring of 2007 which is what made those storms more memorable.

I'm honestly not sure if I will see depth like that ever again in my life. We have an 8 foot cherry tree in the front yard and between the snowblower and natural snow it was almost buried, I'm gunna try to find the pictures. I mean it was comical for this area. If I remember correctly my gfs yard is totally shaded in the back and there was snow lasting into april.

And it really is great. It sounds cliche, but it really enhanced that time period for me. Just a 6 or so week period I will always carry with me for a few different reasons.

Lots of roof-a-launches and whoomps from large piles of snow in the evergreens releasing and falling to the ground in today's low 30s temps.

My buddy had his grill completely taken out by snow falling off the roof. I'm thinking next time he won't put it so close to the house when there's 2-3" of water weight about to slide.

Boxing Day Schmoxing Day!  Under a fooking blizz warning all the way up here, which rarely happens.  Did eventually manage 11 inches but that was tough and a big disappointment.  Thank God for that January and my eventual 34 inch snowpack.

By the way, the NYC forum is such a mess!  Man I used to love to go in there for PBP.  What happened?  It is weenies running amock with 10 post admonishing each other and 1 sort of about weather.

Speaking of climo, I'm most curious about January personally.  That month up here has been really low every year I've lived in Stowe except for 2010-2011.  J.Spin could post some of his stats, but January has been running much lower than any other winter month up here on average for the past 5 years... I don't think it's even close too.  I'm curious if it's more climo for January to be suppressed up here, or if it's been more of a recent fluke.

I've added a graph of the data below – it could certainly be just a short term trend due to the small nature of my data set, but all three months (Dec, Jan, Feb) were averaging ~40" right across the board, and then these last three seasons have really put a dent into that January mean snowfall while December and February stayed right on track.  It's evident on the far right of the graph where the averages are shown, but based on the error bars (± S.D.) it's likely not significant.  A couple of good Januarys with snowfall in that ~50" range could probably get it back on track, but low snowfall in that midwinter period has just been a notable trend these past few seasons.

17DEC14B.jpg

Classic blocked upslope event going on tonight as the Froude number must be < 1. Notice how the heaviest precipitation appears to be west of the Taconics, along the eastern side of the Hudson Valley. We had a light rain with small rain drops earlier, which is characteristic of upslope rain, but now it's a light snow as temperatures have dropped. Often times the heaviest echoes with these NW flow setups is further to the east across Berkshire County. It even looks like there's a secondary area of precipitation further east near the CT River Valley as a result of blocked upslope from the ORH Hills.

post-48-0-01320400-1418863640_thumb.png

Classic blocked upslope event going on tonight as the Froude number must be < 1. Notice how the heaviest precipitation appears to be west of the Taconics, along the eastern side of the Hudson Valley. We had a light rain with small rain drops earlier, which is characteristic of upslope rain, but now it's a light snow as temperatures have dropped. Often times the heaviest echoes with these NW flow setups is further to the east across Berkshire County. It even looks like there's a secondary area of precipitation further east near the CT River Valley as a result of blocked upslope from the ORH Hills.

Screen Shot 2014-12-17 at 7.46.52 PM.png

nice

Archived