joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Banter Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally all moved in to the area! I spent the majority of my life experiencing the joy and agony of a mid atlantic winter. Lets hope I bring some SNE climate down for this upcoming one.

On the plus side though, today's severe threat already exceeds the yearly quota of severe we see in my old stomping ground in Boston.

Bailed on the O's game as soon as the rain started.  Picked a good time as it started pouring as we approached the car and they're in a long rain delay. 

A good game for the O's, even with the rain.  Hopefully, they string together some wins against the Jays.

Woo! Officially have a new job! Yay!!!

Nice!  That didn't take long.  Hope that it works out well for you and the family.

We've chatted about this before, but to refresh my memory, what is everyone's AC temp typically set to during summer? Based on BGE recommendations, I'm cooling it down (71-72) at night/morning and bumping the temp up (74-75) between 1 and 7 pm. So far, it appears to help with costs. 

When we were in Charleston last week visiting my wife's family, I was somewhat baffled by their use of the AC. Even on a day when it was 95/70, they turned the air off during the day when they were at work. The house baked to about 80 inside and then they turn it on when they get home around 5. Seems to me that their AC is just going to kill itself cooling the house down during the evening hours.

We've chatted about this before, but to refresh my memory, what is everyone's AC temp typically set to during summer? Based on BGE recommendations, I'm cooling it down (71-72) at night/morning and bumping the temp up (74-75) between 1 and 7 pm. So far, it appears to help with costs. 

When we were in Charleston last week visiting my wife's family, I was somewhat baffled by their use of the AC. Even on a day when it was 95/70, they turned the air off during the day when they were at work. The house baked to about 80 inside and then they turn it on when they get home around 5. Seems to me that their AC is just going to kill itself cooling the house down during the evening hours.

During the day when no one is home keep it at 77/78, if someone is home 76, for sleeping 74. I have found a Big mistake with some to be they just about shut it off during the day, when they come home it is 80+; that is very taxing on the system to try to bring the temp down from that point plus the drywall takes on heat that also thwarts the cooling process. Big user of shades in the winter to let the sun in and summer to block it.

I keep mine on 76 or 77 most of the time.  I might go lower if I am just trying to get it to turn on to dehumidify after it being off for a few days, then once the air is dry I move it back up again.   It is not a good idea to just turn it off during the day if you are not there.  Not only does the heat inside increase of course but humidity seeps in too even with all windows closed.  That combination is hard to overcome later in the day if you return home and just turn it on then.

It's a well documented mistake to go above 80 on a daily basis unless you prefer above 75 when home. AC systems are most efficient in short cycles and small temp changes.

I do it like most. 75-76 during the day and 72-73 when the sun is down. Ceiling fans make up the difference in comfort when people are home during the day. Simple stuff like using top vents for cooling and bottom vents for heating is never bad.

I've tried to go above 74 during the day on really hot days but our place bakes. the front of the house is sun exposed from noon on. We keep the blinds shut until evening to help keep the temps down. Some of my neighbors run their AC even when its 70s outside with a breeze. My threshold is usually low 80s.

Archived