joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-3 Disco, Part III

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the posters saying even if the amounts are moderate (4-8") this is going to be a fun event with the steep, rapid temp drop to the possibility of a few rumbles of thunder in the morning.

I know it's not the same kind of setup, but it could remind us of the "Hoffman aka Commutageddon" storm that started with light rain, then quickly changed to driving sleet then heavy snow.  Thankfully the timing on this one is better on this one so we don't have tons of people trapped in cars trying to get home.

Richmond is sunny and in the low 70s LOL -- it would be funny to see them go from grilling on the deck to snow the next day.

It has it's usefulness.  Probably not this though, although you can get a close/hourly view of 0C lines.  If you look at the axis of the greatest precip, the 12Z NAM and Euro are pretty darn close...south of DC.  Just that the euro QPF field is larger.  Am I the only one who's noticed the Euro move the precip about 75 miles south since yesterday at 12Z?  You know, where the NAM had it?  Sheesh.

Yeah, the parallel can be seen between the two models.  I use the EURO maps over at weatherunderground.

The model convergence is there.

My area, North-Central MD seems to be in the 6"-8" zone and DC, especially with even a tiny

bit of elevation seems to be in the 7" to 9" zone.  My areas seems destined to dry out at 700 mb by

early afternoon.  We could be partly cloudy while DC still cashes in.  The afternoon rush hour around

DC could be bizarre.

Banding, as mentioned by others, should result in local jackpots.

From JB2's article...

"...After analyzing multiple models along with the satellite, radar, and core energy from California now in Texas that will head out way, I’ve determined this: The arctic boundary is a force beyond the norm in the climatology/history included in the model calculations. There is a lot of history included in how this may play out, but we often don’t have arctic air like this in early March. But the storm that hit California is also stronger than the norm and has a lot of warmer subtropical energy with it. So while the front has been seen to drop father south, I see the final wave of low pressure on Monday that will either push it back north a little or send the moisture farther north with its momentum. Since the Canadian Model does the best with arctic air and it does not push the front too far south, I have considered that to hold the heaviest snow right in the middle of central Maryland..."

Thoughts?

Yeah, the parallel can be seen between the two models.  The model convergence is there.

My area, North-Central MD seems to be in the 6"-8" zone and DC, especially with even a tiny

bit of elevation seems to be in the 7" to 9" zone.

Banding, as mentioned by others, should result in local jackpots.

You looked at the parallel WM? Was wondering what it is showing, has done very well recently and haven't had a chance to check. 

50's to teeens and 20's, rain, sleet, snow, wind, Thundersnow, drifting snow, cats sleping with dogs, me and Ji having dinner......we've iot it all!!!

Post storm temps will be special, winds underdiscussed I think, and once this gets going surface and 850 both very cold and I am certain 10-1 will be too low.

Archived