• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-3 Disco, Part III

stormtracker

If rates are good, I think we can overcome that... its pretty shallow as you say.  I think Bob Chill said it a few pages ago, if its light we prob have to wait for flip.  If its coming down hard, we flip earlier

After 9z

12z GFS/NAM/GGEM roughly 0.65", 0z Euro roughly 0.8"...I think there is less model disagreement than we think for ME and YOU.....I'll wait to see the euro before putting out a forecast for my FB friends...but I think we are good for 6-10"

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After 9z

12z GFS/NAM/GGEM roughly 0.65", 0z Euro roughly 0.8"...I think there is less model disagreement than we think for ME and YOU.....I'll wait to see the euro before putting out a forecast for my FB friends...but I think we are good for 6-10"

Agreed. At least in terms of precip DCA seems to be in the middle of the envelope. RIC and north of Baltimore are on the respective fringes precip-wise.

After 9z

Agreed... thats where my forecast lies that I sent out about an hour ago... I did mention potential to be on the low end if we flip late... but if everything came together at the right time and the 00z EURO was correct that we could see close to a foot at the high end

Agreed. At least in terms of precip DCA seems to be in the middle of the envelope. RIC and north of Baltimore are on the respective fringes precip-wise.

I just remember on 2/12, people saying things like "Don't be such a worry wart!" when I constantly brought up sleet, and "No way we mix before 7am!!!!"....and of course at 3-4am it was a battle....and downtown DC and south and east got 5-9" from round 1....weenies tend to simply put their fingers in their ears and ignore any evidence that doesnt support their fantasy of 18"...SO I am going on the record again...I am worried that we don't flip until 5am...

Wonder how well these models are taking into account the cooling effect of melting snow as it passes through such a narrow warm nose.

Think about the vectors involved.   We have cold air advection moving from NNW to SSE, moisture moving northeast in the eastern Ozarks and the ENE leeward of the Appalachians, the upper and lower vorticity maxes each have their own vectors and the jet max at 250 mb has its own vector.

Simply put, we analyze the models, the radar trends, put the satellite water vapor loops in motion, use dual pol radar to track the rain-snow line and try to keep up.  If we think about it in that manner, we are being scientific. 

I didn't answer your question directly, it is time to track evolution of the system in real time and determine which models seem to be verifying.

That's my feelings as well. Of course I don't want to be shut out but if we get 6 or less and someone 45 mile south gets 12 I could care less. Good for them and I would feel this way whether I've had 70 inches up to this point or 30 inches.

Agree! Here's to 6" and a damn good season :)

It's a legit worry for the DC crew. If I had to wager, Id say BWI/Bmore crew is good by 3am, DC crew is good by 5am. Anything earlier is golden.

I just remember on 2/12, people saying things like "Don't be such a worry wart!" when I constantly brought up sleet, and "No way we mix before 7am!!!!"....and of course at 3-4am it was a battle....and downtown DC and south and east got 5-9" from round 1....weenies tend to simply put their fingers in their ears and ignore any evidence that doesnt support their fantasy of 18"...SO I am going on the record again...I am worried that we don't flip until 5am...

GGEM looks to be snow before 09Z as well.  Hard to tell I only have 06Z/12Z panels...but 850 is just north of DC at 06Z.

Edit: also, the hiresw twins have a favorable precip axis for DC versus NAM/GFS.

12Z ARW looks a tad drier considering, but still fine by me

Given the speed of the temp drop at least we should be able to extrapolate north to south in terms of changeover by watching what is going on in southern PA and far northern MD. I don't think this is a case where Parkton is snowing for hours while DCA is hanging with sleet and a shallow warm nose.

Given the speed of the temp drop at least we should be able to extrapolate north to south in terms of changeover by watching what is going on in southern PA and far northern MD. I don't think this is a case where Parkton is snowing for hours while DCA is hanging with sleet and a shallow warm nose.

agreed

Even at the 11am update, I am very surprised at how bullish LWX is being:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
1104 AM EST SUN MAR 2 2014

DCZ001-MDZ013-014-VAZ025-026-038-039-051>054-502>504-WVZ505-506-
030015-
/O.CON.KLWX.WS.W.0008.140303T0500Z-140303T2300Z/
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-AUGUSTA-
ROCKINGHAM-GREENE-MADISON-CULPEPER-
PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-
ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-SOUTHERN FAUQUIER-
WESTERN HIGHLAND-EASTERN HIGHLAND-WESTERN PENDLETON-
EASTERN PENDLETON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...ANNAPOLIS...STAUNTON...
WAYNESBORO...HARRISONBURG...CULPEPER...MANASSAS...MANASSAS PARK...
FAIRFAX...ALEXANDRIA...FALLS CHURCH...HIGHTOWN...MONTEREY...
CIRCLEVILLE...FRANKLIN
1104 AM EST SUN MAR 2 2014

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT
TO 6 PM EST MONDAY...

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...FREEZING RAIN...SLEET...AND HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...UP TO ONE TENTH INCH ICE...MORE AT HIGHER
ELEVATIONS...THEN 8 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW.

Generally, they rarely go this all in.

Is that really what you think?

I'd say it looks nothing like what the NAM has.

NAM at 1pm today: http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller/Image.php?fhr=006ℑ=data%2Fnam-hires%2F12%2Fnam-hires_namer_006_sim_reflectivity.gif&model=nam-hires&area=namer&param=sim_reflectivity&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20140302+12+UTC&imageSize=&ps=area

Current radar: http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

NAM is clearly not even close to what is going on. It's not "north" and it's not "south" - it is just...NAM = bad run.

Archived