joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-3 Disco, Part III

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree but they are trying to adjust to the trends.

There was very little support for the earlier map.  I don't want to complain.. I love the NWS.. but when you swing 6" both directions in a matter of 12 hours it might be time to have a discussion about what can be done better.

Euro total precip on high res panels is widespread 1.1 - 1.2 for the corridor. Big max west of lake anna near the bro. 2" there

unlike last night, Euro is dropping a lot, as in .41", up to 6Z that is not snow (sleet later in period) and has cut back on precip after 6Z to  to .68 (most of that is snow, but not all)

last night's run had .94" falling after 6Z

BUT, since it's colder a higher % of what falls after 6Z is snow so not much of a change....1-2"

unlike last night, Euro is dropping a lot, as in .41", up to 6Z that is not snow (sleet later in period) and has cut back on precip after 6Z to to .68 (most of that is snow, but not all)

last night's run had .94" falling after 6Z

BUT, since it's colder a higher % of what falls after 6Z is snow so not much of a change....1-2"

Could be noise or it could be consensus. All guidance is tightly packed now. Everybody should have an easy time with proper expectations at this point. I think I'm good for 8" with a 6" min bar.

The real fun starts when we transition from sleet to snow via thunderstorm....haha

Could be noise or it could be consensus. All guidance is tightly packed now. Everybody should have an easy time with proper expectations at this point. I think I'm good for 8" with a 6" min bar.

The real fun starts when we transition from sleet to snow via thunderstorm....haha

Would definitely remind me of 1/26/11, did just that. 

There was very little support for the earlier map.  I don't want to complain.. I love the NWS.. but when you swing 6" both directions in a matter of 12 hours it might be time to have a discussion about what can be done better.

+1

And how about the inconsistency with the Winter Storm Warning for 8-12 inches over areas that, on the map, are looking at 6-8 inches.

+1

And how about the inconsistency with the Winter Storm Warning for 8-12 inches over areas that, on the map, are looking at 6-8 inches.

They've got it expressed very appropriately per policy:

Winter Storm Warning

A Winter Storm Warning is issued when a significant combination of hazardous winter weather is occurring or imminent.

Significant and hazardous winter weather is defined as a combination of:

1)  5 inches or more of snow/sleet within a 12-hour period or 7 inches or more of snow/sleet within a 24-hour period

AND/OR

2)  Enough ice accumulation to cause damage to trees or powerlines.

AND/OR

3)  a life threatening or damaging combination of snow and/or ice accumulation with wind.

The snow/sleet criteria for a Winter Storm Warning for the five westernmost counties (Allegany, Mineral, Grant, Pendleton, and Highland) is higher (6 inches or more within a 12-hour period; 8 inches or more within a 24-hour period).

Archived