joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-3 Disco, Part III

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question.  Is our cold air source on the move because of the high over MN now?  I seem to remember the models a few days back anchoring a 1032 high over NE and forcing arctic air down the coast.  I had been thinking that the "press" would come more from NE.  If not, I guess I don't see why guidance keeps the storm so far south when the front isn't moving much.

I just sent in a quote.  I'm happy with our amounts.  I did note that most of the SREF members were quicker with the changeover than the GFS for what that is worth.

I thought we were a little low initially too.. but we usually end up doing ok when I think that so who knows.  I'm still setting my IMBY bar at 8".. anything less is an unmitigated disaster.

I thought we were a little low initially too.. but we usually end up doing ok when I think that so who knows. I'm still setting my IMBY bar at 8".. anything less is an unmitigated disaster.

. U guys busted (or is it boomed?) a few times this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah GFS looks like 5-8" for Baltimore and surrounding burbs. QPF looks good, things came a bit north. As some are saying, a bit warmer, which leads to the more northern solution (at least minutely).

it didn't come north it's just weaker so less precip makes it into the cold air plus things cool slower with a less dynamic situation. It's just a crap run for everyone. Being up here in pa I can tell u it definitely didnt move north at all it took me from a measly couple inches last run to nothing this one. The second wave just continues to look weaker and more strung out run to run. Euro looked good for you last night so its possible the gfs is washing this out too much.

I have a question. Is our cold air source on the move because of the high over MN now? I seem to remember the models a few days back anchoring a 1032 high over NE and forcing arctic air down the coast. I had been thinking that the "press" would come more from NE. If not, I guess I don't see why guidance keeps the storm so far south when the front isn't moving much.

Yes. This is a good question. It would help explain some of the differences with the models.

it didn't come north it's just weaker so less precip makes it into the cold air plus things cool slower with a less dynamic situation. It's just a crap run for everyone. Being up here in pa I can tell u it definitely didnt move north at all it took me from a measly couple inches last run to nothing this one. The second wave just continues to look weaker and more strung out run to run. Euro looked good for you last night so its possible the gfs is washing this out too much.

Crap run for everyone? I think you are taking your back yard in the context for everyone..its certainly still not bad for DC into VA...would someone in DC really complain about 6-7 inches of snow in March?

I have a question.  Is our cold air source on the move because of the high over MN now?  I seem to remember the models a few days back anchoring a 1032 high over NE and forcing arctic air down the coast.  I had been thinking that the "press" would come more from NE.  If not, I guess I don't see why guidance keeps the storm so far south when the front isn't moving much.

No, the cold air source has always been with the mega HP over the N plains.

Crap run? For everyone?

I like to think even if you lived on top of Mt Rainier you'd complain about being fringed.

Yes. This is a good question. It would help explain some of the differences with the models.

Good point. I went and looked up the surface winds to see where the cold air is coming from, and they are quite different with the NAM vs every other model. I used the ECMWF, but the 12z GFS is pretty much the same as the ECMWF. Look how much further south the northern east-west flow is on the NAM:

Here's the 6z NAM (don't have 12z at this source yet):

post-11896-0-90501800-1393777070_thumb.p

Here's the 0z ECMWF: 

post-11896-0-60525800-1393777077_thumb.p

looking more closely at NAM soundings, 9z is still quite warm at 800mb...at 12z everything is fine.....so maybe a flip around 10-11z....about .3" falls between 9z and 12z so at say a blend of 7:1 ratios, that is 2"....and then 13:1 on the remainder would be 4"....for 6" total...an earlier flip would make a big difference

looking more closely at NAM soundings, 9z is still quite warm at 800mb...at 12z everything is fine.....so maybe a flip around 10-11z....about .3" falls between 9z and 12z so at say a blend of 7:1 ratios, that is 2"....and then 13:1 on the remainder would be 4"....for 6" total...an earlier flip would make a big difference

I think we flip early. Like 8-9z. If sleet comes in hot and heavy I think snow follows quickly on the heels. If rates are light then a later switch of course

Good point. I went and looked up the surface winds to see where the cold air is coming from, and they are quite different with the NAM vs every other model. I used the ECMWF, but the 12z GFS is pretty much the same as the ECMWF. Look how much further south the northern east-west flow is on the NAM:

Here's the 6z NAM (don't have 12z at this source yet):

Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 11.16.11 AM.png

Here's the 0z ECMWF:

Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 11.16.19 AM.png

Thanks. This is due to how it handles the force of the cold? My eyes are beat now. I know HM has already discussed it.

Jim Cantore @JimCantore

After a little stop off in NYC it's off to #DC via train. We will see if we can top our 7" at Reagan total a few weeks ago.

Think he's having some math problems but oh well. ;) 

edit: I don't think he was here for Feb 12-13 but maybe.

Archived