CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
March 2-3 Disco, Part III

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't really look crappy. People focus on their back yards, and interpret a model as such. The models are overall in very good agreement. There are always differences in qpf, wrt placement and amounts, and timing. The panic stricken need to just not post, or take a valium.

not in absolute terms, but relatively speaking

iow, it's the lowest of all the models which makes it the crappiest model

RGEM has been like a rock last two days. And I think it has done a pretty nice job this winter.

Agree. I think everyone's misgivings about the NAM are because in these storms we are usually mocking its qpf numbers as way too high. Instead, it's the lowest guidance. Curb the enthusiasm and assume 6" and anything more is gravy.

12z RGEM tells weenies to sit down... as Randy posted above the 24 hr map

for me and you there really isn't some massive difference in the guidance...worst model gives us 0.5" snow, and euro is close to 0.8 - 0.9:, which is a good model to have in your corner, but I am not going to hug it

If I were right along the PA line, Id be sweating a little but anyone from Baltimore south should do no problem getting 6-10. with lollies of 12-14"

Sweating, why? 4-8" for us up here is a damn good snow for the beginning of March. No one should be sweating at all

As I'm learning the forum ropes... What is a troll?

A good primer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

Basically it's anybody who posts just to rile others up. In this forum, I have found that it's often folks who post disingenuous or obviously dishonest model interpretations even though they know better, posters from other regions (or even this region) who gloat/whine, those who post complaints or thinly-veiled (or not so veiled) insults directed at others, and those who lie about obs. 

I think 6-10" is a savvy forecast for me and you at this moment....

Yea it does. Im probably looking more forward to how fast whatever my total is can pile up than getting a max pile. The rates in the final band of the second mini-storm last week had me fired up. But only lasted 15 minutes. Give me a few hours of that during daylight and all is right with the world

36 hrs. I would say it "may" have come a bit south by a short distance, but not much (adding 24 hr and 36 hrmaps

Yeah that's somewhat south, adding the 12 hour panels on the 24 and 36 together. Precip maxes looked closer to our area (meaning closer to mitchnick and I) last night, now looks south by quite a bit.

Yea it does. Im probably looking more forward to how fast whatever my total is can pile up than getting a max pile. The rates in the final band of the second mini-storm last week had me fired up. But only lasted 15 minutes. Give me a few hours of that during daylight and all is right with the world

Rates are very important to me too, but the difference between 4" and 8" is astronomical....I'm having trouble feigning indifference and being zen about the whole thing when the best model in the history of mankind gives me 10"+

Sweating, why? 4-8" for us up here is a damn good snow for the beginning of March. No one should be sweating at all

Well it depends on how you look at it...yes you are correct, but just a couple days ago the max snow was along the PA line..clearly not the case now. Like I said yesterday, people need to relax anyway, if you want 3 feet of snow move to Watertown NY or something.

Rates are very important to me too, but the difference between 4" and 8" is astronomical....I'm having trouble feigning indifference and being zen about the whole thing when the best model in the history of mankind gives me 10"+

I think 6+ is very high prob. This setup is a very efficient sponge wringer. About as good as you can get without some ccb/deform setup.

I think 6-10" is a savvy forecast for me and you at this moment....

I like the CWg forecast of 5-9 but think the bottom end may be low.  Of course the difference between 5-9 and 6-10 is pretty small except maybe psychologically.....double digits tend to scare people except here.

I like the CWg forecast of 5-9 but think the bottom end may be low.  Of course the difference between 5-9 and 6-10 is pretty small except maybe psychologically.....double digits tend to scare people except here.

5-9" is a good forecast right now......I agree about the bottom end...even the most recent runs of the NAM/GFS give us 6-7"....but you can always tweak later without having to make a big adjustment..

Ha!  Yeah, ain't that the truth!  We all pray for double-digit snow here, while most other (some would say sane) people in the area hate it when we just get a couple of inches.

It happens to everyone. Thanks for having thick skin and hanging in there. 

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. I definitely got some not so polite remarks when I first joined and wanted to pull hair out of my head for sure but am settling in and enjoying the forum. :-)

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. I definitely got some not so polite remarks when I first joined and wanted to pull hair out of my head for sure but am settling in and enjoying the forum. :-)

You also probably need to get up to speed about "banter," which is that discussions like descriptions of trolls and whatnot probably shouldn't be in a model thread 18 hours before a storm. 

Archived