joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-3 Disco, Part III

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS still has the latest changeover of any model even though it goes below freezing earlier....I think a wildcard is how much frozen falls between midnight and 4am, and when does it change to snow..Euro has been on board with definitely getting some accumulating snow between 1am and 4am....if we have to wait until 5, then obviously we will get less snow....I am having trouble getting on board with any insane amounts as it looks like a 12 hour snow event tops....which is usually a good signal for 8" in a heavy snow event...

Sounds very reasonable to me.  I think CWG 5-9 forecast is the way to go for DC now.  If the EURO holds again at 12z we might have to take the 8-12 idea seriously though.

GFS still has the latest changeover of any model even though it goes below freezing earlier....I think a wildcard is how much frozen falls between midnight and 4am, and when does it change to snow..Euro has been on board with definitely getting some accumulating snow between 1am and 4am....if we have to wait until 5, then obviously we will get less snow....I am having trouble getting on board with any insane amounts as it looks like a 12 hour snow event tops....which is usually a good signal for 8" in a heavy snow event...

Hard to tell for sure but it looks like the gfs switches to snow at 3am? Snow line is in central md at 1am and prob moves quick

where it exits the coast will obviously determine what we ultimately end up with, but storm looks energetic on satellite:

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GSSLOOPS/ecir.html

from my experience in this area, west to east based systems that tap the gulf are the best setups we can ask for.  everyone likes to talk about noreasters, but those often lead to snow to mix/rain situations.  this is vice versa...i think i like that more even if it means less snow.

this could be a nice bookend to the winter if it materializes as expected.

All of us? As in DC? Doesn't look to good at all for my area. Went from to far south to now being to far north. Can't win. Congratz bwi-dc south people.

What are you talking about?  The 12Z GFS actually looks pretty similar in terms of QPF and temperature compared to its 06Z run, in fact looks like the precip field has expanded somewhat, ever so slightly.

Hopefully we don't see a scenario where the cold press is less and it still goes south.

I think thats a pretty low probability. The cold push is impressive on the models. People better get where they need to go tonight, because from dawn through early evening Monday it wont be pretty on the roads.

I'd guess we have to be sleet around 06Z, with the surface below freezing and 850's just above (but crashing rapidly it appears at that point).

FWIW- euro ens members are basically unanimous for a big hit. Precip mean panels are perfect. Not sure how useful the data is but the look is solid

I know some have said global ensembles are less useful in this range (though not totally useless)...but it's good that they're supportive of the ops Euro showing a big hit.

Archived