joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-3 Disco, Part III

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point. I went and looked up the surface winds to see where the cold air is coming from, and they are quite different with the NAM vs every other model. I used the ECMWF, but the 12z GFS is pretty much the same as the ECMWF. Look how much further south the northern east-west flow is on the NAM:

Here's the 6z NAM (don't have 12z at this source yet):

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-03-02 at 11.16.11 AM.png

Here's the 0z ECMWF: 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-03-02 at 11.16.19 AM.png

Thanks for answering.  It's way early, I know, but in past storms our cold seemingly arrives later than modeled.  Of course every situation is different and this is a rare cold event for March, but I am wondering if this doesn't all tick more north than guidance.  I am not saying that as a weenie either.  It's win/lose situation.  Comes north, less cold.   Goes south, less snow but higher ratios. 

Just making an observation and trying not to be all taker.  ;)

Think he's having some math problems but oh well. ;)

edit: I don't think he was here for Feb 12-13 but maybe.

It would be cool if dca beats the 2/12 storm. Considering how cold it will be during and after, even if the totals are modestly lower it will be a better all around even. The drip drip drip of the 2/12 storm definitely took some of the allure out of a big snow. And having heavies during daylight is always a net+

GGEM is a nice hit for DC.....~0.65" falls after 9z....though I am starting to worry that 9z is not snow on any of these models and that we flip closer to 5-6am

all our storms are a pain here except once in a blue moon but this one has lots of bust potential given the narrow zone of max precip, pressing dry air etc.

It would be cool if dca beats the 2/12 storm. Considering how cold it will be during and after, even if the totals are modestly lower it will be a better all around even. The drip drip drip of the 2/12 storm definitely took some of the allure out of a big snow. And having heavies during daylight is always a net+

we could beat it at DCA for sure if it comes together right.  i didn't notice the zone has iso t-storms in it!

It would be nice if we can get the flip closer to 3am like the Euro has

It would also be nice if the 12z euro destroys us with precip again....I'm kinda feelin it but post mortem will decide the winning model.

I'll hug the snowiest and be satisfied with the nam either way. Nam may go nuts too. It has 2 more runs to do it

Sweating, why? 4-8" for us up here is a damn good snow for the beginning of March. No one should be sweating at all

That's my feelings as well. Of course I don't want to be shut out but if we get 6 or less and someone 45 mile south gets 12 I could care less. Good for them and I would feel this way whether I've had 70 inches up to this point or 30 inches.

GGEM is a nice hit for DC.....~0.65" falls after 9z....though I am starting to worry that 9z is not snow on any of these models and that we flip closer to 5-6am

GFS is snow/sleet at 06Z at IAD, zr at DCA, both are snow at 09Z.  I think it pans out.

the warm nose is pretty shallow anyway.....might even snow with 800mb at +1...so on the GFS before 9z

If rates are good, I think we can overcome that... its pretty shallow as you say.  I think Bob Chill said it a few pages ago, if its light we prob have to wait for flip.  If its coming down hard, we flip earlier

Wonder how well these models are taking into account the cooling effect of melting snow as it passes through such a narrow warm nose.

It largely depends if the septum of the warm nose is deviated or not. If so, the falling snow is disrupted during it's descent and maintains it's dendritic structure in most cases.

Archived