• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-3 Disco, Part III

stormtracker

As much as I want this to come north, I don't see why it would. All of the models seem to agree on a more southern track, but who knows, maybe Justin's map will verify. :)

I am a broken record but I think there will be an enhanced band running north of the heaviest modeled snow axis. There always seems to be some enhancement due to the colder temps, geography, whatever. Keep an eye on radar overnight and we'll see.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a broken record but I think there will be an enhanced band running north of the heaviest modeled snow axis. There always seems to be some enhancement due to the colder temps, geography, whatever. Keep an eye on radar overnight and we'll see.

But you cannot think 10-14" is a reasonable call.

You may be right.

He does have his cool-aid followers. For those who really pay attention, he is pretty awful. CWG's new map is spot on IMO, based on a blend of all the current guidance, and proper weighting.

Good map from CWG. 6-10 would have been my call but that is splitting hairs. I still think most are underestimating northern MD, southern PA, and the huge snow magnets in those areas this year...

Good points. Could the snow ratios be 12:1-15:1 during the coldest parts of the storm? Perhaps Justin include this in his forecast...

From JB2's article...

"...After analyzing multiple models along with the satellite, radar, and core energy from California now in Texas that will head out way, I’ve determined this: The arctic boundary is a force beyond the norm in the climatology/history included in the model calculations. There is a lot of history included in how this may play out, but we often don’t have arctic air like this in early March. But the storm that hit California is also stronger than the norm and has a lot of warmer subtropical energy with it. So while the front has been seen to drop father south, I see the final wave of low pressure on Monday that will either push it back north a little or send the moisture farther north with its momentum. Since the Canadian Model does the best with arctic air and it does not push the front too far south, I have considered that to hold the heaviest snow right in the middle of central Maryland..."

Thoughts?

Without addressing the relevance of historical events in the deterministic rather than statistical output products, I'd like to note that the 19Z surface analysis, most notably the thermal profile, looks a lot more like the 12Z meso NAM's forecast than the 12Z RGEM's guess.   

18z RAP has DCA ~14 at 7am :yikes:

I don't know much about snow ratio calculations (seems to be an inexact science), but some folks might be surprised if we get 15:1 or better ratios. .7 or .8 inches of precip at those ratios can be big... Wasn't there a storm earlier this year where IAD and other areas had 15-20:1 throughout the storm?

I don't know much about snow ratio calculations (seems to be an inexact science), but some folks might be surprised if we get 15:1 or better ratios. .7 or .8 inches of precip at those ratios can be big... Wasn't there a storm earlier this year where IAD and other areas had 15-20:1 throughout the storm?

1/21 had claimed IAD received 8.5 inches and IIRC 25:1 snow ratios. Though they didn't correspond with nearby observations. That was a great powery cold snow as well however. 

Good map from CWG. 6-10 would have been my call but that is splitting hairs. I still think most are underestimating northern MD, southern PA, and the huge snow magnets in those areas this year...

I just dont know if that applies with this type of event. With the cold pressing so far south, why would there be heavier snow deeper in the arctic air mass? The axis of heavy snow should set up then shift SE with time. I actually think CWG has it nailed with the area of potentially heavier snow. Maybe even a tick south of there. But the reality is, everyone from PA border south is gonna get at least a moderate event.

1/21 had claimed IAD received 8.5 inches and IIRC 25:1 snow ratios. Though they didn't correspond with nearby observations. That was a great powery cold snow as well however.

Everyone does it but taking ratios from a tipping bucket compared to a measurement is problematic and tends to overstate ratios.

I just dont know if that applies with this type of event. With the cold pressing so far south, why would there be heavier snow deeper in the arctic air mass? The axis of heavy snow should set up then shift SE with time. I actually think CWG has it nailed with the area of potentially heavier snow. Maybe even a tick south of there. But the reality is, everyone from PA border south is gonna get at least a moderate event.

We had the same thing several times in 09-10, most notably Jan 30. All I am saying is I have seen this same routine before about there being a mega-cutoff across southern PA when in reality there seems to usually be a megaband up there that saves the day. Just a weenie observation from watching the models and storms for years. Maybe the colder, drier air causes some enhancement to set up as precip rides over it? The earlier changeover could also be a wildcard up there that is not being discussed much. It could take a while for southern MD and RIC to changeover and some of the heavy stuff could fall as sleet or even rain.

I disagree. He has missed on some key features on several events, but is very good at explaining it away to his not so weather savvy followers.

Maybe I should have said dead on vs. JB1. ;) Meh. No matter. It will snow and be a great weenie winter conclusion. Except maybe late week too. Haha.

Archived