CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
March 2-3 Disco, Part III

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

zwyts insulted me. That is not right. I did nothing wrong. All I was saying is that according to the map I was looking at, it shows 2-4" for DC. The higher amounts are of course on the south side. He claims I am wrong, yet he still didn't tell me how much it shows.

I mention D.C. because I assumed most on this forum live in/near DC.

Maue posted 18 z hi-res NAM snowfall map. This IS ~4 for DC. I don't get this whole discussion. https://twitter.com/ryanmaue/status/440228268612915200

I have this weird feeling that you see the model output on your NWS desktop PC like 15-30 minutes before the rest of us and want to toy with people.

With as fast as we disseminate it and people pick up the data, process it and display it on their sites, nope.  It actually amazes me how fast it gets out.

With as fast as we disseminate it and people pick up the data, process it and display it on their sites, nope.  It actually amazes me how fast it gets out.

Yeah, I typically look at the NCEP site for the models, and almost every time the discussion in here is way ahead of what I see on their site!  Half the time, I read the stuff in here, then go back retroactively and look once all the forecast projections have loaded.

The RGEM has been rock solid over the past 2 days. Given it's consistency run-to-run, I'd go with it over the NAM. Not saying the NAM is wrong, but it certainly isn't consistent.

Biggest difference I see just comparing the RGEM vs. NAM is the precip cut-off to the north.  It's much less (or at least much farther north) on the RGEM.  That, and it appears its heavy precip axis is a little north of the NAM too.  Other than that, seems to me the overall evolution at various levels is similar.

Hi res nam might be on to something? Shows some higher amounts north and west but only where there is some higher elevation (ie Catoctin mtn) could be that nam is picking up on colder air coming in more quickly meaning that first few hours of precipitation will already be snow up there. We stay rain here in dc longer and by the time precip changes to snow most of it has moved south. And so upper me dc and lower montgomery county get very little snow. Looking forward to feedback on my comment. No insults please?

The RGEM has been rock solid over the past 2 days. Given it's consistency run-to-run, I'd go with it over the NAM. Not saying the NAM is wrong, but it certainly isn't consistent.

Yeah, but one can be consistently (stubbornly) wrong. The RGEM started off 3F too warm at FDK and IAD at 18Z. Now, as of 21Z, it's off by 6F/3.3C at FDK and 9F/4.8C at IAD. 

FWIW, the NAM is within .75C for both locations. 

Maue posted 18 z hi-res NAM snowfall map. This IS ~4 for DC. I don't get this whole discussion. https://twitter.com/ryanmaue/status/440228268612915200

zwyts insulted me. That is not right. I did nothing wrong. All I was saying is that according to the map I was looking at, it shows 2-4" for DC. The higher amounts are of course on the south side. He claims I am wrong, yet he still didn't tell me how much it shows.

I mention D.C. because I assumed most on this forum live in/near DC.

He appears to have been insulting and had zero patience for the past 48 hours. I dont post much except in observation as I have nothing to ad of value. I would not ask him specifically though it appears based on recent posts he will respond in a annoyed if not downright rude manner.

Maybe....The questions can be answered by others on the board and some of you on this board can realize all questions are not directed at you and you only.. Just my two cents and I know its banter...

That being said I appreciate all of the great work and analysis on this site. Sometimes we need to read a little more and not ask as many questions.

I have this weird feeling that you see the model output on your NWS desktop PC like 15-30 minutes before the rest of us and want to toy with people.

It's more like 30 - 40min. All the data first has to go to the "post processing team" before it's released to the public. The PPT changes all the values in the data files by a random +/-15% before publication... 

And all the throwing around of the high res NAM...I believe they are referencing the fire wx nest which is pretty bad.  RM should be able to see that with the precip holes in MoCo.  I'd stick with the NAM itself for QPF.

Archived