joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really doesn't matter how much snow anyone gets. The headlines coming out of this one will be ice.

Of course. What worries me is if some areas get 4, 5, or 6 inches of heavy wet snow then they end up getting significant freezing rain on top of it. I mean ffc is forecasting around 6 inches of snow in athens and a half inch of ice..that's just wicked...and least we forget the high winds along with it.

James, what is your loc? Disabled now and I forgot.

KGSO.  I live like 5 minutes from the airport (which is actually west side of Greensboro).

This could be a situation where the airport gets 10" while downtown gets 6" with a lot of pingers.  The same could be true for Charlotte since the airport is well to the NW of town.  There could even be a similar gradient for RDU vs. Raleigh.

There is very strong cold advection right above the surface.  By sunrise tomorrow 950mb temps drop to -6c/21 in athens so naturally surface temps are going to drop. Not our usual way of getting below freezing in a cad situation which is normally helped out a lot by  evaporational cooling.

Thank you for some explanation.  I didn't think this was a normal type of CAD situation.

Brad P saying 8" reports coming out of Eastern NC...talk about over performing.

Some have not been updated, i.e. Farmville, reports of 8-10" in Hyde County (un-confirmed).

Beulaville - 3 inches

Bridgeton - 5 inches

Buxton - 2 inches

Chocowinity - 3 inches

Ernul - 3.8 inches

Farmville - 1.5 inches

Greenville - 3.8 inches

Hatteras - 2.5 inches

Havelock - 2 inches

Kinston - 2 inches

Jacksonville - 1 inch

La Grange - 1.5 inches

New Bern - 5 inches

Ocracoke - 4.5 inches

Oriental - 6 inches

Pikeville - 3 inches

Richlands - 5.5 inches

Stantonsburg - 2.5 inches

Swan Quarter - 5.5 inches

Wallace - 6 inches

Washington - 1 inch

Glenn Burns @GlennBurnsWSB 4m

NWS upgraded south metro and points east to an ICE STORM WARNING. Threat has now turned from CATASTROPHIC to BIBLICAL! #wsbtv

OK, that's it. NWS is no longer allowed to issue ICE STORM WARNINGs.  We need to keep these threats in the CATASTROPHIC "pretend it's manageable" category!

(Did NWS even know they had that power to bump threats from "CATASTROPHIC" to "BIBLICAL!" ?)

I was able to manage about 3 hours of sleep last night between radar/model checking.  I wonder how much sleep I’ll be able to get tonight with the storm of the century approaching?

Anybody else preparing for sleep deprivation over the next 48 hours?

already am sleep deprived. I haven't slept in 2 weeks because of things not related to weather so this is making it even worse to say the least.

And um, yeah..the latest rap radar forecast was.....interesting.

I can think of a good joke or two about weenies with this

RAP_255_2014021122_F11_CREF_SURFACE.png

Some Folks were talking about a *paper*, explain Convection, (T-Storms?) Robbing or Affecting Moister transport into the SouthEast states, For example during this Upcoming storm.. I think Lookout was asking about this among a few others...

Would this happen to be this Paper, They are looking for, talking about?

I hope I helped here some-what..

The Effect of Upstream Convection on Downstream Precipitation

Operational forecasters in the southeast and mid-Atlantic regions of the United States have noted a

positive quantitative precipitation forecast (QPF) bias in numerical weather prediction (NWP) model

forecasts downstream of some organized, cold-season convective systems. Examination of cold-season cases

in which model QPF guidance exhibited large errors allowed identification of two representative cases for

detailed analysis. The goals of the case study analyses are to (i) identify physical mechanisms through which

the upstream convection (UC) alters downstream precipitation amounts, (ii) determine why operational

models are challenged to provide accurate guidance in these situations, and (iii) suggest future research

directions that would improve model forecasts in these situations and allow forecasters to better anticipate

such events.

Cont.. at link---> http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/WAF986.1

I hope this is the Paper ya'll were asking about/looking for?

Some Folks were talking about a *paper*, explain Convection, (T-Storms?) Robbing or Affecting Moister transport into the SouthEast states, For example during this Upcoming storm.. I think Lookout was asking about this among a few others...

That is probably it. Awesome find.

I plan to sleep tonight.. After the 00 runs :). i hope.. Maybe..

I was able to manage about 3 hours of sleep last night between radar/model checking.  I wonder how much sleep I’ll be able to get tonight with the storm of the century approaching?

That would be it sir!

thanks

I hope I helped here some-what..

The Effect of Upstream Convection on Downstream Precipitation

Operational forecasters in the southeast and mid-Atlantic regions of the United States have noted a

positive quantitative precipitation forecast (QPF) bias in numerical weather prediction (NWP) model

forecasts downstream of some organized, cold-season convective systems. Examination of cold-season cases

in which model QPF guidance exhibited large errors allowed identification of two representative cases for

detailed analysis. The goals of the case study analyses are to (i) identify physical mechanisms through which

the upstream convection (UC) alters downstream precipitation amounts, (ii) determine why operational

models are challenged to provide accurate guidance in these situations, and (iii) suggest future research

directions that would improve model forecasts in these situations and allow forecasters to better anticipate

such events.

Cont.. at link---> http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/WAF986.1

I hope this is the Paper ya'll were asking about/looking for?

ok some of the posts this afternoon are hysterical lol.  finally got caught up on stuff i think. i am tired from todays event - way over performed.  wish i hadnt looked out the window at 5 AM (lol joking of course :)

Of course. What worries me is if some areas get 4, 5, or 6 inches of heavy wet snow then they end up getting significant freezing rain on top of it. I mean ffc is forecasting around 6 inches of snow in athens and a half inch of ice..that's just wicked...and least we forget the high winds along with it.

i have been pretty much thinking mostly snow so no issues here. but seeing what this wet snow did today to the trees and limbs, and seeing that it is all still there, makes me wonder about my power now.  got my phone and ipad plugged in to keep charged just in case lol.

just started realizing the winds should start howling at some point (i have been focusing on today up until now)

tell me about it lol.  got up at 5 am.  as soon as the snow let up and i took the final measurement i went to bed for a 3 hour power nap lol.  thinking it will be a smart move seeing whats next.

i am still floored by todays over performance and am having trouble grasping whats up next and the amounts i am seeing.  i am not dreaming still i hope

if this cranks as advertised and getting clobbered with heavy snow again at 2 AM i plan to be up for that!

temps slowly (and painfully slowly) dropping.  its so foggy that may end up with some freezing fog/drizzle is the winds dont clear things out soon

Archived