joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

like WxKnurd said Phil is an expert on the microclimate here. Just worrisome but I'm leaning on NWS and Robert hard!

Yep it's always tough trying to figure out what side of the line you're on though.

Yep, I'm still getting use to dealing more with riding that transition line here in the CLT area having grown up in HKY. I'm probably in one of the better spots, outside of griteater who is up by Lake Norman, in Mecklenburg to hold the mixing at bay as long as possible. If MBY can get to the 6" mark or above before a possible transition and then switch back as the deform band comes through I'll consider that a huge win. Make my use if vacation time worth it!

Yep, I'm still getting use to dealing more with riding that transition line here in the CLT area having grown up in HKY. I'm probably in one of the better spots, outside of griteater who is up by Lake Norman, in Mecklenburg to hold the mixing at bay as long as possible. If MBY can get to the 6" mark or above before a possible transition and then switch back as the deform band comes through I'll consider that a huge win. Make my use if vacation time worth it!

Luckily at work I was the "weather guy" so I got to make the call about work/no work tomorrow and they wanted me watching maps, etc... today to stay up to date! Finally this hobby has literally paid off. 

Pulled from the MA thread,  :facepalm:

[sNIPPED IMAGE]

:lmao:

There's some random cities on there, haha.  Teays Valley, WV (that's not even an incorporated city) instead of Charleston, WV (maybe to avoid confusion with Charleston, SC, but then why not using Huntington, WV?)?  Rockville, MD instead of Washington, DC?  Edgartown, MA instead of Boston?

Let me try this question in the wild and crazy Burns thread:

Can anyone tell us about the EPS ensemble mean track or the members?  I know that it's a little late in the game to be using the ensembles but I wondered if the mean track was east of the op.  Thanks!

Operational Euro and the ensemble mean are like right on top of each other.  

No matter what happens this storm is a huge Euro win.  It sniffed it out days before the other models and also had the track on the coast way before the other models.  Some model is always going to be 50-100 miles off, although the spread this time is kinda nuts. 

No matter what I get it's pretty exciting to be on the eve of a historic SE storm.  People will be talking about the ice in GA, SC and maybe NC for the rest of their lives.

Alright - time for me to exit AmWx for the duration and free up some bandwidth.

I'm going with (for upstate SC):

North and west of I-85 = 9"-10".

Southern upstate SC = 4"-6" with sleet mixing.

Debating mixing issues, tracks, etc at this point is all that will happen in the threads. I do not buy mixing as a problem for my area. Not one bit.

Model watching is irrelevant now.

And yes - Euro did well. It always does in a **Split Flow**.

See you all on the other side.

People a lot smarter than us are saying it's not. If the Euro tracks west of Morehead City that will be pretty amazing beat down of the rest of the models. If it tracks east of there then it will be an inside 48hr Euro bust. I think we will know a little better tonight, the GFS was close to being very Euro like at 18z.

We are splitting 50 miles at this point, which is well within the noise of the short term mesos, and ECMWF.  Track through the OBX to just of the VA Capes, from a potential energy standpoint, one could argue it pulls just offshore to the ATL waters.  I have a hard time believing the slp rides 95 through NC given the 850 track. The RGEM does give some pause though, neg axis west of the MS, real monster with the H5 close off and PVA tail.  Model tends to perform better than the NAM at any range.

Forgive me if the way I ask this doesn't make sense, but have the various layers of the atmosphere trended colder this afternoon leading to more of a snowy solution for more people irregardless of the exact location of the lp? Obviously the track will have an impact on QPF and cold air to some extent, but it seems like there is less concern around a warm nose now than there was earlier in the day. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Luckily at work I was the "weather guy" so I got to make the call about work/no work tomorrow and they wanted me watching maps, etc... today to stay up to date! Finally this hobby has literally paid off.

Ironically I was to start my two-week rotation for work up in Ohio this week but won't head up til Friday afternoon probably (as long as Interstates are cleared enough to do so) as I decided experiencing a possible historic storm was worth a vacation day or two. Already seen numerous below zero temperatures and wind chills up there this winter along with numerous 2-4" snows. This storm will hopefully be the cherry on the top of this 2013-2014 winter for me.

You got to like the SREF track, this is the all CLT/GSO snow track, wouldn't pay attention to temps on the SREF though, IMO.

Latest 21z SREF

Beautiful track!  Why don't you put more of this in the discussion thread instead of banter?  

EDIT:  It actually ticked WEST of the 15z run.  I have to get out of this negative thread. It's rubbing off on me!

I am interested in the SREF, RGEM, GFS and UK. And of course Euro. The key is we need it tracking through Florida, not GA/SC, when it hits the Atlantic.

Dont worry.. its not. The SLP is ese of Brownsville TX @ 1014mb. Surface trough is across north FL. The path of least resistance would be N florida into the Atlantic.

pmsl.gif?1392168517327

I just want to throw this out there.  The 00z GFS actually showed this storm pretty close to what looks like will verify at the hr 200+ mark.  It's pretty amazing, actually.  I don't know if you guys remember that ridiculous PBP I did in the banter thread for it about 10 days ago. :lol:

That's the beauty of the GFS.  At 4 times a day and no consistency it shows every possibility.  You just never know which one was right!

Dont worry.. its not. The SLP is ese of Brownsville TX @ 1014mb. Surface trough is across north FL. The path of least resistance would be N florida into the Atlantic.

Has every model not trended to the Euro and RGEM today?  Showing it going through Southern Georgia and up between 95 and the shore line.  Just really hard to bet against the EURO and its 97% accuracy, the Canadian and for the most part UK.

Here is what Fishel just said on Twitter...

wralweather@wralweather 26m

Snow lovers, sledders may be disappointed with this storm. Accumulation totals:

The maps hows Wake County in the 1-4" range.

He would do that every time there is a snow threat no matter what the models show until things start going. There is no way it is only 1 to 4 inches here.

Beautiful track!  Why don't you put more of this in the discussion thread instead of banter?  

EDIT:  It actually ticked WEST of the 15z run.  I have to get out of this negative thread. It's rubbing off on me!

Yeah, it did a little, but there was less spread in E NC, so less members were taking it inland.  I'll take it.  That track works for us.

Everyone (including mby) in the ZR zone please prepare and be safe!!  I went through a nasty ice storm in the RDU area in Dec. 2005.  I was without power for over a week.  The irony  is I was taking Atmospheric Processes at Carolina at the time and we discussed how catastrophic an inch of ice was going to be and I still did not comprehend it until it happened.  I wish I would have prepared more for it.

Archived