joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, in all seriousness, the 18z RGEM is so damn crazy with the QPF that it isn't even that bad here.  That looks like somewhere between 0.5"-0.8" before the changeover and then more snow late in the run with a crap ton of sleet in the interim.

Hurricane Tracker said it held serve at 0z

NAM still looks like a good hit for RDU according to others. 4 to 8 inches of snow with ice, too. I could do without the ice but the runs still keep going a good hit of snow. The thing I don't get is why Fishel says only 1 to 4 inches of snow ow when all the models have showed 4 being on the low side, even with the ice.

Brick, in all seriousness, in this situation, you should not count on much snow. There is going to be all kinds of warm air aloft very, very quickly. Unless we get an unexpected band of overrunning precip move in, it's going to be difficult to get 4 inches of snow here.

Brick, in all seriousness, in this situation, you should not count on much snow. There is going to be all kinds of warm air aloft very, very quickly. Unless we get an unexpected band of overrunning precip move in, it's going to be difficult to get 4 inches of snow here.

S why do all the models keep showing that, even with the ice?

Question on the CAD that is starting to settle in to NC.  Past history from me living in Winston-Salem area is that the dry cold air settles in and when the precip gets here, it takes an hour or two before the atmosphere is dampened and the snow actually hits the ground.  Will we see the same thing with this storm ?  Was not sure if the heavy wet snow helped to dampen the air sooner.

Question on the CAD that is starting to settle in to NC. Past history from me living in Winston-Salem area is that the dry cold air settles in and when the precip gets here, it takes an hour or two before the atmosphere is dampened and the snow actually hits the ground. Will we see the same thing with this storm ? Was not sure if the heavy wet snow helped to dampen the air sooner.

Lanie pope talked about this and said that by noon, the air should begin to moisten up with precipitation falling around 3pm.

I don't know. Why did the NAM show a foot of snow for the whole state the other day?

Been thinking about this, whatever the SLP track it appears to give us 2-3" of snow, then it depends on whether it's sleet/frzn or rain/dryslot, does it really matter...no it doesn't, we aren't inline for possible 8-10" and the west track would take us down to 2-4" with ice.  Going to stay up the for UK and root the CLT/Triad folks on.  My money is on the UK being the right track, just inside HAT.

Lanie pope talked about this and said that by noon, the air should begin to moisten up with precipitation falling around 3pm.

Good deal....I figured it would still be like that.  It is a bummer though....I have seen a few storms here where it took close to 3 hours before you saw a flake and I figured we missed out on at lease a couple inches because of that.  Fortunately for this storm, it is appearing like we will have plenty of snow to pass around.

Been thinking about this, whatever the SLP track it appears to give us 2-3" of snow, then it depends on whether it's sleet/frzn or rain/dryslot, does it really matter...no it doesn't, we aren't inline for possible 8-10" and the west track would take us down to 2-4" with ice.  Going to stay up the for UK and root the CLT/Triad folks on.  My money is on the UK being the right track, just inside HAT.

I hope you are right. My wife and I own a custom cake business in the Huntersville, NC north of charlotte and we can't afford to be out of power for a long time. Especially with a super busy weekend for Valentine's Day!

Been thinking about this, whatever the SLP track it appears to give us 2-3" of snow, then it depends on whether it's sleet/frzn or rain/dryslot, does it really matter...no it doesn't, we aren't inline for possible 8-10" and the west track would take us down to 2-4" with ice. Going to stay up the for UK and root the CLT/Triad folks on. My money is on the UK being the right track, just inside HAT.

Yeah, good point. 2 vs 4 inches really doesn't matter all that much. How did he RGEM look? West of the last run?

Edit: just saw your map.

Archived