• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

And that my friend is your last lesson in Ga. weather :)  The tears.  I am so glad I don't have your job, lol. I have to say I'm surprised, you'd be so rudely ejected from the sweet spot!  Will it last?  T

haha! It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it... Here's hoping we switch over to snow soon... The newsroom is getting flooded with calls asking where the snow is!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The flakes are still pretty small here and it's been snowing for a couple of hours now...they aren't the big fluffly type flakes I've seen in the marginal snowstorms. I always thought that was because of how dry the snow is. This isn't a wet snow by any stretch of imagination. Hmmm..

Then this might be a problem with the amount of forcing over your location. You can still get nice "fluffly" flakes when lift is maximized and strong over the dendritic growth zone. When if the lift is weak though, you don't see very much snow growth regardless of the temperature. You do typically see more "fluffy" snow in marginal cases because typically the lift overcomes the warmer boundary layer temperatures because the lift is so strong. In this case, the boundary layer temperatures aren't a huge issue, so you can still see snow while the flakes are smaller in size. If the forcing does move over your region the flakes should get larger.

haha! It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it... Here's hoping we switch over to snow soon... The newsroom is getting flooded with calls asking where the snow is!

Yep, that's the worst part.  It's Your fault, lol.   I've got good snow now.  The stuff I'm used to.... so it's coming.   T

Edit:  Just look at it this way.  You have your viewers over prepared.  They won't be near as dangerous as those people over in Ala. who seem to be under prepared. 

Thanks very much. Is this a repeat of snowjam 1982?? I was in the middle of that huge mess and swore to myself I'd never let that happen again! Is this a repeat 32 year later?

Honestly it's pretty similar....I was pretty young but remember it well.  The main difference I remember with Snowjam '82 was how fast the snow accumulated on the roads in the middle of the afternoon.  It was predicted, however it moved in faster than expected and accumulated so fast that it stranded thousands of people.  My dad had a dentist appt. that afternoon and I remember he had to walk home and we didn't hear from him until about 8PM.  It was crazy.  Here in NE Gwinnett county, the ground is becoming covered but it's not snowing hard enough up here to impact the roads (yet).  Apparently different story a couple of counties to the south of us!

Update from GSO...

22 IMBY. Small flakes of snow falling nicely for nearly an hour. Rate has really picked up over the past half hour. Roofs are white. Car is covered. Grass is still visible, but won't be for long if this keeps up. Surprised at how fast accumulations are occurring. Here's to hoping that this is just bonus snow before some good stuff this evening. [fingers crossed]

Then this might be a problem with the amount of forcing over your location. You can still get nice "fluffly" flakes when lift is maximized and strong over the dendritic growth zone. When if the lift is weak though, you don't see very much snow growth regardless of the temperature. You do typically see more "fluffy" snow in marginal cases because typically the lift overcomes the warmer boundary layer temperatures because the lift is so strong. In this case, the boundary layer temperatures aren't a huge issue, so you can still see snow while the flakes are smaller in size. If the forcing does move over your region the flakes should get larger.

It's still been a very steady, moderate snow with bouts of heavy snow for a long time now...about 1.5 inches here in Conyers which isn't bad at all...probably one of the highest totals in the Atlanta area....the green banding continues to train on me. Anyways, thank you for information!

Larry, in a spot Spann was telling people to leave their cars.  So I'm guessing they will have the same deal.  They had to have an army of wreckers down by the stadium to pull all those abandoned cars so emergency could get through.  Everybody thinks they can drive in this stuff, and nobody can :)  T

Archived