joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The low of 5 last night bested the previous record low for the date of 9 at PGV and the high of 27 on Wed 29th beat the previous record min high of 30. That also made the 4th day we have not gotten above 30 this winter which is pretty remarkable we normally average 1 day at best every winter with a high less than 30.

Freezing rain here in ILM...

Near term /until 6 am Friday morning/...
as of 515 PM Thursday...Freezing Rain Advisory is now in effect
through midnight for mainly the coastal counties of southeast NC
and northeast SC.

Bands of very light precipitation identified by radar mosaic displays...are
moving northeast and basically tracking parallel to the Carolina
coasts. The western fringes of the precipitation has been partially moving
onshore late this afternoon...and will continue through this
evening. Surface and ground reports indicate liquid precipitation falling with
a few ice pellets. With current air temperatures around 32
degrees..

I was thinking about doing a separate thread for these questions but, this obs thread is about dead so I will try it here. Lookout's post about temp differences on his property & a lot of variations in obs temps got me to thinking. We should have people who have pws post some general info about them. It would enable us to get a better picture of what is being reported. I am going to give it a shot below & we will see where it goes.

AshevilleDon pws info: Located in back yard Temp sensor @ 2M, Rain sensor @ 2.25M, anemometer app 15 ft above ground.

Let me know what you guys think about it.

Main roads are great but they never plowed a lot of the main secondary roads and they are still pretty rough kids haven't been to school since Mon and the school just called said no go tomorrow as well...

Here are my folks palm trees today when we sledding over there

attachicon.gifpalm snow.jpg

attachicon.gifice palm.jpg

they look really good- the cold doesn't seem to have damaged them; I have 3 of the same type at my house in OKI- was getting a little worried with all the ice, snow and cold

Major improvements done to most major roads in my county today. NCDOT working hard on getting them straight and they are doing good. Lots of secondary roads were not touched by DOT but they were hard packed sleet and snow and to be honest the sun was doing a better job than they probably could have.

they look really good- the cold doesn't seem to have damaged them; I have 3 of the same type at my house in OKI- was getting a little worried with all the ice, snow and cold

Yeah they have been through 3-4 big snows now but this is prolly the coldest weather they have ever had to deal with was 5 this morning.

post-141-0-79825600-1391132335_thumb.jpg

River landing frozen over its actually 15-20 ft deep by the marker I have only seen this froze over like that completely maybe 7-8 times in 40 yrs

post-141-0-39251200-1391132383_thumb.jpg

I definitely had my first  :weenie:  :weenie:  :weenie:  moment when the snow took FOREVER to get here. We had a nice glaze of ice, less than .1", before it changed to all snow. Snow was REALLY coming down at times in Columbus and we finished with 1.5" near the TV Station, but closer to 3" at my apartment in North Columbus. 

Lessens learned from all of this (at least for me)? Trust the timing of your forecast. Always go with a slight northwest trend. Overrunning produces A LOT more precip than models pick up on (Robert said this, I know, but I was just so focused on Columbus that I didn't look more north). 

My forecast totals weren't that bad, actually, from my call Sunday afternoon, but the precip shield being more northwest definitely led to higher totals there. That and they saw a bit more ice in my SE counties thanks to the precip taking just a while longer. Here it is if you guys want to critique: https://twitter.com/WXReese/status/427510703214194688/photo/1

This was only my second time forecasting snow in a real world setting (grew up in Florida, but had a bit during my schooling), so I'll take these experiences and lock them away for future events. 

Archived