joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

these low's are amazing so far this year. i can't remember a winter with so many single digit readings.

Me either. This cold this year has been insane. I have three readings to report. Last night I saw the temp dropping fast so I put one down near the ground in the front yard and in a low spot of my yard that is typically a good bit colder than the higher front part of my yard on calm nights. My normal gauge which sits about 3 feet off the ground is at 9.8 The reading on top of the hill near the ground is 6.8. The reading a the bottom, 2 inches from the ground and over one of the better areas of snow, is -0.5! That's the lowest temperature I have ever recorded in that spot. The old record was around 2.

Fact of business though, There are a lot of below zero readings this morning on wunderground in eastern alabama and west/northwest ga..some as low as -4 or -5!! Even official stations are near zero. Rome is right at 0 and peachtree city is at 2!

and here is a cool image, it's so cold it shows up on satellite. I've only ever seen that in the mountains and further north. Never the lower elevations in alabama and georgia.

post-12-0-33989400-1391084927_thumb.jpg

Just briefly dipped to -1 making it my first subzero since I guess the late 80s or early 90s. 7th single digit or lower this year. Anybody remember the argument we had back in December about the number of lows in the teens for ATL? Seems silly now.

That's awesome. There are a few subzero temps showing up as well just southwest of atlanta and a zero reading near conyers. I can't believe there are so many sub zero readings. You have to keep in mind the low temps that were forecasted by ffc was between 12 (peachtree city where it's now 1.9) and 17 in atlanta. So temps are MUCH colder than expected in spots that are traditionally colder on good radiational cooling nights.

Meanwhile, it's 15 degrees warmer in athens, atlanta, gainesville. So location is everything. The exception being in northwest ga/eastern half of alabama where lows below 5 and even below zero are common. As hky said, I've never seen so many single digit temps in one winter before....or so many lows in the teens either. I've lost count on how many times it's dropped into the teens..which is saying something because many years we won't even reach the teens.

edit to add rome got to -1

these low's are amazing so far this year. i can't remember a winter with so many single digit readings.

I agree. We haven't seen widespread single digits in 11 years in N Ga and now we have had 3 separate airmasses, 3 separate weeks, with single digits this month.

Rome becomes the first "major" GA city / NWS reporting site to go below 0 since the 1980's. They just hit -1, as Lookout said. Wow!

My brother in Rome called to report an official low of -1 was recorded at the airport.  Their forecast low was between 11 and 14.  Another reminder of the power of a snowpack!

We dropped to 18 here in Perry with most of the 1/2" accumulation still on the ground.  The roads appear to be in very good shape locally, but are likely more icy as you get closer to Warner Robins and Macon as they had 2"-3" of accumulation.

We were within about 20 miles of having a pretty solid snowfall, but the changeover simply happened too late.  It was painful watching the rain/snow line inch its way southeastward through the early evening without making much progress.  Columbus, GA reported upper 20's most of the day with ZR, but something kept the cold from really working its way into the central part of the state.  Perhaps someone can comment on what was happening in the upper levels or at the surface that delayed the push of cold air.

We stayed stuck at 34 degrees for several hours, even with moderate precipitation falling.  The changeover to sleet didn't arrive in force until about 9:00 p.m.  About 20 minutes later it transitioned to all snow.  During the late afternoon and most of the early evening, we lost quite a bit of QPF to plain 'ol rain.  But, I keep reminding myself that a 1/2" of snow is better than no snow at all!  Snowless winters are certainly the norm down here so seeing white on the ground for 2 straight days is a win!

Apart from the cold air being delayed, the short term models seemed to perform very well on Tuesday.  The model analysis that was given before and during the storm was invaluable.  The SE forum definitely hit a grand slam with this one!

One final note...kudos to Larry (GaWx) for starting the main thread well in advance.  This isn't the first time that his analysis and amazing data trove of weather history has proven him to be the sage of the SE forum.  I have always paid special attention to his posts and this just solidifies his position as the "weather prophet!"

Well darn compared to others in ga I wasn't really that "cold" last night lol. Only made it to the singles (again haha) above zero: 7.3

I can't remember a ga winter where mby has registered this many single digits ever,let alone in a month. For some reason this year singles are apparently easy for all of us to reach lol

Ps can't believe another possible storm? I don't really know what to think. A lot of general model support but dang that's a lot of days out and I would be stunned for it to verify

Was thinking the same thing. Even the great winter of 2009-2010 we did not have this many negative lows here in the mountains. Seems like know this have been a regular occurrence. This morning was like our 6th negative temp this winter. Also very impressive number from all around the SE. Lookout that is very impressive for Atlanta.

For those curious, atlanta and athens are going to end the month around 6 degrees below normal. That is impressive.

same in the upstate. Just polling the folks at my office...everyone's energy bills doubled for this month.

Tough for the many folk on a fixed income. And they need more heat because of their ages. Sad

Sill encased in ICE here at ILM,,

29.2 °F

Feels Like 20 °F
Windchill
20 °F
Dew Point
24 °F
Wind
Speed / Dir
9.9 mph from NW
Wind Gust
14.9 mph

Interesting disco by Local NWS

Near term /through tonight/...
as of 10 am Thursday...menacing in terms of temperature trends
and sky forecasts...a delineated SW to NE band of 6kft stratus was
resulting in sunshine west of a line from Elizabethtown to
Whiteville to Kingstree...and a complete Grey overcast east of
this stretch. Very slow eastward progress anticipated with this
cloud canopy but a dry short-wave scooting across interior NC may
nudge the cloud back-edge farther east into the afternoon...yet
slowly.

Latest rapid-update hourly projections show temperatures warming to
39 degrees by 21z/4pm over the coastal interior but these refined
models do not take into account the ice sheets across area grounds
so we will retain a cooler bias on maximum temperatures today and undercut
most solutions. Deeper inland sunshine and ice pack will hold
temperatures in the middle and upper 30s this afternoon. Likewise
not much milder at the coast with clouds and ice cover. NE winds in
the afternoon however cloud bring coastal zones to around 40 with
relatively milder sea surface temperatures in the 40s.

Dangerous driving conditions to continue with just minor melting
expected...only to re-freeze overnight...extending the treachery
well into Friday morning. Special Weather Statement statement will be refreshed to
highlight the exceptionally perilous driving conditions tonight
through Friday morning.

Kltx VAD wind profile shows SW 20-30 knots winds in the cloud layer.
This afternoon and tonight time height plots depict isentropic Omega
being generated near the coast as h9-800 mb southerly winds develop over
the cooler sloped potential temperature surfaces in the lowest few
thousand feet. Vertical motions do appear robust or deep enough for
precipitation but a few cold sprinkles tonight are possible in mainly the
early evening...with forecast soundings indicating enough warming
aloft that any sprinkles should remain mostly liquid at the coast
and it remains too dry inland for any precipitation potential.

&&

Short term /Friday through Saturday night/...
as of 245 am Thursday...a broad southwest flow will develop and
persist at the middle levels through the period. At the
surface...one final area of low pressure will move off to the
northeast well offshore with basically weak high pressure setting
up shop across the eastern Carolinas. The only real issue or
issues will be the lingering processing of frozen precipitation
Friday and its impact on high temperatures. For Saturday
morning...there could be a significant fog event as well...as
soundings show ideal radiational cooling profiles. The ground...at
least wet if not still not having some ice will provide the low
level moisture. As for Friday...will opt for the cooler met
numbers and follow these through the period.

&&

7 degrees was the low last night at the airport. I think that makes threes single digit readings for January. We hadn't recorded one since 2005 until this month.

And the impressive part is that these cold readings have come from 3 different arctic air masses.  I don't know how long it's been since that has happened.

I just don't understand why areas like Rome and Carrrollton were at 0 or below while areas like Atlanta and eastward were much warmer. Didn't they have snowpack too ?

A couple of reasons:

1) The cold air really built in more westward this time. I got down to 7 last night here NE of Atlanta, but am also in a real good radiational cooling spot. But on Tuesday, as the snow was falling, I got up to 37 while all of metro Atl was in the mid 20's just 30 miles SW of me. The lee side eddy really kept the arctic air at bay for a while.

2) Radiational cooling can result in wide temp differences in just short differences. This has always fascinated me.

I did see several 3, 4 and 5 degree readings elsewhere, though. Peachtree City got down to 2 and even around Conyers I saw several temps below 5. So it wasn't THAT much colder in Rome, Carrolton and points west overall. Again, just really depended on the normal radiational cooling factors.

Archived