joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished right at 2".  It's great to finally see some accumulating snow after 3 years.  I'm a little disappointed due to my expectations were for higher amounts but I'll take it.  Of course the heavier band set up 30/40 miles to my east.

Looks like you and myself stayed in the same zone all night. I'm NE of you and that's how the bands were running. Talked to my uncle in Durham and he got a little more than an inch.

Looks like you and myself stayed in the same zone all night. I'm NE of you and that's how the bands were running. Talked to my uncle in Durham and he got a little more than an inch.

Yeah, I could tell on the radar early that we were going to be a touch too far west.

About 6" of fine white powder here in Wilson.  Not the most accurate measurement as I can't find my snow boots so I'm only checking the back deck in a few spots, but it seems that's gonna be the average.  We got lucky...no ice issues, just straight snow, while only a few miles east had sleet half the night - my parents in Falkland think they had probably an inch or so of IP with a couple of inches of snow on top but dad hasn't been out to measure yet.  They live right on a pretty busy highway for their area (43) and said it's just a skating rink out there. 

Glad you got some Burger. You scored more than I in MBY.

Final report of around 1/4" IMBY..

It was fun. I know a lot of folks on here will cry bust and make a bunch of dumb statements bout how horrible it was (which is justified for those in CHS, SAV, etc...). Let's just remember something, it was 19 and snowing. It was the finest driest snow I've ever seen here and that in it self was pretty awesome. Not to mention all the fun and excitement of tracking the storm. Some people need to remember to just enjoy what you get. Still better than the winter of 2012 even if you just got a dusting. 

It was fun. I know a lot of folks on here will cry bust and make a bunch of dumb statements bout how horrible it was (which is justified for those in CHS, SAV, etc...). Let's just remember something, it was 19 and snowing. It was the finest driest snow I've ever seen here and that in it self was pretty awesome. Not to mention all the fun and excitement of tracking the storm. Some people need to remember to just enjoy what you get. Still better than the winter of 2012 even if you just got a dusting.

:clap: :clap:

It was both a bust and a lot of fun. No sense complaining too much. Just enjoy it. It might be another 3 years before the next light snow event. :)

Morning folks...

ILM reporting in...

Had a Warm nose/overrunning Battle  overhead,, during the whole event...

I'm happily, taking what Ole Ma Nature dished out, just like I said I would, 1 to 3" and be happy with it   :cry:   <_<  

SLEET, IP, FREEZING RAIN ALL NIGHT, MIXED WITH very light "grainy" SNOW...

Frozen concrete about 2" thick.... coating the ground and Road surfaces, yards etc...

Very light fine SNOW just ending...

Overcast...

Temperature
20.8 °F
Feels Like 8 °F

Windchill
8 °F
Dew Point
21 °F

Wind Speed / Dir
14.4 mph from NW
Wind Gust
20.6 mph
a few pictures from Wilmington... 
My Dog *Genesis*, he's a Black as coal; ** CHOW,** is loving this, His first glimpse of Winter Weather,(He's is 1-1/2 years Old),,, SNOW much less, He's Lovin it , He's like WFT?! are you doing standing in the road, dude??? 

post-2767-0-81619100-1391000736_thumb.jp

post-2767-0-59979500-1391000746_thumb.jp

post-2767-0-31438100-1391000763_thumb.jp

About 6" of fine white powder here in Wilson.  Not the most accurate measurement as I can't find my snow boots so I'm only checking the back deck in a few spots, but it seems that's gonna be the average.  We got lucky...no ice issues, just straight snow, while only a few miles east had sleet half the night - my parents in Falkland think they had probably an inch or so of IP with a couple of inches of snow on top but dad hasn't been out to measure yet.  They live right on a pretty busy highway for their area (43) and said it's just a skating rink out there. 

What's your yearly total now 9-10? You guys in northern coastal plain have almost doubled your annual average.

MBY isn't quite an inch. Average 8.5+ a year and have had 2, 1.5, 1 over the past 3 years. Maybe we can get lucky one more time in FEB and break the trend.

Pretty incredible how much colder west ga is vs eastern ga and the upstate. Between clouds and a lack of cold air advection in the low levels last night (no wind and still no wind)  I have thick cloud cover here with a temp of 23..while it's between 9 and 13 over and around atlanta

Ton of sleet accumulation here on James Island. Just woke up too. Most I have ever seen here.

yeah I think more sleet fell than ice accretions fortunately.  This storm was one of those that P-Types were clearly dictated by rates.  heavier rates, sleet fell last night.   this morning, heavier rates changed the sleet to snow, then as it was lightening up, back to sleet

Archived