joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a brutal situation in Atlanta...it's hard to describe just how bad this is...you just wouldn't think 2-3 inches would shut down a city like this. You'd think there were a major disaster that happened with people walking out of their cars and leaving them...People are desperate to find shelter...hotels are booked to the brim.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/397839673695382/ this group alone on facebook tells the situation. It grew from 200 members to over 7000 today alone...Grim news. 

Yeah. Hate to be morbid, but I'm expecting stories in the morning of fatalities due to exposure. What a cluster.

Got about 1.25 inches or so, snowing a good clip just not adding up very fast. 17.4

Funny just stepped out and that's exactly what I got. Still coming down hard, but it those small flakes. There are some heaver returns showing up to the SW but it's real hard to judge where their going; they seem to develop, dissipate, and then redevelop somewhere else.

Very disapointed as I saw totals drop throughout the day. Snowing to my west, east and south none here in Florence proper just sleet.

Join the crowd, although you will likely change over towards the tail end for a good 2, maybe 4" of dendrites.  UL trough axis has broken containment over the Apps and I expect returns to increase along and east of a Danville to Greensboro to Columbia line over the next couple hours as the jets sharpen.  This will help in filling in the back edge, and I do expect these returns to take on the more classic banding signature, as opposed to the constant influx the 95 corridor in SC and NC is seeing now, hit or miss type deal.

post-382-0-36957400-1390966790_thumb.jpg

valid 2215 est

This is a brutal situation in Atlanta...it's hard to describe just how bad this is...you just wouldn't think 2-3 inches would shut down a city like this. You'd think there were a major disaster that happened with people walking out of their cars and leaving them...People are desperate to find shelter...hotels are booked to the brim.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/397839673695382/ this group alone on facebook tells the situation. It grew from 200 members to over 7000 today alone...Grim news. 

OMG. Blessings and Godspeed to all those stranded. Lokah samastah sukhino bhavantu.

Yeah. Hate to be morbid, but I'm expecting stories in the morning of fatalities due to exposure. What a cluster.

The ONLY reason this isn't national frontline news is because of the State of the Union address.

Here's one quote that just breaks my heart...

Have a family friend with a 9 month old baby that hasn't had food in 8 hrs off of old canton and Terrell mill...can someone please walk and give them food??? There are many homes nearby and they aren't moving really

My dad is around Moores Hill...running out of gas and without food or water. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The problem is also that Atlanta is a very hilly city due to being on the foothills/Piedmont of the Appalachian so the ice on the roads mean people can't get up hills.

I guess I live so far away that I don't understand. Do they get so many false alarms that the public doesn't prepare for events? Things like having no food sound like they had absolutely no knowledge of the event. 

I can't speak for ATL residents, but CLT has a majority who are jaded by busted forecasts and hardly take any weather warning seriously.  I have literally heard audio of someone calling a news station complaining about them running coverage for severe weather during a regularly scheduled program.  I really think this ATL coverage needs it's own thread as it's clogging up the other ones for the storm.

Funny just stepped out and that's exactly what I got. Still coming down hard, but it those small flakes. There are some heaver returns showing up to the SW but it's real hard to judge where their going; they seem to develop, dissipate, and then redevelop somewhere else.

Same experience here, though it's actually coming down at a good clip now. It looks like fog out there, but the flakes remain small. I think we have over an inch now, depending on which part of the apartment complex you happen to be standing in. My part, naturally, has the lower totals.

The ONLY reason this isn't national frontline news is because of the State of the Union address.

Here's one quote that just breaks my heart...

The problem is also that Atlanta is a very hilly city due to being on the foothills/Piedmont of the Appalachian so the ice on the roads mean people can't get up hills.

This is really disheartening. I hope people help out.

Join the crowd, although you will likely change over towards the tail end for a good 2, maybe 4" of dendrites.  UL trough axis has broken containment over the Apps and I expect returns to increase along and east of a Danville to Greensboro to Columbia line over the next couple hours as the jets sharpen.  This will help in filling in the back edge, and I do expect these returns to take on the more classic banding signature, as opposed to the constant influx the 95 corridor in SC and NC is seeing now, hit or miss type deal.

attachicon.gifwv4.JPG

valid 2215 est

Interesting! Thanks! :)

Be careful! This is still another example that really bad ice storms can occur right at 32!

yeah.  it's been right around 31-32 here and have about .2" ice accretion, then add about .2" of sleet in that very heavy burst earlier.  right now, light ZR, heavier rates changes it to sleet

Sleet and ZR right now, snowing just up the road about 3 miles from here in Lincolnville 

I guess I live so far away that I don't understand. Do they get so many false alarms that the public doesn't prepare for events? Things like having no food sound like they had absolutely no knowledge of the event. 

It just doesn't happen often enough,  People forget, forecasts aren't always accurate.  New administrations run things.  No one want to spend the millions to pretreat roads when there may be nothing to happen.  In Atlanta if folks would just take charge of their own well being, and stay home from work if it's threatening, or tell the boss I'm leaving when it's time.  But of course no one does, because it probably won't snow.  It rarely does, and usually at night.  It's the daytime that gets folks, because like lemmings they rush off to work, or expect it to all be on the southside, and whammo.  Atlanta gets new people all the time.  People that come from snowy areas with no hills.  They think they can drive in it.  They can't.  And it happens every time a storm hits in the daytime.  And will keep on happening.  It's human nature.  When it happens again in 20 years there will be a new batch of lemmings to suffer all over again.  Atlanta is a city of hllls.  It ought to be written on billboards as you come in to town.  That, and we don't pretreat  all our hilly roads before storms.  That says it all.  T

^ pretreatment isn't the answer for something like this. Brine simply doesn't work when the temp drops below 25. It's fine for the typical marginal events we normally have in this part of the country, but for really cold weather other chemicals need to be added (usually beet juice or calcium chloride).

Yep, you shocked? Atleast in the triangle.

I am. I thought the radar looked good over there. I was jealous when I saw it but if it's those same tiny fairy dust flakes, i can see why. hell I've been sitting here jealous of the heavy returns over central ga and sc. (where it is snow). It almost made it back here but got one county away and turned around. I figured some places were getting as much snow in one hour as I did in 8 or 9 hours.

Archived