joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

where are you guys getting your news/reports for atlanta?

Channel 11 is on Channel 36 here in ATL tonight since the almighty is on the main channel.

I cannot explain how bad the situation is here.  I am hearing that the National Guard is going to be deployed by the Governor.  He is calling a press conference now.

Channel 11 is on Channel 36 here in ATL tonight since the almighty is on the main channel.

I cannot explain how bad the situation is here.  I am hearing that the National Guard is going to be deployed by the Governor.  He is calling a press conference now.

Wow, the national guard, huh?  I'm not making light of the situation, but man, for about 2.5" of snow.  Incredible.  Imagine if we really did have a serious disaster here.  What the heck would it be like?  I feel like I'd need to be one of those Doomsday Prepper people just to survive!!!!

Wow, the national guard, huh?  I'm not making light of the situation, but man, for about 2.5" of snow.  Incredible.  Imagine if we really did have a serious disaster here.  What the heck would it be like?  I feel like I'd need to be one of those Doomsday Prepper people just to survive!!!!

It's like January 2005 was in Raleigh. Bad timing and a cold snow. Everyone got on the roads at once and it led to a massive traffic jam. It's more of a logistics problem than a true weather problem.

Power has flickered here 5 times in last 20 minutes. Heavy freezing rain in most of the area right now.

Same here, I was on the phone with downeast when it happened, twice.  Greenville Utilities took an interruption to the grid.  I told him right when it happened someone took out a power pole, then it happened again.  Painful to wait for the changeover, I talked to one of our Chief Mets here in the east a little bit ago and one of their in house models changed Fountain over at 9, and Greenville at midnight, that flipping close.  Healthy slug of moisture inbound from the Lumberton area, my fear is that is will be mainly sleet.  I have a solid half inch of IP on the driveway, light glaze on the Sassafras tree out front, wind is starting to pick up too.

Same here, I was on the phone with downeast when it happened, twice.  Greenville Utilities took an interruption to the grid.  I told him right when it happened someone took out a power pole, then it happened again.  Painful to wait for the changeover, I talked to one of our Chief Mets here in the east a little bit ago and one of their in house models changed Fountain over at 9, and Greenville at midnight, that flipping close.  Healthy slug of moisture inbound from the Lumberton area, my fear is that is will be mainly sleet.  I have a solid half inch of IP on the driveway, light glaze on the Sassafras tree out front, wind is starting to pick up too.

Notice the snow/sleet line going from a west to east orientation to a more north to south that's usually a sign its getting ready to come east or has been in the past.....

here in bama some things could be known before the snow began, that the ground was VERY cold unusually cold, so unlike the normal snow that a good bit melts before it sticks, EVERY flake would stick IF it snowed.....the air temperature well below freezing easily known.....that the models were trending north was known 48 hours in advance.......so the conditions that should have been known north of bham were as above and that the snow line was close was known, and not even an advisory was given by the nws, and the local mets were VERY confident of NO road problems, so the people ventured out as normal.

the confidence in the BAD forecast was striking.

All the major bridges in Mt. Pleasant area shut down. Ravenel, Don Holt, IOP connector, Ben Sawyer. IOP and Sullivan's Island cut off from outside world now.

Thanks for reporting from your rather remote island location. Its interesting to follow the situation along the coast. I hope your power doesn't go out.

Great points lookout.  Models did show around 2" of snow for ATL...I know its always hard forecasting snow, especially in the SE, but I can always say....I WILL make my own forecast and not just show what models put out.  I believe that is chicken shiz....The mets do it around here. If I bust, I bust...I don't like to at all, but at least it was MY forecast...if that makes sense...

Good for you.

ALL to often now meteorologist's forecast are based on a blend of the latest computer models !

I have no problems using the tools in hand to make a forecast including but not limited too a blend of the models.

Here in the Western Carolinas and NE Ga we had a meteorologist by the name of Charlie Gertz (4 WYFF NBC ) back in the late 70's till early to mid 90's. The guy was a wiz ! He successfully predicted the 88 Western Carolina & NE GA blizzard a full 2 weeks out, and he continued to forecast it till the day of the storm ! 

Back then you had to use more than a blend of the newest models,

He has since past away but he knew our region and wasn't afraid to go out on a limb !

So kudos to you SIR !

here in bama some things could be known before the snow began, that the ground was VERY cold unusually cold, so unlike the normal snow that a good bit melts before it sticks, EVERY flake would stick IF it snowed.....the air temperature well below freezing easily known.....that the models were trending north was known 48 hours in advance.......so the conditions that should have been known north of bham were as above and that the snow line was close was known, and not even an advisory was given by the nws, and the local mets were VERY confident of NO road problems, so the people ventured out as normal.

the confidence in the BAD forecast was striking.

I watched James Spann fall on the sword numerous times this afternoon; it was striking.  Doubt DOT here will do that; they're now blaming the tractor trailers for jackknifing.. 

It's been cold here in Atl also so they should've known some places it would stick immediately..

Final total for me here in FFC is 2.3 inches. 8 spots on deck and around yard...averaged. Its going to be a very pretty morning. I was hoping for 3-4 but happy we had snow at all!!!!

Nevertheless, this was Atlanta's biggest snowfall since 1/9-20/2011 when 4.4" fell and biggest daily snowfall since 1/9/2011 when 3.7" accumulated.

It looks like the back edge is holding steady just east of GSO. RAP indicates it may move westward at times overnight before finally heading east around 1-2 AM.

yep rap is looking pretty good on the radar evolution. i'm not sure we'll anywhere close to the .8 it was showing this morning. probably half that.

Archived