• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

I know what you mean, we went out in it this afternoon and it was incredibly dry and powdery.  I'm not the Georgia statistician or anything, but I can't remember the last time we had a (somewhat) major snow around Atlanta with temps at 21 to 24 degrees.  It's usually in the lower 30's and maybe down into the upper 20's.  On that note, the local news here is unreal.  All the interstates are a total disaster.  I'm afraid some of the people out there could possibly be stuck all night.  Temps are already close to dropping into the teens!

I've got channel 2 on right now, apparently it's quite the disaster on all the major interstates down there right now.  There may be people stuck for hours.  It's not a good situation if anyone is running low on gas.

had a couple of friends text to turn on the news (channel 2) for coverage. one was in the traffic mess and is at a crawl and in the car about 90 min.  that is just complete gridlock - nothing seems to be moving on the highways, for as far as you can see. some of the info at the bottom is sort of funny "dont go on paces ferry (i think). Seriously. Don't"  unreal

its 22 here and the roads are crunchy icy and snow covered, so it may get worse since the traffic isnt moving and all that on the roadways freezes.

radar isnt showing anything but still light snow fall (not really the accumulating type though)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, flake size is increasing some now and rates are picking up again. :)

i guess i should have said "bigger" flakes :blink:  .. looks like back edge is approaching quickly however

Cant believe how much accums were wasted with powder earlier today. Only served to make the roads treacherous but the sledding is great! It packs tight.

true ... but we got morethan i was expecting ... plus this was a kind of snow we don't get to experience too often ... i like it :)

had a couple of friends text to turn on the news (channel 2) for coverage. one was in the traffic mess and is at a crawl and in the car about 90 min. that is just complete gridlock - nothing seems to be moving on the highways, for as far as you can see. some of the info at the bottom is sort of funny "dont go on paces ferry (i think). Seriously. Don't" unreal

its 22 here and the roads are crunchy icy and snow covered, so it may get worse since the traffic isnt moving and all that on the roadways freezes.

radar isnt showing anything but still light snow fall (not really the accumulating type though)

My dads been stuck just off 400 in Alpharetta because no one is able to get up a hill, really a tough situation since its impossible to get the roads cleared with the gridlock.

How much snow do you think we have left?  The back edge is a little too close for comfort, but it's not moving too fast.

I want to eclipse 2"!

I was thinking we wouldn't get much more BUT it's really coming down now and the radar basically shows nothing over me. I prob have ~2" now .....I think 3" would be the most we could dream for right now....

Definitely looks like best lift/radar coverage is goiing to be from Wake County eastward in the Triangle, particularly US-1. Shouldnt be too surprised most guidance, except some RAP runs today, have constantly shoed that the case. Thinking I (Youngsville down to Wake Forest to RDU airport)are more in line for 2-4 inches. With eastern half of Wake County, more like 4-7.

I bet we are right on the line. If it stays like this all night we might get close to 6, especially if one of those bands that WxSouth was talking about comes through. I can't believe how much is covered now with just this very light snow we have had for about 2 hours.

I was thinking we wouldn't get much more BUT it's really coming down now and the radar basically shows nothing over me. I prob have ~2" now .....I think 3" would be the most we could dream for right now....

Yeah, sounds good.  I haven't taken a measurement yet, but I might be around 2" here, too.  I'll take a measurement in a bit.  During the afternoon, we seemed to get quite a bit of light snow without much showing up on radar.

Check out this (live) Georgia DOT traffic cam in Atlanta.  Yikes.

svn6.jpg

Sleeting its tail off here snow line so close and moving so slowly but looking downstream it seems QPF going to be higher than modeled there is a ton left to come this way, calling for snow till mid day tomorrow now hopefully switchover here by 10-12 then have 8 hrs of good snow still think 6-10" is doable.

Roads are covered here (Buies Creek), the accumulation is hard to scrape off with my shoe, seriously this stuff is STICKY. Awesome for some school cancellations tomorrow and probably Thursday, terrible for driving.

Closing in on an inch of very powdery snow here in Wilson.  Started around 5 p.m. (no sleet or rain before) and has been very light, but flakes are gradually getting larger.  Haven't checked the radar but hoping some heavier bands will come through soon.  Streets are completely covered and the folks who don't normally get to ride their 4-wheelers here in town are having a heyday with it :sled:

That Atlanta traffic map is gonna be legendary after this storm. This evening will probably be known as Snowjam '14 just like in '82. The live coverage here is actual television entertainment. My wife's uncle left the Howell Mill Rd/Northside Dr area to get home in Sandy Springs at 1:00.....as of 7:00 PM he was still not home!!

Per the post above... people in Birmingham and Atlanta have been in their cars 8+ hours and are running out of gas and are stuck on the interstate.

One of my employees had to walk 10 minutes to his house in Alpharetta.  Had to leave his car on the side of the road.

post-1314-0-39868900-1390958845_thumb.jp

Down to flurries now in kernersville. Radar is dead now so that back edge is coming to gso soon. Sorry!

Measuring just barely 2 inches here on south side of FFC.  Awesome to get snow, but no real big deal IMHO.  Snow still really light. Saw nothing more than that all day.  I doubt we see anyone with more than 3 officially. Never saw the rates on radar to give anyone a real shot at that anywhere around the metro area at least.

The real story around ATL tonight and into tomorrow is going to be the traffic and school related nightmares that are ongoing. Most if not ALL the main interstates and secondary roads are completely gridlocked. Service and treatment vehicles are caught in the jams and cannot get to where they are needed. Roads are in horrible shape most places. The roads did not go downhill until this afternoon really as most surfaces were still warm(from last two days of torch) and they stayed wet with little accumulation until 3 or 4 oclock.

Now after sundown its all turning into Ice and the traffic cams around ATL are telling the story. You are either in gridlock and can barely move or the roads are deserted because of trucks jacknifed and vehicles all over the shoulders etc. Its a giant mess. I think that as the night goes on a lot of folks are going to run out of gas and they will leave their vehicles....its already started. Lots of students of many schools are either remaining at school overnight or are trapped in buses trapped in traffic. I do not recall seeing anything this bad in the last few big snow events of the last 20 years. Even the 93 Superstorm didnt result in this traffic situation unfolding.

This will be the legacy of this storm in ATL. Hopefully it does not end up being tragic. Folks just did not appear to think this through.

To be fair, none of the forecasters were willing to go out on a limb and really commit to saying this would be bad in ATL.  All we really heard from mainstream media was "south of Atlanta".  And the major online web forecasts said stupid stuff like "30% chance of snow flurries in the afternoon".  So based on what little they were hearing yesterday, employers weren't willing to close and schools weren't willing to close.

Once it started falling this morning a little after 10am, within an hour it was obvious (at least to us north of the city) that we were going to get a lot more precip than was forecast, and the schools decided to close (Cherokee announced at 11am).  By then it was too late.  Roads were getting bad up here by early afternoon.  Buses were getting delayed and stuck by 1pm.  Superintendent stopped all buses around 2pm and any kids still waiting on a bus, are still at school hoping a parent can get there somehow.

For those of you who do not live in Atlanta, if you want to see something scary, go out to maps.google.com, zoom in on the Atlanta suburbs north of 285, and look at the sea of red on virtually every surface road in addition to the freeways.  Those are all people with smart phones sending GPS locs to google, who are sitting still.  For bonus fun, check out the traffic cameras on the interstates.

Here in NE Cherokee, I got 3" measured imby, current temp is 17.

Per the post above... people in Birmingham and Atlanta have been in their cars 8+ hours and are running out of gas and are stuck on the interstate.

One of my employees had to walk 10 minutes to his house in Alpharetta.  Had to leave his car on the side of the road.

Running out of gas tonight may be areal danger for a lot of people tonight....they just had a live shot of I-75 at Delk Rd......it looked like a scene from The Walking Dead without the zombies! This is unreal.

Seymour Johnson has likely changed over, -SN with 0.75 vis as of the last ob, could be a good sign for a switch here in the next hour or so (fingers crossed).  ~1/3" IP on the driveway.  Wife just got home and she said 264 west of Greenville was bad, and this is a heavily treated road.  DOT can plow snow, much harder to scrape a half inch of ice off the surface.  

Seymour Johnson has likely changed over, -SN with 0.75 vis as of the last ob, could be a good sign for a switch here in the next hour or so (fingers crossed).  ~1/3" IP on the driveway.  Wife just got home and she said 264 west of Greenville was bad, and this is a heavily treated road.  DOT can plow snow, much harder to scrape a half inch of ice off the surface.  

hopefully we change by 9-10 we wanna cash in on that nice cooling cloud streak pointed right at us lol, I got 1" of sleet by now.

Archived