• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

I agree with everything said here.....the thing is until the average person pays any bit of attention to weather, things like this will still continue to happen.  Just like with every EF-5 tornado, you still get the interviews with people who said it hit their house with no warning and you sit there and wonder how that could be?  Would better warnings help....how could they not have ANY IDEA this could happen?  The only thing that would prevent a day like this here is if at LEAST 24 hours in advance all the local media said...."do not got out, close everything, emergency situation".  I truly believe that's what it would take to avoid this.  Too many people are truly clueless about weather to avoid this and schools and businesses are not going to go out on a limb unless there is proof positive.

OT, and sorry, but think of how many complain about the local news stations blasting weather coverage all the time.  I see it constantly with my friends, it's like a running joke to them, but they have no clue what goes into a forecast, how models can be so finiky, the potential for busts being so high, etc.  They are ignorant to the topic and science that goes along with it and since they see it as having no big effect on their lives they remain in the dark.  If the average person cared enough to learn and educate themselves on the things that have a true effect on how they live their life and as how to prepare ahead of time or know what to do leading up to as well as during a weather event for this example, then we wouldn't see what is happening in ATL right now.  End rant and I'm sorry in adcance.  As for an OBS, my mother said they have an 1-2" in northeastern Catawba County an hour or two ago.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The RAP keeps it snowing here for another four hours.  I don't know, man, maybe it will happen.  Not sure if I buy it, but I'd love it.

Here in Denton it's snowing harder now with no radar returns then it was the previous 5 hours with radar returns.

You'd think a blizzard happened in Atlanta dropping 2 feet of snow. Maybe it's a GOOD thing Atlanta has never had blockbuster storms that drop over a foot of snow...just imagine...It would be over...Jan 2011 shut down the city for 3-4 days alone and that was about 4-6 inches of snow/ice.

I'm by no means an expert on this, but I lived in Dallas, GA for 8 years.  I think the real issue besides the timing was the air temperatures at the time of the snow.  It is very rare to have temps around 20 degrees with snow in Atlanta.  So when the dry powdery snow fell to the roads, it stuck right in place.  Then when you have heavy traffic compounding that snow down into a half-inch of solid ice, it turns into a nightmare.  I only say this because it happened once back in 2010 when I lived out there.  I was out at a bar and it was in the low 20s at the time.  When we came out there was a fresh inch of powder on the roads and it was every bit as bad as a ice from an ice-storm, if not worse because this doesn't crack when you walk on it, it compacts harder and harder like a heavily traveled ski slope.  

The snow has pretty much stopped. We got more than I thought we would, so I'm happy. I haven't been out to measure. I had to leave my car at the top of my neighborhood and walk home because we have a huge hill that I wasn't going to attempt going down. Traffic was horrible around 5pm. Glad that's over with!

Yeah the weenie in me wants to believe it.haha

The RAP keeps it snowing here for another four hours.  I don't know, man, maybe it will happen.  Not sure if I buy it, but I'd love it.

It might be true. Radar is having a hard time with the moisture but appears some intensifcation over eastern Person County. Then looking at Blacksburg you can see some interaction with the band coming in from the mountains. So the pixie dust may just fly for a few more hours.

where are you guys getting your news/reports for atlanta?

I was watching local coverage; 11alive.com and cbsatlanta.com are two network stations.

511ga.org is the traffic

ajc.com has some stuff

and my wife's facebook friends who've been out there for hours; my daughter-in-law took over 4 hours to go 5 miles earlier..

RAP showed continued light snow (the pixie dust i have seen reference to lol) for a while and it is still coming down.  its down to 20 here and we are socked in (it is gorgeous though!)

ATL is a flipping mess right now, currently watching a live feed for entertainment, going to be bumper cars for the morning commute, folks trying to avoid all the vehicles that are hap hazardly parked along the belts.  Whole state of GA minus 4 counties is under a winter storm warning, most of us will likely not see that coverage again in our lifetimes.  Still plinking here...  :ee:

you never know. i was pretty young but do remember snowjam 82, not the details per se only that it came in fast, hard and people were stuck, sliding off road, abandoning cars, etc. just like this one.

btw i am in one the "non warning" counties - it doesnt really matter to me with 2.6" lol.  however, we are under the GSP office, not FFC, and the criteria is a bit different.  atl area is i think 3" for a warning,, we are usually 4" (tend to get snow when lower elevations dont, not that i am that high up lol).  we got the same amount as most others 2-3" its just didnt quite hit the "warning" thresh hold.  if we were under FFC i imagine we would also have been in the wsw

About the bold, I watched closely last night/early this morning to see if any of the forecasters had any guts to say "hey it might snow more than what we are showing tomorrow" but not a single one did. Not ken cook, surely not glen f'n burns, or anyone on 46 and 11. As usual, all they did was copy and paste what the nws is forecasting..virtually word for word..and of course follow their silly rpm model or whatever their crappy in house models show. It was frustrating at the time because we all knew that there was potential for more than a dusting north of town. I'm not saying they should have called for 2 to 4 inches or whatever but they could have AT LEAST pushed the idea that it COULD snow more than the half inch/dusting they were calling for and not just be robots (or parrots) with the forecast.

Like I said above though, what is especially troubling, if not just stupid, is ffc and the local mets went crazy the last 2 times there was a chance of rain ending as snow and advisories were issued. In the end, the roads weren't bad because the temps weren't that cold at first and they dried off before it did drop. In this case, the temps were way below freezing and common sense will tell you that there would be some melting and refreezing on the roads..even if there was a half inch. The inconsistency between the prior 2 events and this one does not make sense to me.

so true.  i guess common sense is a key word as you say. many times we go rain to snow, or even if it starts snow, is 34 or so and all melts and sticks on grass til the over night freeze.  after all this cold weather i figured the surfaces were primed.  as soon as the first few flakes started through the virga and i saw radar i made a bee line home :lol: lots of hills here and pretty steep drop offs

even .50" should have made sense it would stick pretty fast, esp on the overpasses and spaghetti junction like areas.  and with temps in the mid 20s it seems obvious.

anyone not know what we are talking about in atl you really need to check out the news from channel 2 it really is surreal for the 21st century

A lot of people are comparing this to the SnowJam of 1982 in Atlanta, but there's one very important thing you're missing. The metro was the size of Charlotte now. Now it's over 5.5Million and counting. Things are like are just unacceptable. We are not setting a good example for being the largest metro in the SE(not including Miami for obv. reasons).

The largest metro in the SE and home of the Weather Channel. Ouch.

Oh well. All rds are covered now.  Still painfully slow to accumulate. Still seeing grass. Maybe half an inch?

It might be true. Radar is having a hard time with the moisture but appears some intensifcation over eastern Person County. Then looking at Blacksburg you can see some interaction with the band coming in from the mountains. So the pixie dust may just fly for a few more hours.

would be great to keep it going all night. I want some of that 1 inch an hour snow.

Archived