joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About the same here. It's still snowing here just about as hard as it has all day.  Although I had serious issues with it falling apart right before getting here earlier today. It's the super dry variety...wind is blowing it off the house. Temp is 26.

As for the roads,  Governor has issued a state of emergency. They aren't sure who to blame for it. Some say the schools, some say the nws because  the nws/tv mets  because they hit home the point that most of the snow would fall south of atlanta and of course it didn't. Although the nws did say there would be some snow. I do believe they messed up by not issueing winter weather advisories further north because earlier this season they did so when it didn't look like it would snow for 30 minutes. Honestly, I think that part of it is a fair criticism. I'm not sure why they didn't at least issue an advisory for the northern half because the roads were clearly going to be icy even with just a half inch of snow because it was so damn cold.

it's pretty extraordinary to see the news coverage tonight..its' wall to wall as if it had snowed 2 feet. You will find a hard time seeing much worse traffic than what has happened today though.

I've been tied up all day today and I haven't had time to read this thread so if it was already posted, apologies. Just an unreal mess.

There will be a lot of follow up to this one.  Because yeah, they didn't issue a Winter Weather Warning until after I already had 1.5" imby and there were already road problems.  I don't know why in the world they waited.  All the "media mets" have been saying that it would be south of ATL and "middle GA".

I knew from reading here that things were very likely going to be worse than that up here.  But most people don't have time for weather boards, or have the interest, and so all they know is what the guy on the 11pm news or the morning radio show told them.  And he didn't tell them to stay home today. >.>

A lot of people are comparing this to the SnowJam of 1982 in Atlanta, but there's one very important thing you're missing. The metro was the size of Charlotte now. Now it's over 5.5Million and counting. Things are like are just unacceptable. We are not setting a good example for being the largest metro in the SE(not including Miami for obv. reasons).

Buddy in Morristown, TN for work says he has 5", man I hope tnweathernut and our old TN Valley friends are loving that little surprise!

Thanks WxKnurd, I have measured around 2.75 inches here in north JC.  The heavier banding with 3--5 inches were just off to my northwest.  Good snows were had even back west of Knoxville and we are all loving it.  I hope this one over performs for you guys on the other side of the "hill".  Best of luck to you all.  Robert (WxSouth) really nailed this forecast for the TN Valley, kudos go to him for a job well done.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will the moisture off the coast come inland enough to reach the triad later tonight?

Negative.  I think we're about done, but we did better than most expected.  I've probably got around 2"... I'll measure after the snow shuts off in a little while.

Radar shows nothing here, but snow continues to fall.  Is it snowing at all there still?

EDIT: You know, the RAP gives us close to another tenth of liquid, but I'm not sure I buy that.

Same thing hsppened in Raleigh in 2005. That's why they close the schools now when there is any chance of snow. Wake County was closed today even thought it didn't start until this evening. They'd rather be safe than sorry.

It would be nice if they would learn here, but they don't.  This isn't the first time a mid-day storm in ATL has wrecked traffic.  Took me 8 hours to get home during an afternoon freezing rain storm that created a bunch of black ice three years ago.  And I had to abandon my car and walk the last few miles.  Kids were stuck at our elementary school that night, too, because their parents couldn't get there.

Basically schools here do not close unless there's sufficient ice on the road to prevent the buses running in the morning.  If the stuff isn't already on the road, they will open, period.

To be fair, none of the forecasters were willing to go out on a limb and really commit to saying this would be bad in ATL.  All we really heard from mainstream media was "south of Atlanta".  And the major online web forecasts said stupid stuff like "30% chance of snow flurries in the afternoon".  So based on what little they were hearing yesterday, employers weren't willing to close and schools weren't willing to close.

Once it started falling this morning a little after 10am, within an hour it was obvious (at least to us north of the city) that we were going to get a lot more precip than was forecast, and the schools decided to close (Cherokee announced at 11am).  By then it was too late.  Roads were getting bad up here by early afternoon.  Buses were getting delayed and stuck by 1pm.  Superintendent stopped all buses around 2pm and any kids still waiting on a bus, are still at school hoping a parent can get there somehow.

This is exactly what happened here in Forsyth County.  And my husband left for home at 1pm (he had a lunch meeting in downtown Atlanta) and still isn't home.  He's been on the interstates and back roads this entire time, close to running out of gas.  I'm just thankful my kids made it home safely on the bus.

To be fair, none of the forecasters were willing to go out on a limb and really commit to saying this would be bad in ATL.  All we really heard from mainstream media was "south of Atlanta".  And the major online web forecasts said stupid stuff like "30% chance of snow flurries in the afternoon".  So based on what little they were hearing yesterday, employers weren't willing to close and schools weren't willing to close.

Once it started falling this morning a little after 10am, within an hour it was obvious (at least to us north of the city) that we were going to get a lot more precip than was forecast, and the schools decided to close (Cherokee announced at 11am).  By then it was too late.  Roads were getting bad up here by early afternoon.  Buses were getting delayed and stuck by 1pm.  Superintendent stopped all buses around 2pm and any kids still waiting on a bus, are still at school hoping a parent can get there somehow.

For those of you who do not live in Atlanta, if you want to see something scary, go out to maps.google.com, zoom in on the Atlanta suburbs north of 285, and look at the sea of red on virtually every surface road in addition to the freeways.  Those are all people with smart phones sending GPS locs to google, who are sitting still.  For bonus fun, check out the traffic cameras on the interstates.

Here in NE Cherokee, I got 3" measured imby, current temp is 17.

About the bold, I watched closely last night/early this morning to see if any of the forecasters had any guts to say "hey it might snow more than what we are showing tomorrow" but not a single one did. Not ken cook, surely not glen f'n burns, or anyone on 46 and 11. As usual, all they did was copy and paste what the nws is forecasting..virtually word for word..and of course follow their silly rpm model or whatever their crappy in house models show. It was frustrating at the time because we all knew that there was potential for more than a dusting north of town. I'm not saying they should have called for 2 to 4 inches or whatever but they could have AT LEAST pushed the idea that it COULD snow more than the half inch/dusting they were calling for and not just be robots (or parrots) with the forecast.

Like I said above though, what is especially troubling, if not just stupid, is ffc and the local mets went crazy the last 2 times there was a chance of rain ending as snow and advisories were issued. In the end, the roads weren't bad because the temps weren't that cold at first and they dried off before it did drop. In this case, the temps were way below freezing and common sense will tell you that there would be some melting and refreezing on the roads..even if there was a half inch. The inconsistency between the prior 2 events and this one does not make sense to me.

Yes, but the IP is going to cut down on accumulations, maybe by alot.  This is my rough thinking based on the way radar is shaping up, and taking into account what is downstream over GA.  Duplin, Bladen, Robinson, maybe Sampson is a tough call, but most areas north of there bounded by the red lines look good for 4-6", purple hatch is the best chance for 8-10".  This could be a little conservative for NE NC / SE VA, I still think we have a shot at 8" here at PGV, radar looks very good and several simulated mesoscale models indicate after this first wave, the main bulk of QPF comes through between midnight and 10am, which should be all SN with pretty good ratios.  Still mostly to all IP here, type has changed, no longer columns, they look like plates which is a step in the right direction.

attachicon.giftrends.JPG

Thanks for the in-depth review, I haven't seen you post too much but you have been pretty darn accurate so far. We still have maybe 8 hours left?

21 degrees and a constant sleet. The roads are completely white...tomorrow is going to be interesting.

Running out of gas tonight may be areal danger for a lot of people tonight....they just had a live shot of I-75 at Delk Rd......it looked like a scene from The Walking Dead without the zombies! This is unreal.

What in the world is up with Atlanta?

.13 so far in ice according to a retired nws employee's report   :weight_lift:

I'd almost trade you, if the roads are icy :)  I eked out 2 inches, but what do I do with it?  You can't sled on the roads as they are mostly clear, and you can't sled on the ground because the runners just go into the dirt.  It's pretty useless, lol.  Maybe tomorrow night when it's melted some, and then refrozen I can get a crust I can sled on.  I'm already looking for my sleet storm.  I know one is coming!!! :)  Tony

This is exactly what happened here in Forsyth County.  And my husband left for home at 1pm (he had a lunch meeting in downtown Atlanta) and still isn't home.  He's been on the interstates and back roads this entire time, close to running out of gas.  I'm just thankful my kids made it home safely on the bus.

I will keep your husband in my thoughts.  Mine is also on the road from downtown ATL and has been since 2:30.  He's still 24 miles away as of our last phone call about 15 minutes ago.  Thankfully he was able to pull off at a gas station about an hour ago and retop his tank.

It took my son's bus driver 1 hour to get him home, bless her heart.  (This is usually about a 12 minute trip from his school.)  By the time she got here there was close to 2" of snow on the road.  She was stopping every few houses to let the kids off, instead of having them walk from the normal stops, and literally going about 2 mph to the next stop.  I have to take her a thank you on Thursday, she was really focused on making sure the kids got home safe. 

A lot of the kids from his school didn't get to bus home, as the county re-uses buses from elementary to mid/high via staggered start/end times, and the buses were unable to finish their elementary routes safely before the superintendent stopped them completely.  So if a parent hasn't gotten to them they are still at school now.

What in the world is up with Atlanta?

It's really bad out there right now.....I don't know if WSB channel 2 streams live, but if so you need to check it out....all the interstates around the city look like they do at a bad rush hour and it's been like that since about 2:00PM.  The DOT here is freaking out since they can't get to anyone since the emergency lanes are mostly blocked as well.  Add to that many are starting to run out of gas.  Some of the live shots are ridiculous.  It's basically a traffic apocalypse right now.  A friend of mine who works downtown and lives about 20 miles north of downtown just started RUNNING home.....granted he runs marathons....but still.....it's 20 degrees now.

Couldn't have been any happier today. It's 14 with light to at times moderate snow. Eyeballing I'd say we easily have 1.5" that band that has overspread us from the west has been over performing thus far. Not sure if Disc did as good as me but that finger of snow that developed today did great.

A lot of people are comparing this to the SnowJam of 1982 in Atlanta, but there's one very important thing you're missing. The metro was the size of Charlotte now. Now it's over 5.5Million and counting. Things are like are just unacceptable. We are not setting a good example for being the largest metro in the SE(not including Miami for obv. reasons).

ATL is a flipping mess right now, currently watching a live feed for entertainment, going to be bumper cars for the morning commute, folks trying to avoid all the vehicles that are hap hazardly parked along the belts.  Whole state of GA minus 4 counties is under a winter storm warning, most of us will likely not see that coverage again in our lifetimes.  Still plinking here...  :ee:

post-382-0-20135300-1390960390_thumb.jpg

Seymour Johnson has likely changed over, -SN with 0.75 vis as of the last ob, could be a good sign for a switch here in the next hour or so (fingers crossed).  ~1/3" IP on the driveway.  Wife just got home and she said 264 west of Greenville was bad, and this is a heavily treated road.  DOT can plow snow, much harder to scrape a half inch of ice off the surface.

Still sleeting at about 2 miles ne of the base at Seymour Johnson AFB

Archived