joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This reminds me of a storm in the late 90's when the forecast for the NW Piedmont was calling for up to 10 inches of snow by evening and we ended up with only a trace. Started with some flurries and light snow in the morning and by noon we had a milky sky with the sun visible throughout the rest of the day. It wasn't until around 2pm that the accumulation forecasts started getting cut and by the 6pm newscast they were explaining how the cold dry air had won out. Based on that experience I would expect the initial round of snow seen in the NW Piedmont and Southern VA now to soon fade away as the cold air continues pushing South and that will be all she wrote. Time will tell.

I agree 100 percent I do not expect much at all.... really have already gotten more than I expected.

WV just keeps looking better and better.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GSSLOOPS/ecwv.html

The radar is really filling in nicely to the southwest of here

humidity creeping up in CLT...currently at 40% with 30 degrees and 7 dew point.  should start here soon based on the reports coming in from all around us

42-43% was the magic number here

That freezing line at 850 isn't moving... We're not going to get snow here in Columbus. And if we do, it'll be a few flakes. Major fail all around. :(

Candyman,

Do you really sense that it's going to be a fail from CSG over to MCN?  I'm about 30 miles south of MCN, so I know we won't see a changeover if they don't.  Our local NWS forecast says snow and sleet will become all snow after 10 p.m.  We're currently raining and 35.

BTW, what has kept the 850 line from moving?

Tell me there's some hope!

no, they probably get 2 to 4 just my guess? I am on the road working has any of the models showing any snow back in the Northern Foothills this evening?

The 19z RAP was a little better for your area. The radar looks very encouraging to me though.

Very disappointed that the HRRR is down right now. It handled our last event very well for my area.

Archived