1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank me later !

Glad to see everyone getting the goods.

Still 36 here and dry.

Green finger of precip pointing at me now though like my first grade teacher :)

Shack,

It's been a frustrating day watching the temperature actually go up a couple of degrees.  Not sure how it's all going to play out in the end, but the 2 to 4 inches that seemed fairly certain, is looking less likely.  Hope we can achieve a changeover in central Georgia while there is still some moderate precip. around.  Just a reminder that winter weather in Georgia is never a sure thing!

Congratulations to those who have overachieved!

Yeah, saw where El K was lamenting.  I'm  thinking when the bands move down the temps will with it.  I had rain for a good half hour earlier, before the snow grains started, and snow grains mean it's cold up there, so the bands are running hot and cold, or were, and you'll get the same when it works down to you.  Plus you get it for longer, lol.  Oh, and thanks for the extra inches, lol. 

I read a banned guy say he was seeing thunder snow in Ala.  There's some fireworks close by, and you're in that transition zone I love, where you could get pounded with sleet.  Lucky boy :)  T

There you go Tony! Nice avatar!  18F and snow and freezing fog.

Atlanta Athletic Club down the road from me @ 25.5.  We've got a nice dusting so far with light snow; warm temps yesterday kept some of the roads from being covered so far due to the light snow rates; however Atl traffic is a disaster, heavier rates down there and plenty of bridges/overpasses.

if snow has not started for you yet, here's what I would expect, from what I have seen, here in N. GA. it started out very light very small flakes.  the flakes are small but there are a LOT of them and they are just gently coming down very consistently.  we drove into town (5 minutes) and the roads were clear.  by the time we turned around and came home the roads already turning white.   its not a bunch of big flakes but what is falling is all sticking and covering the ground well.   looks like it could get really messy out there if the salt trucks can't keep up.  

Yeah, saw where El K was lamenting.  I'm  thinking when the bands move down the temps will with it.  I had rain for a good half hour earlier, before the snow grains started, and snow grains mean it's cold up there, so the bands are running hot and cold, or were, and you'll get the same when it works down to you.  Plus you get it for longer, lol.  Oh, and thanks for the extra inches, lol. 

I read a banned guy say he was seeing thunder snow in Ala.  There's some fireworks close by, and you're in that transition zone I love, where you could get pounded with sleet.  Lucky boy :)  T

Tony,

Saw your message after I posted mine.  Yeah, I've been lamenting a little bit as frozen precip seemed to be a good bet by this afternoon.  The recent heavier returns have lowered the temp a little, but we still have a ways to go.  Hard to believe that mid to upper 20's are not that far away.  Hopefully, we can get that cold air to stop oozing and kick it up a notch!  Congratulations on seeing some snow up your way (even though I know you prefer a good coating of IP!).

Hopefully tonight will be good for central Georgia.  I'm hoping Delta will drop by and post an update soon.

After a lot of rain, then one of the famous Griffin dry slots, I've had enough snow grains to call it a dusting out there.

How's things with the zr.  You still dreading it?  Or is it going to  be lighter? T

May the sleet be with you! It is still a "toasty" 43 (but slowly falling) here in SAV and overcast (no rain now) as we await to see how bad it really gets. The worst of it by far isn't expected til late afternoon and especially this evening and possibly later.  I'll be checking upstream in ILM, MYR, and CHS very carefully to see how it progresses. Although I'm worried, the scientist in me is, as you suggested, enjoying following it as it is potentially quite a historic event. For here, if it turns out as bad as feared, it would be the worst ZR in the city, itself, since 1922 based on many days of research to find this out! The two ways we get off lightly would be if the air comes in not as cold as projected (or delayed) or the precip. ends up lighter than expected obviously.

May the sleet be with you! It is still a "toasty" 43 (but slowly falling) here in SAV and overcast (no rain now) as we await to see how bad it really gets. The worst of it by far isn't expected til late afternoon and especially this evening and possibly later.  I'll be checking upstream in ILM, MYR, and CHS very carefully to see how it progresses. Although I'm worried, the scientist in me is, as you suggested, enjoying following it as it is potentially quite a historic event. For here, if it turns out as bad as feared, it would be the worst ZR in the city, itself, since 1922 based on many days of research to find this out! The two ways we get off lightly would be if the air comes in not as cold as projected or the precip. ends up lighter than expected obviously.

Larry. My Man.  Good call, amazing.  With this, and your call of last March, you are like a mythical hero. 

Edit: I hope you get a good dousing in Savannah!

Thanks! Took a drive up to tom camp road and back about 30 mins ago. West side of the county is obtaining the heavy returns first.

Picked up here in the last 15 mins. or so, ground is turning white, elevated surfaces are white already and pavement is wet.

On the GSP radar you can see just a hint of banding streaming in Rutherford from Polk

Seems like the heavier returns are staying south of the city. I don't think totals will come out very high in the northern Atlanta metro based on radars.

It's been snowing steadily here for 1-2 hours and accumulating fast. Totals are gonna be bigger than expected in north ga. Especially for me

Larry. My Man.  Good call, amazing.  With this, and your call of last March, you are like a mythical hero. 

Edit: I hope you get a good dousing in Savannah!

Thanks very much. Is this a repeat of snowjam 1982?? I was in the middle of that huge mess and swore to myself I'd never let that happen again! Is this a repeat 32 year later?

Maybe the wrong forum, but I can give you Western NC guys a downstream report. I have 0.75" here, it is still snowing, and the roads are an absolute disaster. Schools didn't cancel here, and the ensuing traffic nightmare is possibly the worst I've seen here. I had to abandon my car in a church parking lot near my house and walk the last mile.

Aaah! A southeast Tennessee interloper! You have your own forum now. ;)

I was in Chattanooga this past weekend visiting family. They hadn't a clue when I told them they should expect a little something today.

Archived