joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you ever seen temps in the upper tens with snow where you are? (not including post frontal flurries)

Other than flurries I cannot ever remember anything like it Chris. It's the kind of snow you would expect to see in the mountains out west but not here.

WSW just issued for 1 to 3 with localized heavier amounts.

Getting banded right now!

Lucky! We're currently getting our heaviest precip of the day so far now. Closing in on 1" atm.

I'm afraid of that lee side "shadow effect" later, though. Robert mentioned it (and made a map) on his FB page.

So far so good in the lee side... Fingers crossed :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "cold enough" air hasn't been able to make its way to central GA.  We've had light rain and dropped a couple of degrees, but we're still stuck in the mid to upper 30's.  The forecast for us has been a little bit of a bust so far.  We were certainly expecting at least mixed precip by now, but it's been all liquid so far. Hopefully, we can make up for it overnight.

Maybe Delta can chime in with an update.

It is 22 here and the low this morning was 21.

It started snowing at 10:45am.  It is very fine, light, dry powder but falling densely.  We are certainly going to exceed the trace-1" forecast.

For the first hour+ the pavement stayed completely dry, and the powder just blew around a bit.  However, now we are approaching what looks like close to an inch and the powder is now layering on the road (not melting, it's been cold enough for it not to melt on contact up here).  Ice patches are forming on 575, likely because the roadbed is warmer and the snow is melting on contact and then re-freezing I guess.  IDK.

There have been over 100 accidents in Cherokee County this morning since this started 3 hours ago.  I had to run an errand at 11am, just a few minutes after the snow started, and passed 2 accidents within 2 miles of my house, so fresh the police weren't there yet.  Both of them were single-car accidents involving pickup trucks.  The roads were dry at the time so I believe both were caused by distracted driving and over-correction - they both ran off the road and into trees.  The roads here are 2 lane, narrow, curvy with no real shoulder to speak of.

NWS has finally put us under a warning, but it's too late.  The roads are wrecked and a lot of schools and businesses that should have been closed today, were not... so accidents everywhere.

Archived