joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been snowing steadily here for 1-2 hours and accumulating fast. Totals are gonna be bigger than expected in north ga. Especially for me

Yeah, returns don't look that good but I have the heaviest snow of the event.  I guess since the column is truly saturated the more is making it to the ground with less of a radar signal?  

Thanks very much. Is this a repeat of snowjam 1982?? I was in the middle of that huge mess and swore to myself I'd never let that happen again! Is this a repeat 32 year later?

from what i have seen and read yes absolutely. many roads in atl covered and bumper to bumper. james spann tweeted he had to abandon his car and walk the rest of the way. birmingham to atl very slow (side note apparently its causing an overload on the cell towers lol)

edited to add: see pics above lol,  guessi should have finished first haha

Yeah, returns don't look that good but I have the heaviest snow of the event. I guess since the column is truly saturated the more is making it to the ground with less of a radar signal?

Idk but it hasn't let up. I'll easily finish with 2-3 unless something changes.

Yeah, returns don't look that good but I have the heaviest snow of the event.  I guess since the column is truly saturated the more is making it to the ground with less of a radar signal?  

You probably have great ratios now. The snow is becoming more and more dryer and powdery as the day wears on because of the cold air flowing in from the NW.

The flakes will start out small since the vast majority of the flakes has sublimated in order to moisten the atmosphere to allow for precipitation to reach the ground. As the atmosphere continues to moisten up, the flakes will get larger even as the reflectivity stays around the same or increases slowly. Remember reflectivity is a logarithmic scale so as the reflectivity increase, intensity of the echoes gets much greater. This should ramp up slowly but surely over the upstate, not that much unlike the 25 Dec 2010 snow event. 

The flakes will start out small since the vast majority of the flakes has sublimated in order to moisten the atmosphere to allow for precipitation to reach the ground. As the atmosphere continues to moisten up, the flakes will get larger even as the reflectivity stays around the same or increases slowly. Remember reflectivity is a logarithmic scale so as the reflectivity increase, intensity of the echoes gets much greater. This should ramp up slowly but surely over the upstate, not that much unlike the 25 Dec 2010 snow event. 

The flakes are still pretty small here and it's been snowing for a couple of hours now...they aren't the big fluffly type flakes I've seen in the marginal snowstorms. I always thought that was because of how dry the snow is. This isn't a wet snow by any stretch of imagination. Hmmm..

Tony,

Saw your message after I posted mine.  Yeah, I've been lamenting a little bit as frozen precip seemed to be a good bet by this afternoon.  The recent heavier returns have lowered the temp a little, but we still have a ways to go.  Hard to believe that mid to upper 20's are not that far away.  Hopefully, we can get that cold air to stop oozing and kick it up a notch!  Congratulations on seeing some snow up your way (even though I know you prefer a good coating of IP!).

Hopefully tonight will be good for central Georgia.  I'm hoping Delta will drop by and post an update soon.

Well, if it's any consolation, I'm seeing as many dry patches as snow patches.  I started with sleet at 8:20, and at 2:30 I maybe have a quarter inch.  And the streets are fine. So no big shakes here yet.  This area is cursed with dry slots every storm in winter, and most the rest of the year, lol.  Didn't used to be this way.  I expect it was something I did, lol.   But it could be we are getting shafted south of Atl in the end...........naaaaaaaaaaa...that'd be just too mean..to twist the kife like that, lol. 

Radar says I'm coming into a heavier band, so we'll see what a burst can put down.  Tony

Edit:  Oh, ok, so this is what the fuss was about.  Bigger flakes..looks like they'll do something.

Archived