• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 21 Event

Poimen

here's where the s/w max appears to be at 10:30 per WV. I think a general 1-3 across central/eastern NC is a good bet. more out towards newport news/ va beach/northeast nc due to coastal enhancement.

That's interesting.  It looks like the s/w is about 30-40 miles west and further south than the depictions on the RAP.  Don't know if it will translate to anything later.  Keep digging!!!

rap_namer_000_500_vort_ht.gif

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it interesting that so many of the short term models are bringing a significant line of precip. southeast from north of the triad down through the sandhills and curving through the coastal plain.  I guess its because of the clipper-system digging so much, but I don't think I've seen anything like this before.  Anyway, I'm starting to think James might be right with the idea of thundersnow putting down a quick 1/2-1 inch in a 15-30 minute time period this evening.  The returns being depicted are stronger than what they are showing for the midatlantic and we will be so much closer to the bundled energy.  Interesting at least.

RAP_255_2014012114_F13_PCPIN_12_HR.png

This would be amazing. Naturally, being in the Sandhills, this is the one I am hoping comes to fruition...

Although I do have to drive at 1AM tonight to pick up my girlfriend from work, so that may be a bit tricky...

This is turning into a much later event than I was expecting based on yesterdays guidance. I am in stuart va today and i was expecting cloudy, cold and a snow shower by noon. Instead i have sunny, no wind, and fairly tolerable temps in the high 30's. I see the showers on radar to the NW but they have been stuck there for hours. Really hoping the models are not overdoing the southern trajectory!

here's where the s/w max appears to be at 10:30 per WV. I think a general 1-3 across central/eastern NC is a good bet. more out towards newport news/ va beach/northeast nc due to coastal enhancement.

That looks about right.

In fact looking at the loop it appears to be tightening up some so may not be diving too much more before making a turn to the east.

This is turning into a much later event than I was expecting based on yesterdays guidance. I am in stuart va today and i was expecting cloudy, cold and a snow shower by noon. Instead i have sunny, no wind, and fairly tolerable temps in the high 30's. I see the showers on radar to the NW but they have been stuck there for hours. Really hoping the models are not overdoing the southern trajectory!

Yep, I'm 15mi to your E and this was certainly not what I was expecting. Very poorly modeled thus far. It's behaving like a textbook clipper and nothing more.

That's interesting.  It looks like the s/w is about 30-40 miles west and further south than the depictions on the RAP.  Don't know if it will translate to anything later.  Keep digging!!!

rap_namer_000_500_vort_ht.gif

That appears to be the trend since last night. It's a good trend, ideally for clippers, we want it to be in central/northern SC, if you're in NC.

Hky is there any hope left for the western piedmont?? Hickory Shelby Lincolnton?? Thanks

I'm not HkyWx, but I do live there.  I think we're pretty much guaranteed to be on the outside looking in on this event.  Our only hope would be for the shortwave to dig much deeper than currently modeled and go negative tilt or something.  Basically, we need the impossible to occur.  Thus, keep expecting nothing; then, anything that does show up will be a welcome surprise.

Hky is there any hope left for the western piedmont?? Hickory Shelby Lincolnton?? Thanks

The trough axis isn't good for that area, it doesn't start to round the trough until it get's further east, meaning there isn't any easterly component that far west for moisture convergence/transport. that allows downsloping to take over. i think flurries/squalls are obviously possible, but the best snows will probably be over NE NC. i'm not confident even in raleigh i'll see too much, due to the squally nature of clippers. it's hit or miss for most of us.

Issues I see for the coastal plain are two fold, one, where does any enhanced banding setup, and two, how much falls before changeover. GFS painted almost a quarter inch here, around half is rain though. 5-7 pm is the likely transition time, if we can switchover closer to 5 I will feel better, 7 not so much. Toasty 55 ATM.

Buddy1987, on 21 Jan 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:

Wow it is absolutely pouring down the darn snow right now as that little line of heavier precip is moving thru temp has responded by going from 36 and change to 34.9 it's trying like hell to stick on the driveway right now huge dendrites

Seeing a flurry or two right now as I type this. Must be headed this way. You're out in the county correct?

Archived