Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 21 Event

Poimen

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9:30 am update from KCAE for anyone in South Carolina wondering:

E HAVE ISSUED A LAKE WIND ADVISORY AND  SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT BECAUSE OF THIS WIND. LITTLE MOISTURE  WILL BE ASSOCIATED WITH THE FRONT. THE MODELS ARE IN AGREEMENT  KEEPING DEEP MOISTURE NORTH OF THE LOW. THE EXTREME NORTH PART OF  THE FORECAST MAY BE CLOSE ENOUGH TO THIS MOISTURE FOR A FEW  SHOWERS AND WE HAVE FORECASTED SLIGHT CHANCE POPS LATE THIS  AFTERNOON. TEMPERATURES WILL BE ABOVE FREEZING THROUGH THE AFTERNOON.  ADDITIONAL MOISTURE WRAPPING AROUND THE DEVELOPING LOW COULD  POSSIBLY PUSH A LITTLE FARTHER SOUTHWARD AND GET INTO LANCASTER  AND CHESTERFIELD COUNTIES THIS EVENING. THE SPC WRF SHOWS THIS  MOISTURE NEAR THE NORTH CAROLINA AND SOUTH CAROLINA BORDER. SNOW  IS NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION BUT WE BELIEVE THE CHANCE IS TOO LOW TO  INCLUDE IN THE FORECAST AT THIS TIME. STRONG H85 COLD ADVECTION  AND DOWNSLOPE FLOW WILL BE OCCURRING AT THIS TIME. THE LATEST HRRR  APPEARS TO SHOW MOISTURE LIFTING NORTHWARD BEGINNING AROUND 00Z  AND BEFORE FREEZING TEMPERATURES REACH THE AREA. IF ANY SNOW WERE  TO OCCUR IT SHOULD BE BRIEF AND LIGHT AS THE SYSTEM CONTINUES TO  LIFT NORTHEAST OF THE AREA THIS EVENING.  

In other words; no go for KCAE or most of us.

The latest RAP brings a sick band across the Triad. RDU gets screwed. It will be different in an hour.

Wonder why?

FWIW, the latest HRRR I just looked at upped the snowfall amounts a little bit around and just east of the Triangle.  Last run had a dusting to an inch area-wide.  This one now has pockets of 1-2 inches.

The latest RAP brings a sick band across the Triad. RDU gets screwed. It will be different in an hour.

I find it interesting that so many of the short term models are bringing a significant line of precip. southeast from north of the triad down through the sandhills and curving through the coastal plain.  I guess its because of the clipper-system digging so much, but I don't think I've seen anything like this before.  Anyway, I'm starting to think James might be right with the idea of thundersnow putting down a quick 1/2-1 inch in a 15-30 minute time period this evening.  The returns being depicted are stronger than what they are showing for the midatlantic and we will be so much closer to the bundled energy.  Interesting at least.

RAP_255_2014012114_F13_PCPIN_12_HR.png

Wonder why?

FWIW, the latest HRRR I just looked at upped the snowfall amounts a little bit around and just east of the Triangle.  Last run had a dusting to an inch area-wide.  This one now has pockets of 1-2 inches.

Matches up very with RGEM, precip hole for RDU….I do think just east of us may pick up 2"+, your right on the border.  RGEM on the left, RAP on the right.

post-2311-0-44652900-1390318880_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-44944500-1390318887_thumb.pn

I find it interesting that so many of the short term models are bringing a significant line of precip. southeast from north of the triad down through the sandhills and curving through the coastal plain.  I guess its because of the clipper-system digging so much, but I don't think I've seen anything like this before.  Anyway, I'm starting to think James might be right with the idea of thundersnow putting down a quick 1/2-1 inch in a 15-30 minute time period this evening.  The returns being depicted are stronger than what they are showing for the midatlantic and we will be so much closer to the bundled energy.  Interesting at least.

It's down sloping effect from the Uwharries. Apex will be in the shadow and get nada!

HRRR looks good for Eastern NC. Not sure what it was doing earlier.

I would be surprised if someone in NC doesn't see thundersnow today.

It's pretty rare, although seeing it popping up on text soundings IMBY is comforting. I'd love to see those kind of rates with this strom. If I witness thundersnow I'll be satisfied for this winter, honestly.

As of now I'm sitting at 57 with clear and sunny skies. Im forecasted for 60 with a low of 20. this is going to be fun to watch unfold.. maybe that's why the lastest models are upping their total to 1 to 2 inches in some areas due to the instability in the eastern part of the state.

From NWS Raleigh

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
AS OF 930 AM MONDAY...

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR 1 TO 2 INCHES OF SNOW POSSIBLE ACROSS
CENTRAL NC LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING...

...BLAST OF ARCTIC AIR COMBINED WITH BLUSTERY NW WINDS WILL RESULT
IN WIND CHILL VALUES IN THE SINGLE DIGITS LATE TONIGHT WEDNESDAY
MORNING...

OVERVIEW: SHORTWAVE TROUGH DIGGING SOUTHEAST THROUGH THE OH/TN
VALLEY WILL CONTINUE TO AMPLIFY AS IT MOVES THROUGH THE CAROLINAS
LATE THIS AFTERNOON/EARLY EVENING...ASSUMING A NEGATIVE TILT TONIGHT
AS IT LIFTS NE TO THE DELMARVA AND EVENTUALLY OFFSHORE BY 06-
12Z WED. AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE OVER WESTERN NC THAT HAS DEVELOPED
ALONG THE ENCROACHING ARCTIC FRONT...WILL INITIALLY MOVE VERY LITTLE
THIS MORNING...BEFORE SURGING EASTWARD BETWEEN 18 TO 00Z WITH RAPID
DEEPENING AS HE SURFACE LOW BEGINS TO ENCOUNTER THE WARM GULF STREAM
WATERS OFF THE MID ATLC COAST.

MODEL TRENDS: LATEST GFS...NAM...AND ECMWF CONTINUE TO BE IN GOOD
AGREEMENT WITH THE TRACK OF THE MID/UPPER LOW...WITH THE BASE OF THE
TROUGH PIVOTING OVER THE AREA...PUTTING CENTRAL NC IN THE PROVERBIAL
SWEET SPOT. CONSEQUENTLY...THE SECONDARY QPF AXIS ASSOCIATED WITH
THE UPPER LOW DYNAMICS RESULTS IN AN AVERAGE OF 0.10" IN THE WEST TO
0.20" IN THE EAST.

THE 12Z UPPER AIR ANALYSES SHOW THE TROUGH AXIS TO THE WEST...WITH
SIGNIFICANT H5 HEIGHT FALLS OVER TN/KY. AT H25 THERE ARE THREE
SEPARATE JET STREAKS...ONE ON EITHER SIDE AND ONE AT THE BASE OF THE
TROUGH. THIS SHOULD HELP SUPPORT THE TROUGH BECOME NEGATIVELY TILTED
AS IT PIVOTS OVER NC. A STRONG TEMPERATURE GRADIENT IS EVIDENT AT
H85...WITH CAA FROM THE NW OVER THE WESTERN HALF OF THE STATE.
ACROSS THE EAST...MORE SOUTH AND SOUTHWESTERLY FLOW WILL RESULT IN
HIGHS SOME 10-15 DEGREES WARMER THAN EXPECTED IN THE NW.

A SOLID AREA OF LIGHT PRECIP IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN TO FILL ACROSS THE
AREA BETWEEN 21 T0 00Z VIA STRONG DPVA AND COINCIDENT WITH A BAND OF
STRONG LOW/MID LEVEL FRONTOGENESIS BEHIND THE FRONT. PRECIP WILL
START OUT AS RAIN BUT WILL QUICKLY CHANGE-OVER TO SNOW AS STRONG CAA
IN THE LOW-LEVELS AND ALOFT OVERTAKE THE AREA. ANY ACCUMULATION WITH
JUST THIS FORCING/QPF ALONE WOULD BE LIGHT...PERHAPS A TRACE-DUSTING
ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE NORTHERN PIEDMONT/COASTAL PLAIN. HOWEVER...
IT SEEMS INCREASINGLY PROBABLE THAT WITHIN THIS BROAD AREA OF LIGHT
PRECIP...THAT A CONVECTIVELY ENHANCED BAND DRIVEN BY STEEPENING MID-
LEVEL LAPSE RATES BENEATH THE ATTENDANT COLD CORE COULD RESULT IN
LOCALLY HIGHER QPF AMOUNTS WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR A QUICK 1 TO 2
INCH SNOW ACCUMULATION AS SNOW-LIQUID RATIOS RAPIDLY BEGIN TO
INCREASE TO AS HIGH AS 15-20:1 BY 00Z AS THE LOW/MID LEVELS RAPIDLY
COOL. GIVEN SOUTHERN SHIFT IN MODEL GUIDANCE...THIS MESOSCALE SNOW
BAND COULD OCCUR ANYWHERE IN THE FORECAST AREA INCLUDING SOUTHERN
AND COASTAL COUNTIES WITH SUPPORT OF THE HI-RES REF SIMULATIONS.

THERE IS SOME CONCERN THAT SOME OR MUCH OF THE PRECIP THAT FALLS
WILL OCCUR AS RAIN OR AS LIGHT NON-ACCUMULATING SNOW...ESPECIALLY
ACROSS THE SOUTH/SOUTHEAST WHERE DAYTIME TEMPS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL OF
PRECIP COULD CLIMB TO NEAR 60. HOWEVER SOUTHWARD SHIFT IN GUIDANCE
JUSTIFIES AN ADVISORY FOR 1 TO 2 INCHES FOR ALL OF CENTRAL NC FOR
THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH MIDNIGHT.

It's pretty rare, although seeing it popping up on text soundings IMBY is comforting. I'd love to see those kind of rates with this strom. If I witness thundersnow I'll be satisfied for this winter, honestly.

Hell yeah I havent heard thunder in the snow since Dec 2001, liking the trends most of the high res stuff has this area getting hit decent with QPF now we just need it all to be snow, sucks I am at work all day and cant really get model runs....luckily you guys are doing a good job posting them.

Just curious... can you do one for KTDF? Thanks. 

BTW have yall notice too that it wraps up that convection in the GOM around the Vort... If it does precip totals could be higher. 

Hell yeah I havent heard thunder in the snow since Dec 2001, liking the trends most of the high res stuff has this area getting hit decent with QPF now we just need it all to be snow, sucks I am at work all day and cant really get model runs....luckily you guys are doing a good job posting them.

I heard some w/ lightning on the way to Charlotte back in December. We got that quick snow-squall that happened on the changeover. That was amazing!

Archived