• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 21 Event

Poimen

A lot of ifs involved with this but then when is it not like this.....the NAM is being the NAM, I assume since you never txt me you didn't pull the trigger on the 45-70 huh.

RWI is the place to be, PGV a fridge job, higher amounts 95 north once you get past RIC, you know the deal.  45-70 Gov't was a miss, hoping I can find that model somewhere a little cheaper down the road, or they run another batch.  Based on the EC, half of what falls if any could be RN dominant type, before a quick transition and within an hour the growth zone is smoked top to bottom.   :ee:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RWI is the place to be, PGV a fridge job, higher amounts 95 north once you get past RIC, you know the deal.  45-70 Gov't was a miss, hoping I can find that model somewhere a little cheaper down the road, or they run another batch.  Based on the EC, half of what falls if any could be RN dominant type, before a quick transition and within an hour the growth zone is smoked top to bottom.   :ee:

Yeah gotta hope we get some hard to pinpoint thus hard to forecast mesoscale help but I will be happy with a dusting.....bummer on the 45-70 another one will come along.

Most of the district did get >2", but DCA is like a slice of hell with all the warmth around the airport, LMAO.

--------------

I will worship at the altar of DT if I get 2" as he shows. I think he's just doing his typical deal where he pays no attention to NC and just draws lines, though, LOL.

1604928_635402856506976_2119743903_n.jpg 

Yeah has me in the 2-4 which I think is possible! 2-4 flakes that is... lol

My final call map... (I decided to increase totals a little bit due to trends in the models)

snowfinalcall01212014.gif

I like your map, and respect the time and effort! I think you were generous with the flurries to the south, lol. There has been alot of talk about shorts eating on here tonight, so I will eat my shorts if I see a flurry , temps also near 50 here tomorrow

I like your map, and respect the time and effort! I think you were generous with the flurries to the south, lol. There has been alot of talk about shorts eating on here tonight, so I will eat my shorts if I see a flurry , temps also near 50 here tomorrow

I can agree with that. I could see a few flurries in the upstate, but the main stuff will be in VA.

Impossible to shift a QPF axis centered in NOVA significantly south enough to matter inside 72 hours this time of year (like we saw was taking shape Sat/Sun), and with the advance in computational power and algorithms models run, trillion dollars to a donut type deal.  Shifting a secondary max 20-30 miles in the Coastal Plain, doable, but that is if the NAM/RGEM/NMM are to be believed.  Like many, I have been suckered into shoving all in on the NAM too many times, not buying it.  The 18z RGEM while more subdued, streak originates on the front end best I can tell, rather than what the NAM cooks up, which is definitely on the back.  18z reflect at 30hrs pulled from the RAH page...

conusnest_18z_refd_1000m_f30.gif

SN output pulled from the model center

attachicon.gif18zhighresnam.JPG

That looks eerily similar to 12/26/2004.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20041226/

Yeah... I guess I could have. lol. I actually have found GIMP to be a pretty good program. I had to use it in school and it is a good program. NAM is rolling so I guess lets see what it shows...

My post was a reference to a person who is no longer with us.  I think you arrived after he was shown the door.  In any event, here is a sample of his work I alluded too.

standard.jpg

That looks eerily similar to 12/26/2004.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20041226/

Core of the vortmax needs to pass over or south of GSP, RUC is a little south of the NAM, imagine it will correct once the T step is decreased to fall in line, 21z SREF is ugly, less than a tenth on the mean, with some spread into NE NC but not much, hopefully the 0z NAM trends better for this area compared to previous runs, but not holding my breath.  NAM giveth, educated guess based on the SREF, 0z NAM taketh away.  Final call, nothing to a dusting, 1/2-1" on grassy and elevated surfaces with a boom.  WWA overnight just because MHX plays it safe, and patchy ice on roads.

rap_namer_018_500_vort_ht.gif

Yeah... I guess I could have. lol. I actually have found GIMP to be a pretty good program. I had to use it in school and it is a good program. NAM is rolling so I guess lets see what it shows...

A little further south and sharper with the vort. SLP is elongated more to the south, but precip fields by 00z tomorrow are less impressive over VA mountains.

Core of the vortmax needs to pass over or south of GSP, RUC is a little south of the NAM, imagine it will correct once the T step is decreased to fall in line, 21z SREF is ugly, less than a tenth on the mean, with some spread into NE NC but not much, hopefully the 0z NAM trends better for this area compared to previous runs, but not holding my breath.  NAM giveth, educated guess based on the SREF, 0z NAM taketh away.  Final call, nothing to a dusting, 1/2-1" on grassy and elevated surfaces with a boom.  WWA overnight just because MHX plays it safe, and patchy ice on roads.

I think you are going to like the 0Z NAM...... an eastern NC special

rap_namer_018_500_vort_ht.gif

Aren't you in the 3-5" band on the 0z NAM. RDU misses the back by 20 miles. LOL.

A little further south and sharper with the vort. SLP is elongated more to the south, but precip fields by 00z tomorrow are less impressive over VA mountains.

Couple tenths over CLT, 3hr type, at 24hrs.  Not a bad run for east of 95 either, have to look a thickness plots though, some could be on the front side.

Edit

ibmLe3sacGOpgL.gif

The NAM has shifted farther south with this system. The trend was also lower amounts of QPF across VA. The NAM also tries to develop a band of precipitation across the piedmont. This is now a nowcast situation, and this clipper is performing like most clippers. As a meteorologist, I hate to predict upper level lows, especially clippers...

Lets see what happens with short term models, like the RAP. I will post the 500 mb map in a few minutes from the 01z RAP.

It looks like it's weaker with the first vort and stronger with the streak that's rushing in behind. That's probably what triggers the band over eastern NC. But it also means that the first low isn't as consolidated, as can be seen by the more elongated look on the surface.

GFS will be interesting to be sure.

Archived